Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, this is a very effective looking stream. When you come to add ripples you might want to try using an empty airbrush to blow ripples and waves into the medium, this method can create some very effective wave patterns.

Best of luck
John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
That looks superb. The first pour must have done a perfect seal for the second. Looking forward to the next stages.
Jim
Thanks Jim, sealed perfectly it did.

Richard, this is a very effective looking stream. When you come to add ripples you might want to try using an empty airbrush to blow ripples and waves into the medium, this method can create some very effective wave patterns.

Best of luck
John
Thanks John B, I was thinking of using a straw and forgot about the airbrush...free air and less effort. Thanks for reminding me. There are areas I need building up of a wave pattern...should be interesting.

I have taken off the gates and realised I over poured the end stage of the stream. I would have liked it shallower. I have also managed to remove the masks for the bridge legs. Some were easy but two needed a bit of digging. Dry fitted the bridge with some fettling and scraping.

E85.jpg

Sliced off the edge that curved up and will smoothen it and varnish before the ripples are put in.

E88.jpg

Needs a little tidying and repainting the black.

E89.jpg

The bridge didn't quite fit so might either carve the resin or the bridge legs itself to get it down.

E90.jpg

Little gaps where the resin meets the legs can be filled with more resin.

E86.jpg

I like this angle from the waterfall...

E87.jpg

Am quite pleased with my first clear resin water pour.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hat well and truly doffed Richard.
A great result , those little touches that you made at the beging like the water falls have really worked now the resin has been added. As to the bridge not seating yet that's nothing really. Considering the effort you made with the dummy legs and then having to remove then from the dried resin , that in itself a challenge as the resin must have been drawn into the fibers.
Most of us when trying water have have battled to have it flat with a few movement waves at the end .
Very impressive indeed and realistic.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you John Patience,
I'm having a ball with this resin thingy and the excavation of the mask was brutal and I didn't even wince cutting into the resin. Lucky thing I covered the dummy legs with cello-tape so that helped. Getting resin to flatten is easy as it reacts like water and the plane remains horizontal which ever way you tilt the base unlike silicone sealants thats extruded in those canisters from hardware shops that don't settle.

The trick is to get it clear and then only work in the waves and ripples with other mediums like Hodge Podge, White Glue or even clear silicone paste if you can get past the smell.

Still lots to do before I get the water looking the way I want. You'll see the difference once I'm done.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here's to show you the carving I had to do to get the legs to sit in snugly...

E91.jpg

Basically the angled beams were the problem so all four sides were carved and sliced with a sharp blade. The resin was easy to slice although it's hard to the touch.

E92.jpg

Sits in nicely now. I would have preferred the water falling further down but I haven't another layer on the base to work with.

E93.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Richard, I had the impression the resin would be hard to cut in to.
Nice addition with the leaves :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking very nice indeed. I am glad you were able to cut the holes for the bridge supports. The weeds etc do give a great impression of movement.
Jim

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Just had a catch up Richard, the resin pour has gone very nicely, the leaves on the waterfalls are a nice touch.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Very nice Richard, I had the impression the resin would be hard to cut in to.
Nice addition with the leaves :thumb2:
Thanks John, me too until I got the blade onto it. Saw some pictures of leaves flowing over waterfalls and thought why not if it works.

Hi Richard
Looking very nice indeed. I am glad you were able to cut the holes for the bridge supports. The weeds etc do give a great impression of movement.
Jim
Thank you Jim, yup me too, I was apprehensive at first seeing how the resin clung to the masks. The ripples will show even more movement.

Just had a catch up Richard, the resin pour has gone very nicely, the leaves on the waterfalls are a nice touch.
Yes, saw your catch up in the likes Graeme. Lucky first try with the pour and I saw that in a picture and thought I'd try it.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, my attempt using white glue didn't turn out as planned, it all went flat and the detail disappeared when it cured. Since I can't get any Hodge Podge from the art shop because of MCO restrictions I used Deluxe Making Waves. First making rough wave ridges emerging from under the bridge and later to try the straw blowing over it.

This is the first of the first wave ridges...

E94.jpg

The waves are still setting and when that happens I will then add more of the paste and blow with the straw to blend it to the smoother areas. When that is done I will then paint in the crests with white and areas with turbulence. As it is it's starting to clear.

E95.jpg

Meanwhile I found the Kamizukuri laser cut paper jungle leaves and shrubs I thought I had lost. These will line the banks and around the jungle.

E96.jpg

It'll take a while to assemble the cut paper into the shrubs I need so come back later once done.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Sorry the PVA ripples didn't work although I suppose it could have been expected to likely flow out flat :rolling:
The Making Waves looks good. I've not come across those paper leaves/shrubs. I'll have to Google Kamizukuri.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Sorry the PVA ripples didn't work although I suppose it could have been expected to likely flow out flat :rolling:
The Making Waves looks good. I've not come across those paper leaves/shrubs. I'll have to Google Kamizukuri.
Jim
Hi Jim, it was funny how I chased the glue all round the surface and it just settled down flat and the bottle says it's the new formula that doesn't run. :tears-of-joy:
Making wave I think behaves like Hodge Podge but it takes ages to cure and become clear. I will try the straw blowing and see if it works. Might even try mixing white glue with Making Waves and experiment. Look up Passion Models who carry the Kamizukuri product range. Or just google Kamizukuri.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
All looking very nice mate the stream is coming on well.
Thanks Scottie. Crafting the flow is quite difficult as I need to skillfully apply the paste in spots where the stream bed determines the crest of the waves like if there is a stone underneath then the water wave is higher as it flows over the stone. Slowly getting the hang of it. Good thing I can see the bottom.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I took time out from the water making to chill out with foliage making. Turns out it is as time consuming and nerve wracking to get it natural looking.

This is what's in the packing...lots of laser cut outs and very fiddly...
Previously I had pre-sprayed green on one of the sheets and have decided to do that after assembling perhaps to save paint with the spray concentrating on the close bunch.

E97.jpg

On close up you can see that Kamizukuri even provide engraved detail on the leaves...another 20 or so bunches to go.

E98.jpg

My tools to shape the leaves rather than leaving them flat and the sharp nose plier to twist the wire branches...

E99.jpg

I'll save you the torture and show the finished set of leaves and bushes needed for the stream bank.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Made some little progress today as it was SWMBO's birthday today I made sure I spent as little time on the bench and helped around in the house. :smiling5:Made Lemon Sole dinner. The butter, lemon, thyme and parsley sauce was a hit with the fish.

Anyway here's the little that I did...
Cut out a new batch of the previous leaves and burnished them so they don't look flat.

E100.jpg

Then cut out some ferns where I'll be attaching wire stems that will help shape the curve of the fern.

E101.jpg

Also cut these out waiting for stems...

E102.jpg

Made some of these with masking tape and wire.

E103.jpg

Twisted out some large yam leaf plants from an old batch of plants where the brand escapes me. The banana plant also is from that same brand. I'll be knocking out two of those...one large one shown below which will get the dried bark effects later.

E104.jpgE105.jpg

Starting to organise the plants and deciding where they will be placed.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Please pass on my birthday wishes to your better half. The fish sounded delicious. The vegetation is coming on nicely.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Indeed the plants do look good. Happy birthday to your good lady.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard you've always been a dab hand with making plants and these are coming on well.
Yes Birthday Greeting to the managerment .