Late 1940's French Street Scene 1/35. Scratch built buildings, MB figures and Tamiya car .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Excellent prep work mate, making the template certainly does help with the scale and the look.
Thanks Paul, think it's worth the effort .

Hi John
Your research was clearly time well spent. Your layout has some really nice angles.
Jim
Glad you think so Jim :thumb2:
Glad you’ve found something to get your teeth into Mr R, coming along nicely so far :smiling4:
Thanks Si , in-between the garden and this along with any jobs from Christine I should be ok .

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
John,
can't be a French street scene without a pissoir!!! ................... and will you have a man in a stripy shirt & a beret?
Do you remember the 'Onion Johnny' ? In the 60's, we used to get them regularly - complete with beret, moustache, blue & white stripy shirt - and a bicycle festooned with strings of onions.............. long since gone, along with the horse and cart Rag and Bone man - and the knife sharpener, with his trick bike! Seems like a century ago.........................
Dave
"Any ol' iron, rags an' booones ...?!" And everybody nipping out to pick up the droppings for the allotment ... And what about the lemonade truck (R Whites?) with the peculiar stepped back on which the crates rested?
Steve

Reactions: JR

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
John, I'll quietly sit the back, and I can offer goods if they're needed in the form of another bicycle, an unfortunately German woman (has the emblem on her tunic) and an elderly Soviet lady.
Kits are from the schwimwagen kit (bicycle and German woman) that I got for the last dio I did (Italeri kit no 313) and a Soviet troop set, can look up the kit reference later if you like.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit more done to the building faces, takes time for each thin coat of filler to dry.
Also started on the pavement.
2022_2.jpg
All those over hangs of the blue foam are to allow for the building angle. Need to allow this to fully dry before a light sanding and another coat where required.

Since the photo was taken the stone sets have been imprinted. Got to look for some gully drain covers, sure I still have some Peter Gilson sent me some years ago.

2022_3.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
That is an excellent start. The extra bits on the blue foam for the corners :thumb2:. That's experience and planning - I suspect I would have messed up there :rolling:
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice sir. You must be very pleased with how it is all going. Keep it coming my friend
Thanks Steve , slow it is , but the building face drying is the worst part. Of course could start on some figures, but then it's more mess on the bench !

John,
Looking good mate, the pavement is very convincing.
Thanks Paul .

Hi John
That is an excellent start. The extra bits on the blue foam for the corners :thumb2:. That's experience and planning - I suspect I would have messed up there :rolling:
Jim
Kind of you to say Jim , nearly didn't happen ! :smiling3:
Do like the fact that you can sand the blue foam, something you can't do a lot of with the foam board .

Thanks guys appreciate the comments.

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK. So who's the ' "chubby" little pastry babe'? What am I missing?
Dave , I think Rick is hopping for some buxom serving girl. Unfortunately I don't have any figures to suit .:smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
She's the sister of the kraut "potato peeler" that JR wanted in my chow wagon I cobbled together awhile back..........
Rick ,I remember asking you for one, we can live in hope I suppose.
As I said to Dave nothing to suit :loudly-crying:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's coming on very nicely John. Particularly like the pavement!!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's coming on very nicely John. Particularly like the pavement!!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew :smiling3:
Just changed the pavement Andrew, and the width of the entrance. Will look better .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've never seen anyone so not board with boards and enjoying like crazy. I know what it's like when you find the right material to work with, John.
Plan is looking good with some nice angles to the building. It's my favorite part of dio making too.

Cheers,
Richard