My first non WW2 Tank-M41 Walker Bulldog

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Not something I know anything about, so I’ll look in from time to time and try to pick up some tips!
Hi Tim,
Same here mate.... only done WW2 AFVs up to now,it`s quite interesting reading up on something a little different actually:nerd:!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
I'm in mate. I know what you mean there are some things that are just a must. I don't build aircraft they have no interest for me but I keep looking at the Grumman Avenger, there is just something about it.
Nice one Scottie! Sometimes things just "grab" you don`t they..... as far as planes go,there are several i`d like to do,but the hassle i`ve had with fuselage/wing halves fitting in the distant past put me off!:worried:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy. We're down on the Lizard, out of the way. Down a dead end lane in an old bungalow. Living the dream...

I say "out of the way" but we very nearly had that BAE Hawk down the chimney the other day. Crashed about 2 miles away. Saw them come over, heard the crump as it hit the deck. Life in the sticks....
Good luck with the build !
Ah,the Lizard,go down that way often for work.... Drift,St.Just,Leah etc.... Tis nice....as long as the weather is!!;)
Lucky escape with that Hawk i`d say!!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Room for an old one on the front row Andy ?

Like you I'm normally into WW2 but this looks an interesting model.

Carry on please.:smiling3:
Carrying on now Mr.Race:blow-kiss:!!
It is an interesting beast,rather sexy looking......... for a Tank!!:flushed:

• Love
Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I built this one 25+ years ago, when it was the only kit of the vehicle. As I recall, typical Tamiya in that it builds up easily enough, but also typically Old Tamiya in that it’s missing a lot of detail, like, oh, sponson floors :smiling3: Agreed that it has that something that makes it an attractive-looking vehicle, unlike its bigger brother, the M47.
Hi Jakko,
You`re dead right,it does build up in typical Tamiya fashion,(Up til now anyway!),and is a very enjoyable kit.Yep,as you`d expect,it is lacking in details which is evident from what i have read up,however,i`m just building this for the overall look OOTB,i`ll probably even try and use the supplied figures on a tiny base,which will be a first for me as i usually instantly scrap Tamiya figures and replace with either resin or Dragon ones:thumb2: .

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
They served notably in VN as surplus. I've also always thought they were "right". Love the turret shape and thought the travel lock unique.
Ah Paul,i was hoping you`d pop in,your knowledge of all things American will be MOST appreciated mate:thumb2:,
They look "Right" to me too..... the complete look is just........Spot On!!:cool:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Great little kit, did one myself not too long ago.
It does build into one impressive looking little tank.

Jim.
Hey Jim,
Nice to see you also,feel free to add any thoughts or learnings from your build. I`m a complete novice when it comes to post WW2 stuff!:dizzy:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This was my first 1/35 tank and it’s always been my favorite just look at my avatar. I’ll be watching
Lee,I hope all`s well with you and yours mate,
I`ve had a very close look at your avatar pic,and i must say,you certainly made a very nice job of it:thumb2:!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Couldn't believe they were still trying to sell it to third world countries back in the early eighties. I saw one up close in the first pre LIMA show in KL dressed in desert yellow with some upgrades. My first experience of rubber fenders on the front and back.
Built one eons ago and nearly put it in a dio as a German panzer thanks to hollywood movies. :smiling6:
Lovely shaped tank and still is. Got my bean bag ready and see how this shapes up.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
I guess the fact that they were around for so long shows that apart from just looking so damned sexy..... they also had the cahoonas to go with it!!:tears-of-joy:
I`ve visited The Tank museum at Bovington a few times,but,due to my previous single mindedness regarding WW2 stuff,i didn`t even notice if there was one there !
Plump up that beanbag mate:thumb2:!

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Andy,
If you have an itch, it has to be scratched, looking forward to what you do with this old 'un.
Mike
It certainly does Mike.... as RATT once said..... "Scratch that itch"!!
i love that avatar by the way :cool:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I should`ve written this first i guess!!
Well,the week was very hectic but i have managed to make some good progress assembly wise,i`ll put up a proper progress report post later this evening.
I`d like to say just how surprised i am at the amount of interest in this,and thanks to ALL of you for taking the time to comment:thumb2:,
Cheers for now,
Andy

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee,I hope all`s well with you and yours mate,
I`ve had a very close look at your avatar pic,and i must say,you certainly made a very nice job of it:thumb2:!
Thanks we’re doing good my wife has no side affects but I’m still fighting them. That tank has a special place in my heart. Thanks for the complement

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then guys..... an update of sorts!
Firstly i`d like to say what a very pleasurable kit this is to build,as i know that many of you will agree,having built it in your modelling past;),
The date stamp on the sprue puts it at 1973,(I was 8 at the time!!:dizzy:),however,in my humble opinion,it`s a cracking little kit for the money,and,if you approach it like i am,it sure looks like what you want:thumb2:,I was initially concerned about the 2 part barrel,but having spent just a little time sanding the seams down,it`s acceptable:thumb2:.
The kit itself is very sparse in parts,and therefore,only a few build stages in the destructions.... what a refreshing change:hungry:!!
Anyhoo,ere`s some early pics.......
bulldog 20.jpg
The turret with some dodgy glue blobs,(or i prefer to blame a dodgy welder!!)..... easily sorted:thumb2:...... next up,the running gear......
bulldog 21.jpg
Typical Tamiya...... crisp,perfect fit and very enjoyable :thumb2:
Last pic for now,the upper deck stuff.....
bulldog 22.jpg
So,as you can see,it`s all good with this beastie at the mo........ most bits fitted,just awaiting primer in a short while!
Thanks for looking in guys,and a "Happy Easter" to you all!....................(not that i`m REMOTELY religious!!),
Andy

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy. Might be sacrilegious, but it looks a bit like a Chaffee on steroids!
Tim!! Not sacrilegious at all Sir,(I don`t think?!!:thinking::tears-of-joy:).
Funny you should mention the Chaffee,(and this dark secret is just between you and I ;)),but that`s also a Tank that caught my eye when i dropped my WW2 guard......... hence i bought the Tamiya Chaffee AND Patton at the same time!!:surprised:
There`s definitely something going on with my focussing gyro!!