Langy's 'The Mekon', 1/16 scale figure by Mooncrest models.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
So this will be my entry for the Jakko's Movie/ TV star group build,

For those of us who aren't aware who or what 'The Mekon' is,

The Mekon was created by scientific experimentation by Treen scientists on Venus , he was specifically engineered for a very high intelligence and as such he had a swollen head containing his massive brain and atrophied body, due to his atrophied body he moved around on a levitating chair. He has a lifespan of three centuries,

He typically invented new super-weapons in the pursuit of his goal : 'the domination of the universe for the purpose of scientific research'. fortunately he was constantly thwarted at every turn by Col Daniel Mcgregor Dare, Dan Dare to his friends and later by Dan's great-great-great grandson Daniel Dare.

The Mekon is known to frequently display personal hatred for Dare and refers to him as "the Earthman who taught the Mekon how to hate".
These stories played out weekly in the comic 'Eagle', even going on to star in an animated TV show released in early 2002

The model
This is a 'mixed media' kit containing both resin and 3d printed parts, it has a low part count, the devil is in the detail and painting...

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7985.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7987.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Didn’t buy the Eagle but was an avid Space 2000AD reader. Anyhoo, I do know who the Mekon is and I am interested to see how this unusual figure kit comes together. The sculpt looks very good.
Looks like a fun build
Cheer, P

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Now that takes me back. I was a regular Eagle reader, my grandmother used to buy it for me when I was small, I got to read it every Sunday when we visited her and my grandfather.
I used to have to read my big brother's copy.
Nobody ever mentions poor old Digby, Dan's faithful batman!
Pete

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
looks very cool, but why oh why do casters insist on drilling out the pupils for ! - pet hate - rant over
that's a good point Steve, what's an easy way of filling them to make them 'more' life like ?

Gonna make a start on this over the weekend..(been way to busy with work all week to even contemplate opening the box..)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES I Remember dan dare an the mekon as we used to listen to it on the raido an me an my brothers took turns holding the eletric wire as it was the type of ole fashion wire what would not stay togeather when you twisted it so hold it an get a eletric shock but not bad as we stood on a bit of rubber mat but we enjoyed it an always tuned in COR just think if we had a tv an the braodcast system in them days would seem like magic how we got now
chrisb

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
And we're off the blocks.... (despite saying to Mrs L I was going to wash my car...lol),

just the head and legs joined, but working on the join lines...(the pencil marks on the head)....although they're not that bad at all.. anybody got an idea for 'replacing /creating the skin texture on the head where I've sanded bits away ?

I can see a trip to my local hobby shop for green paints in my near future....

IMG_7990.jpg

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
To fill them in , some Vallejo putty, milliputt or any two part epoxy filler
Thanks Steve, I did contemplate using a thin skin of the revell putty I found in the bottom of the draw,

Also, I've potentially come up with a plan for replacing the 'lost' texture, I'm gonna have a crack at laying a cellulose sponge on the fresh putty..hopefully when pressed down it may transfer the 'bubble' texture across...