Italeri 1/35 Bedford Truck

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m not an expert on the gun, but I don’t recall offhand any with a muzzle brake in North Africa, meaning they must be Mk. II guns. You can convert the Tamiya gun easily enough too by reducing the barrel length, of course. About 11 mm back from the ring by which the muzzle brake attaches to the barrel should do it. Alternatively, the barrel length was apparently 254 cm on the real L/43 gun (which is closer to L/44, but hey …) so you could measure 254 ÷ 35 = 72.5 mm from the front face of the breech block and cut the barrel there. This is probably better than reducing the gun from the muzzle end, because who says the kit’s barrel length is accurate?

I mainly mentioned the (old) Italeri gun because that’s better detailed than the Tamiya one, but if you want to go with the latter — why not? :smiling3:

J

James Robert Noble

The old Italeri kit (which, as Simon mentions above, is now produced by Zvezda) is of the 57 mm antitank gun M1, which was the American version of the British 6-pounder anti-tank gun. The very first British guns, the Mk. I, had an L/50 barrel too, but a lack of lathes long enough to produce them meant most of the initial production, the Mk. II, used L/43 barrels instead, without a muzzle brake — this is the one that would have been used in North Africa. The Mk. IV had the L/50 barrel, with a muzzle brake in British service but not on the American guns. In 1:35 scale, the L/43 barrel would be about 11.5 mm shorter than the L/50 gun (without muzzle brake), so the simplest way to convert the Zvezda kit would be to just remove that much from its barrel and add the British wheels from the Tamiya kit. I’m sure there would be more details that need changing, but these two would be the most obvious things to modify.

A little research turns up that there are much more modern kits of this gun from AFV Club and Riich Models; the latter is apparently also sold in a Bronco box. The Zvezda one would be the cheaper option, though, and of about the same age and detail as your Bedford :smiling3:

I posted my question about the muzzle brake before I saw your post Jakko! Many thanks buddy! :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi James
Welcome to this very friendly forum. It looks as if you're off to a good start. The PE will add a nice extra level of detail.
Jim

J

James Robert Noble

Hi James
Welcome to this very friendly forum. It looks as if you're off to a good start. The PE will add a nice extra level of detail.
Jim

Thanks Jim! Really happy to be on the forum buddy! :thumb2:

A very warm welcome from the guys on my first Post and I am glad Jakko and Simon have pointed me in the right direction regards the 6 Pdr!

I think I will go with Jakko's advice with just cutting back the Tamiya Kit.

Found this interesting site with lots of info on the Desert Rats.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
6 Pounders with a muzzle break on the 50 cal came into effect, I believe, in August 1942 so plenty of time to see service in North Africa. However I have never seen a muzzle break on one in the back of a truck. However your build your rules :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
6 Pounders with a muzzle break on the 50 cal came into effect, I believe, in August 1942
I couldn’t find the introduction date when I was looking for it this morning. Earlier than I thought, I must say.

However I have never seen a muzzle break on one in the back of a truck.
I don’t recall any photos from North Africa showing them. Plenty in the UK (on training) and North-West Europe, of course, but that Bedford wasn’t used there AFAIK.

However your build your rules :thumb2:
+1 :smiling3:

J

James Robert Noble

Really good to have you around again James.

Hi Peter! How are you buddy? It's really good to be around! And without doubt in and around such esteemed company!

Looking forward to seeing your amazing figures and painting again Amigo! :thumb2:

I hope you and all yours are very well.

Best Regards
James

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome buddy .
Needless to say James I was chuffed to see your name come up the other day, another x member of the " other house "
That's looking good, so pulling up a chair, any coffee ?

J

James Robert Noble

Mr Race! Coffee will be served at regular intervals with the good biscuits on request! :tongue-out3:
Glad to have you front row my old friend!

Had family engagements all weekend and another tonight so no more Bling applied but hoping to get stuck in after work tomorrow.
Will fire up some more pics as it develops.

Reactions: JR
J

James Robert Noble

Hello Scottie! Great to see you too Buddy! How are you? Hope all is well with you Amigo!
Yes! It was your amazing build and work on the Bedford that inspired me to pick up this kit! Absolutely stunning! :cool:
Have you got any pics of your Portee? I would love to see it again! Ping them up right here if you want?

I won't complete any figures with this build Scottie as my figure game is still very weak but I did do a couple with the Tamiya LRDG that I completed a while back.

What are you working on now fella?

Best Regards
James

J

James Robert Noble

I couldn’t find the introduction date when I was looking for it this morning. Earlier than I thought, I must say.

I don’t recall any photos from North Africa showing them. Plenty in the UK (on training) and North-West Europe, of course, but that Bedford wasn’t used there AFAIK.

+1 :smiling3:

Steve is bang on the money regards that 50 Cal standard issue date Jakko so it is possible it saw action in North Africa but I am struggling to find even 1 Photo of it in the desert.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello Scottie! Great to see you too Buddy! How are you? Hope all is well with you Amigo!
Yes! It was your amazing build and work on the Bedford that inspired me to pick up this kit! Absolutely stunning! :cool:
Have you got any pics of your Portee? I would love to see it again! Ping them up right here if you want?

I won't complete any figures with this build Scottie as my figure game is still very weak but I did do a couple with the Tamiya LRDG that I completed a while back.

What are you working on now fella?

Best Regards
James

All is well thanks hope all is good with you and yours. I'm working on a this at the moment https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/scotties-puma-aagb.33829/.
Just as a reminder here are some Portee Pics.

DSCF0608.JPG

DSCF0595.JPG

DSCF0599.JPG

cheers
Scottie

J

James Robert Noble

Oooooooh! That is what I am talking about Scottie! :smiling4:

Superb! Lovely detailing and weathering! Such a great diorama! I love it!

Scottie? Did your 6 Pdr come with Kit? Can you tell me please how you made the Muzzle cover? As that may be the solution to my Tamiya Kit with Muzzle Brake.

All is well with me thanks buddy. Back into our favourite hobby and enjoying it very much! :thumb2:

Best Regards
James

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Oooooooh! That is what I am talking about Scottie! :smiling4:

Superb! Lovely detailing and weathering! Such a great diorama! I love it!

Scottie? Did your 6 Pdr come with Kit? Can you tell me please how you made the Muzzle cover? As that may be the solution to my Tamiya Kit with Muzzle Brake.

All is well with me thanks buddy. Back into our favourite hobby and enjoying it very much! :thumb2:

Best Regards
James

Hi Mate, Yes the 6Pdr. was included as this was the Airfix offering. with a little bit of work it scrubbed up quite well. The muzzle cover was made from milliput just formed arounf the end then a bit of cotton wrapped around it.

J

James Robert Noble

Brilliant mate. Looking at your model has got me reved up to hit the bench as soon as I get home from work tonight! :thumb2:

J

James Robert Noble

It wouldn’t fix the length of the barrel :smiling3:
Aaaah! Good point Jakko! It's been a long week! :tears-of-joy: I could still cut back at the breech block as you suggested and use something similar to Scotties scratch Cover. I have even looked for a RB Barrel to replace the Tamiya Kit Part but no joy.