More Figures for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Neil - My fault this time for bringing up the subject. My problem is that I have anisometropia, a big difference in the focal length between each eye, so I need special prescriptions. I do think it is all about the luck of the draw with opticians.

Pete - Sounds like we've had similar experiences.

John - I've been told that you're paying for the expertise...

OK, the uniform on this chap is done:

100_4562.JPG100_4563.JPG100_4564.JPG

I really enjoyed painting the Field Grey on this one. For a plastic figure, the modelling of the clothing gives most resin versions a run for their money.

Not sure how much time I'll have to work on him over the weekend - optician's tomorrow (!!!!!!), then my son's seventeenth birthday on Sunday. He's voted for a family trip to the British Museum - strange boy, but a lad after my own heart.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A mighty fine effort my friend.Never would have thought it was a plastic kit.I think the enjoyment gained shows in the painting.Personally i think its up there with best DML did.I wish they had carried on with the series.
Im eager to see what next pops out from the compendium of parts i sent you.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps.

I've made most of these Dragon figures Richard, and some of them are very good indeed, although I wish they'd done a few more non-Nazi subjects. It's getting very hard to get hold of them now in the UK unfortunately.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Great work on the modulation, inspiring stuff, time to get out the field grey.

Pardon the pun but it looks like the glasses issue will need looking into, and don't spare their embarrassment, they should get it right, that's why specs cost so much!

Enjoy the Museum, what a sensible young man.

Catch up after the mini winter has past over, 2 C here this morning

Brrr!

Have a positive and combative visit to the opticians and a relaxing Sunday.

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My word that a piece of painting to be proud of Peter.

I've been to just about every major opticians over the years and independents, my local Vision Express optician is a fantastic chap and has given me the best service ever. I think when they get some one with a complex eye problem they either enjoy the challenge to get the prescription right or they find it too time consuming and hurry to get you out. It's all about sales to some .
Hope you get things sorted, to be told you will get used to them is not right .
John .

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I would have posted earlier but all the talk of biccies and I had to go to the shops for some choccie hobnobs :smiling2:
My wife had a very poor experience with Specsavers. Months of complaining and eventually a full refund. Went to an independent opticians and although more expensive total satisfaction.
I do like this figure. The face in particular is superb - a slight tweeking of your palette?
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Cold and wet here - not great for a trip to London tomorrow. Perhaps I'll argue that I need to stay and look after the dog.

John - Katherine says she's coming with me to the optician - now they're for it!

Jim - I'm always tweaking my palette! I haven't done anything differently except to perhaps up the contrasts a bit. I've become more aware of the fact that Field Grey can look a bit boring unless it's well modulated (not that I've managed it here).

I've got most of his gear on:

100_4565.JPG100_4566.JPG100_4568.JPG100_4569.JPG

D

Deleted member 6559

Steven. Thanks. I'm trying a bit harder with this one!

Neil. Thanks also. Funnily enough, I found the entrenching tool the hardest part. I stripped it down twice before coming up with the final finish. The handle has the wood grain moulded into it, which helps.

I've been let off going to London tomorrow (anxiety mounting, hate trains, hate London, which I can say after having lived there for 21 years, and no-one to look after the dog), so should get this done tomorrow.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
London argggh.I had to summon my.courage to use underground last week.Hate the blasted thing,The heat,Ignorant rude people shoving.Luckily only 5 stops and changed and x2 stops to Pimlico.My eyes arent so good now.Have to use optivisor now and close up work not so easy.
Stunning paint job Mr.D.I wish Dragon would have done more U.S stuff and more Vietnam stuff.
Hope the old mince pies get sorted mate.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - I've got out of going to London, thank goodness - too many associations with the bad old days.

Glasses sorted. They reckon they hadn't been fitted properly, but to be fair, they didn't try to persuade me to stick with the varifocals. Instead, just long vision lenses, my old reading glasses and a big refund to spend on my son's birthday. It also turned out that my prescription hadn't changed so much that I needed new glasses anyway.

We bought my son a turntable so that he can play all of my old LPs (and a few he's bought). I asked about a pair of stereo speakers, but apparently they don't come in pairs any more. 'How can stereo come from a single speaker?' I asked. A snigger was the only reply.

Ralph - Glad you like our man.

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Having been based in London, doing the rounds of all the flesh pots etc in the mid to late 60's, and then going back again about a year ago, sorry but you can keep it.
Peter,
Good to see your son is appreciating the good things in life, turntables and LP's.
Still impressed with your work as well....
Mike.

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - No, welease Woger!

Mike - My son has amazing taste in music: my own!!!! The two hour commute each way across just five miles of south London is a horror that still lives with me. That and other things.....