IBG Autocannone 3RO with 90/53 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul would you.please elaborate a bit on those strips of plate for your crew step ? And did you solder that or was CA glue sufficient ? What I have are rolls of burnishing sheet (brass , aluminum, copper) but they're all basically thick foil and very malleable. Is that plate a more rigid material, and can you possibly recommend a tutorial to work with that type of material ?

Reactions: JR

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul would you.please elaborate a bit on those strips of plate for your crew step ? And did you solder that or was CA glue sufficient ? What I have are rolls of burnishing sheet (brass , aluminum, copper) but they're all basically thick foil and very malleable. Is that plate a more rigid material, and can you possibly recommend a tutorial to work with that type of material ?
Hi Ron,
The step plates are cut from sheets of PE tread plate and folded to suit. The arms of the steps are made from strips of sheet ally just cut and folded. All glued together with normal CA glue. The only thing I do as do a few other modellers is to score the glue points with the tip if a hobby knife to give a rough surface to help the glue bond better. The only other thing to add is if you want the brass easier to bend you can anneal it by heating to a dull to bright red and quenching in water. HTH

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The gun platform is now done. The construction was pretty straight forward with only a little flash in places.

DSCF3285.JPG

The retractable stabilisers had a retaining pin. But I added a lock pin and chain to these.

DSCF3280.JPG

Next a cable for the rear number plate light

DSCF3282.JPG

Finally the etch mud guards

DSCF3283.JPG

The keen eyed amongst you will notice the piece of white plastic which I forgot to take out this was used to support the etch as I bent it to shape.

Next the ordnance.

Cheers
Scottie

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron,
The step plates are cut from sheets of PE tread plate and folded to suit. The arms of the steps are made from strips of sheet ally just cut and folded. All glued together with normal CA glue. The only thing I do as do a few other modellers is to score the glue points with the tip if a hobby knife to give a rough surface to help the glue bond better. The only other thing to add is if you want the brass easier to bend you can anneal it by heating to a dull to bright red and quenching in water. HTH
Thank you Paul , good looking out !

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The assembly of the ordnance went well with no fit issues. The barrel halves married up well with only a gnats amount of filler required.
DSCF3286.JPG

DSCF3287.JPG

Next the gun shield. I decided to have a go at scratching a new one as the kit one all though well detailed is a bit over scale on thickness. This was fun to do with the compound angles of the plates and the internal bracing. It will all be cleaned up when totally dry. Then about 4 million rivets lol.

DSCF3288.JPG

cheers
Scottie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a catch up Paul. Looking rather splendid bud. The extra work is lifting this to the stratosphere :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There an't enough words in the thesaurus !
However the committee were last seen dancing and partying while looking at the build Paul.:smiling3::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just had a catch up Paul. Looking rather splendid bud. The extra work is lifting this to the stratosphere :thumb2:
Thanks Tim very nice of you.
There an't enough words in the thesaurus !
However the committee were last seen dancing and partying while looking at the build Paul.:smiling3::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Hi John, please thank the committee but still a long way to go yet.
Looks amazing, the detail is out of this world.
Gary, too kind mate.
I'm glad to see you are restraining yourself from going overboard...
Neil, I had to smile when I read that.
Totally amazing work paul as always , your scratching skills of tiny items and attention to detail is unparalleled . Cheers tony
Tony, I just try and make a model last so I don't have to buy another one so soon ;) :smiling: ;) :smiling:
Hi Scottie
The others have said it already so all I'll add is "Bloody 'ell that's good".
Jim
Jim, I'm blushing here,

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Looks the Dog's Scottie.........I actually haven't counted but it appears to be hundreds, in my estimation.....enough to make anyone dizzy in the scale I work with. ;) Rick H.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Looks great fitted and painting and weathering will really make the effort worthwhile.
Jim