More Figures for Richard

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps.

I've put the next one together:

100_4578.JPG

I hadn't planned this one. I saw the torso halves and decided to see if I could build a figure by addition. The parts are from a number of different kits and took a lot of sanding and scalpel work to get them to fit and make into a believably posed figure. I suppose he's a late war German grenadier of some sort. He'll be holding the StG 44 in his right hand and a grenade in his left.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I figured you would nothing stays on your bench long

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Lovely figure well finished and great modulation on the field grey, excellent blending, washes and dry brushing?

It is a timely reminder I need to have lighter & brighter highlights on my Kradmantel!

Your new figure seems to be another seriously frankensteinian creation, all the better for it too.

I guess my 90 minute journey to work in Leeds is quite mild in comparison with those who have to travel across London

Not something I envy at all, even if the salaries reflect the stressful journey.

Looks like it could be a bright clear and crisp day for a Bank Holiday, though we are reminded it was 29 C this time last year and the start of the long hot summer of 2018.

It should be a much quieter journey to work, and hopefully a quiet day too, as everyone will think we are closed, hopefully!

Have a great Bank Holiday and enjoy the paint

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Steve - Sorry to hear you're working, but hopefully, as you say, everyone will think you're closed. 90 minutes is still a fair old slog, poor you. My London salary did NOT reflect the stress levels; far from it. It just about paid for the travel and child care, and that was it. Bloomin' cold here as well - what a country.

I didn't use any washes or dry-brushing on this figure. It was all done wet-on-wet. I find washes just look messy at this scale and that dry-brushing adds too much texture. It's far better to do it the hard way.

I'm pleased with the way the next figure has come together. It's all Dragon and Tamiya parts, but hopefully the pose is fairly unique. I went through the rest of Richard's box last night to make sure that I'd got all the parts I needed for the rest and in fact came up with three more, not four. The others will be a fallschirmjager, tank commander and a signaller. I also found Dragon's Screaming Eagle on line, and as I'm watching Band of Brothers I ordered it to off-set the Nazi element.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I get that way on some builds I hate to see them completed. Looking great so far.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
He certainly has a different look than the stock figure in the kit.Think he will look a great Panzer grenadier.Really great face and the helmets a great addition.
Great stuff my friend.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Many thanks.

Ralph - Thanks also. I may have used some of your parts in this one, but unfortunately they're all mixed up now and I can't quite remember which is which. Stealing myself to tackle the 54mm figures you sent me - I will get to them once the eye situation has settled.

Richard - Really pleased how this one has come together. It's great being able to make a 'unique' figure.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Wonderful head and a great start to another figure.

What a cold miserable Bank Holiday, coldest on record!

Perhaps just a "normal dull cool damp summer, if we are lucky?

54mm figures at some time in the future!

As you say, when your new specs have settled.

Hopefully, another good day with the paints.

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Peter.
I see the thread has once again changed , this time to tales of travelling to that fine city crap place called London.
Here when I was a work a 20 minute run to the workshop through country roads where most mornings once out side Stamford I would see perhaps a couple of oncoming cars ! Heaven was smelling honeysuckle as I drove, not the stink of heavy traffic .Only down side was if there was snow !
Glad to read the glasses are sorted, I've tried varifocals in the past, with varying success, now of course would be a complete waste.
Oh the figure. !! well as expected great painting, personally I think the field grey is ok, bit more exciting than Russian uniform , though any mix of a brown seems to work !
John .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. That’s your Comander and chief talking can you tell

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry for the delay in replying chaps.

Steve - Nice and sunny here over the weekend, but freezing! The 54mms are going to have to wait until I feel good and ready to tackle them - my eyes are just not up to it at the moment.

John - Well, London had the best of me - chewed me up and spat me out, I can't bear the thought of going anywhere near now. I prefer painting with Russian Uniform as it happens - a good, ubiquitous olive drab.

Lee - I can!

On to the business in hand, and the second chap's jacket is done:

100_4583.JPG100_4584.JPG100_4585 (2).JPG

A real slog this one. Looking at how the experts do it in the old MM Euro specials, it appears that they render field grey in much lighter tones than one would have expected. I therefore tried to keep the palette fairly light, which does lengthen the painting time.