HO 80s/90s CSX, NS, & Conrail layout resurrection.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
WOW.
Its been great following this Paul , hope your pleased.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys. It came out pretty good I think. Way more than it needed to be, as it is in a far corner. I'm pretty burnt out on train stuff right now, so will revert back to military stuff for a bit. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Thanks for your support guys. Right side of control panel pretty much done.
View attachment 366371
View attachment 366370
PaulE

Wow Paul your wiring is similar to mine , same idea in plug and play, I will post some of my pics of my control panel and DC wire madness which I will be improving in rewiring the new modules. I love to see pics of your military train, yes I too have a 25 spine car trailer train , two container trains .

I love your container yard, mine may be beside the house..

Tony

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Tony, calculate the voltage drop for your longest run. With your distances & the low voltage DC we use it may be an issue. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Tony, calculate the voltage drop for your longest run. With your distances & the low voltage DC we use it may be an issue. PaulE

Hi Paul , I don't think I will have an issue with voltage issues as I have a block system, hope I am the right Tony will have to wait till the layout is up and running, my transformers are 6 amp for the main line.

Tony

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
When I figured mine, 6amps, 12vdc, 14guage copper wire, x 25' run, the voltage drop was .75vdc. P'aulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
When I figured mine, 6amps, 12vdc, 14guage copper wire, x 25' run, the voltage drop was .75vdc. P'aulE

Hi Paul, I use 12 volt strand wire for my bus wires, about 12 strands don't know the gauge of the wire, you can use solid copper wire for feeder wires,, I use a smaller wire and cover heat shrink perfect stuff nice and neat.

Pulling out all the bus wires that connect to the main terminal strips .

Tony.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Paul, here is a pic of my bus block terminal strips I use, plan to make a harness to link up all 20 blocks to switch to DCC end of the year.

20200622_160308.jpg
I plan to also unscrew the panel board the terminal strips are screwed to a lighter module, this module was one of the first I built used heaver ply.

All the wires underneath will be pulled out to and rewired better to what I had before a mess.

Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I shudder to think, what a project. PaulE

Hi Paul, yeah, see what it is like when we get home today if I go down to the shed and pull out all the wiring and start again, be much more tidy and easier to trace if any issues,
the block bus wiring will have to be spot on for when I swap to DCC.

Tony

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Paul, yeah, see what it is like when we get home today if I go down to the shed and pull out all the wiring and start again, be much more tidy and easier to trace if any issues,
the block bus wiring will have to be spot on for when I swap to DCC.

Tony
HI Tony well if you gonna rewire the lot you are gonna be busy an what does this
DCC. stand for ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony well if you gonna rewire the lot you are gonna be busy an what does this
DCC. stand for ?
chris

Afternoon Chris, how are you going hear it is hot in the UK and as usual down the beach the social distance was out the window what I saw on the news.
Yes rewiring the lot will reuse as much wire as I can as wire is expensive, I use heat shrink now not tape any more, no work today will tomorrow hopefully on the bridge.

I am not sure what DCC stands for I think digital command control., joined the two stern sections together , tonight , a bit of a gap because I didn't line the bulkheads up pretty hard using cardboard sheets, at least I can fix that once I glue the two sections together .

It is very cold here 1 degrees, cold in the front bedroom, how is the tiger going .

Tony.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Afternoon Chris, how are you going hear it is hot in the UK and as usual down the beach the social distance was out the window what I saw on the news.
Yes rewiring the lot will reuse as much wire as I can as wire is expensive, I use heat shrink now not tape any more, no work today will tomorrow hopefully on the bridge.

I am not sure what DCC stands for I think digital command control., joined the two stern sections together , tonight , a bit of a gap because I didn't line the bulkheads up pretty hard using cardboard sheets, at least I can fix that once I glue the two sections together .

It is very cold here 1 degrees, cold in the front bedroom, how is the tiger going .

Tony.
HI Tony yea its bloomin hot as jen is out in her bi kiny lol sun bathin but its makin no difference to me as my tiger slipway room is facein away from the sun an with the windows open im gettin a nice cool brezze to work in an yea tiger is comin on im very pleased at the speed its goin togeather at AN some more pics Tony of what you are doin
CHRIS

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Used one for the Around the Christmas Tree Super Chief. Couldn't imagine where it is now. PaulE