Hi all

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ed.... secret of Xtracrylix is to mix with water. I spent ages trying various things but after a tip from the head of Hannants to use water i have had no real issues with it since.

First Name
Edward
I've tried both Alan - acrylic thinner and then water tonight after a quick google search. It still seems to pool and separate. it's as though there's a film of oil on the mouldings creating a repellant barrier. So frustrating as it's really degrading the finishes and causing a few "blue-air" moments.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd defo clean the model then because i don't really get that when i spray Xtracrylix.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm confident that mine looks nothing like this (nor will). I'm having issues with paint right now; the gulf war desert pink I've chosen is a nightmare. It reacts when applied by brush or airbrush and no matter how I think it (or not), it will not apply properly (Gulf war pink by Xtracrylix). The model itself is also a pig, nothing lines up, and I'm regretting getting a Kitty Hawk.

Did you notice some of the parts are also incorrectly numbered on the sprues?

HI ED yes at the start of this build i said that K/H kit of the jag was rubbish did you have much of a job fitting the main rare undercart as for me i had to do major surgery to get it all to fit ? an you like me never buy another K/H KIT again ?
chris

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I'm confident that mine looks nothing like this (nor will). I'm having issues with paint right now; the gulf war desert pink I've chosen is a nightmare. It reacts when applied by brush or airbrush and no matter how I think it (or not), it will not apply properly (Gulf war pink by Xtracrylix). The model itself is also a pig, nothing lines up, and I'm regretting getting a Kitty Hawk.

Did you notice some of the parts are also incorrectly numbered on the sprues?
Yep it was a challenge indeed. I adapted some parts and omitted others to make them work, I was determined it wasn’t going to beat me but there was hammer beside me

First Name
Edward
Oh my, NEVER will I buy Kitty Hawk again... lesson learned.

So, I am still with a fuselage, cockpit, main planes, tail, and elevators all in separate pieces, trying to get my paint to work, but have resorted to upgrading the airbrush and compressor also as they were giving me a risk of developing high blood pressure. Waiting for the new compressor to arrive on Wednesday. I've cleaned the plastics, have also developed a hatred of filler.

I am strongly contemplating creating this into a diorama of the Jags I worked on; 3rd line for a Major* services by installing them onto a scaffold trolley and gluing the main planes together in a wing trestle lol (i joke).

I will not admit defeat, but yes Chris, the main oleos were a nightmare, the wheel assemblies looked like it was prepped for some serious drifting with an unreal camber angle. It's just a really bad kit throughout.

Did anyone else have issues with parts being so brittle in the sprue they disintegrate when trying to release them? One or two of the smaller items were lost through this but nothing major.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Oh my, NEVER will I buy Kitty Hawk again... lesson learned.

So, I am still with a fuselage, cockpit, main planes, tail, and elevators all in separate pieces, trying to get my paint to work, but have resorted to upgrading the airbrush and compressor also as they were giving me a risk of developing high blood pressure. Waiting for the new compressor to arrive on Wednesday. I've cleaned the plastics, have also developed a hatred of filler.

I am strongly contemplating creating this into a diorama of the Jags I worked on; 3rd line for a Major* services by installing them onto a scaffold trolley and gluing the main planes together in a wing trestle lol (i joke).

I will not admit defeat, but yes Chris, the main oleos were a nightmare, the wheel assemblies looked like it was prepped for some serious drifting with an unreal camber angle. It's just a really bad kit throughout.

Did anyone else have issues with parts being so brittle in the sprue they disintegrate when trying to release them? One or two of the smaller items were lost through this but nothing major.
HI ED yea that K/H jag is such a let down it promised so much with the flashy leaflet showin colour scemes an i was really impressed with it when i first looked through the kit as i made the hatches fitted with tiny hinges so they could be open or shut an the same on the engine covers but they were miles out of alignment as was the rear main undercart an like mick i had a hammer to hand in case i lost it but like you both i stuck with it as i fitted in 2mm leds for nav lights an landing lights an i built it but i had to use some plasti card on the fusealarge but a K/H KIT NEVER AGAIN ps also the decals were rubbish as when i put them in the water they just splintered an fell apart so i had to use whatever decals did stay whole
chris

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ed i see you managed to build it then an you made a very nice job of it too how did you get on the main undercart an engine covers ? as my kit was miles out an i had to do major surgury with a dremel an a daimon cutter an fit in place the main undercart with plarti card an on the back undercart it all had to be moved forward an can we please see some more close up pics of it as i loved the jag as i see them in real in this colour up at RAF COLTISHALL
CHRIS

• Wow
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Turned out well after your battle with the paint Ed.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ed...you sure showed whose boss with this kit. The behind the scenes must have been brutal and it looks like its worth it to be placed on the mantle front and center.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Ed welcome to the group. I'm a big fan of Jags and the Kitty Hawk builds up nice but does put up a fight. Look forward to seeing it. My effort but still needs a RAF pilot
HI Mick dint u get a pilot ? in your kit or am i wrong as i thought there was one
chris

Last edited:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Apologies for the lateness of my welcome and congratulations on 'taming the beast'. I've had to avail myself of the services of the sprog service on numerous occasion - generally not your 'part of ship' though! Welcome again and I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do, they're something of a motley crew as you've doubtless noticed!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very nice result Ed. More pics would be nice.

PS Welcome aboard.