Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ditto! Stunning work. Now we have two more for our delectation. Luvly jubly

D

Deleted member 6559

Kind words chaps - thank you.

I mean room for improvement in a positive way - being able to see where improvements can be made is what it's all about.

D

Deleted member 6559

Here's Pappy's head:

100_5283.JPG100_5284.JPG100_5285.JPG

I don't know what Pavol Ovecka was on when he sculpted this, but we have one wrinkly dude. Looks nothing like Pappy Boyington, and a b****r to paint, but it will work (I think).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I mean room for improvement in a positive way - being able to see where improvements can be made is what it's all about.
I know Peter. You can be thrilled and proud but as you say there are always new things to try out, to change, to improve - just becomes harder when your painting is already so good.

As for Pappy. Beautifully painted but he has been sculpted with character plus!!
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Thanks. I've done a bit more work to try and resolve the area between the eyebrows, though it is pretty much as sculpted - I'm not going to try paring it down now, I also get the feeling he should have a cigar on the right side of his mouth, so may try adding one.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've just had a look at the bust on the Mitches site and they've changed the title to one USMC Pilot Joe Foss:

joefoss.jpgfoss_joe_painting.jpg

A much better likeness, and a stogie to boot.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
A film "noire" classic

And a character full head too, the sculptors style is clearly there with this and the previous Johnny bust

Apart for filler or Oil of Ulay, it is what it is and well painted too.

Seems we have a run of clear and bright weather ahead, should be quiet at work, hopefully!

And 2 busy nights for me, I am being conscripted to the cat ladies night out tonight with Anna, all the volunteers at our local cat rescue hit Witherspoons for "tea"

Save Me LOL

And the stage play, Girl on a Train tomorrow, this should be good.

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

• Love
Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Thank you

Steve - I'm glad Mitches resolved who this is meant to be. Ovecka doesn't always capture a complete likeness, but he was never that far off. 'Alien' has got to be one of my favourites - an almost perfect film. I've seen it so many times.

Enjoy tea with the cat ladies - sounds a scream - and hope the play lives up to expectations.

Jack - Glad you approve of the painting. It's a real shame about the brow issue. I've done some more work on it, but am going to leave it now.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
What Jack said. Stunning. You certainly have the bit between your teeth now

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you chaps.

I always remember the furore I caused with one of my early builds on another site, where I had apparently painted a Luftwaffe life-vest too yellow. The uniform police were not happy and gave me hell about it. Since then, I've approached life vests with trepidation, though Vallejo Buff highlighted with Light Yellow seems to be acceptable.
Oh I remember that well , nearly as bad as my incorrect barrel !
Think this is one of your top busts, that jacket is just perfection.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6559

The head's finished:

100_5290.JPG

Very rare that it takes me two sessions to finish a head, but this is one detailed bust.

I've fiddled about a bit with the brow, to try and make some sense of the wrinkles, and I think this is the best it's going to get. I've also made a chin strap and a cigar, which nicely fills the odd gap on the right side of the mouth, as was obviously intended by the sculptor. I've tried to give the glass of the goggles and orangey shine - I did go brighter, but it looked a bit OTT, so it was toned down somewhat.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Jim.

Niggle, niggle, niggle and I think I've sorted out that pesky brow:

100_5295.JPG

I decided to see what would happen if I moved the corners of the eyebrows over some of the creases at the top of the nose. I think it looks much, much better. I really will leave it alone now.

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Stuart
Hi Peter

As always cracking work - how do you do the 12 '0' clock shadow? very subtle

Thanks
Stu