Ozdell's 1/87 scale Ro, Ro ship Coroan Sea build

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Very happy to say the ship's bridge is well on track, on a high, yesterday I made a jig to get the angles right on the front window panels and cut out and glued in place the port end window panel indeed is taking shape of a bridge.

Today I will cut out the starboard end window panel in place and start marking out the windows on the starboard front window panel, before I glue the front panel in place need to finish the window sill on the inside starboard side, at the end of both sides interior there is a raised platform up one step.

The front bridge window panels be a challenge as they are bigger windows , have smaller window sills.

The first pic before the port end window panel was glued in place, I can finish off the starboard side with gluing the front window panel in place .

20210216_075651.jpg20210216_214022.jpg20210217_082549.jpg

Middle and last of the bridge.

Tony from down under on a high

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good to see this great progress Tony, you must be pleased how well it's turned out .

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony it looks more intricate than my tiger bridge very well done as from what i see its the back of the bridge is'nt it ? keep up he good work :thumb2:
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Angles, angles, angles, would drive me daft. er
YEA PaulE thats how these bridges are as it was very difficult to build my tiger bridge as you say angles everywhere an Tonys bridge is even worst for angles as its got a lot more

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Good to see this great progress Tony, you must be pleased how well it's turned out .
HI john, yeah pretty happy even the ships captain is impressed he said like the real thing, have marked the port side front window panel will take a while to cut the 8 windows out , can't be glued in place till the interior furniture is in place, waiting for the captain to re-join Jutlandia Sea. How are you going Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Angles, angles, angles, would drive me daft. er
Hi PaulE wait till I start on the middle front windows yet more angles to drive ya daft , once the two front main window panels are in place will mark and cut out the comp deck , be able to start work on the main mast. Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony it looks more intricate than my tiger bridge very well done as from what i see its the back of the bridge is'nt it ? keep up he good work :thumb2:
chris
Hi Chris, yeah is the back of the bridge that is finely finished, now the fun begins more angles, once the two larger front window panels are in place I will mark and cut the the comp deck mainly to help in getting the angles right on the middle panels enough angles to drive ya nuts , the ships captain is very impressed indeed.
Replying to your second reply , I think your Tigers bridge would of being harder to build because you had two bridges , I have walk ways in front of the front bridge windows, figuring out how to tackle itDSC9074  a.jpgDSC9079  a.jpg

Tony

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Gotta be able to change those windscreen wiper blades. PaulE

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Gotta be able to change those windscreen wiper blades. PaulE
Hi PaulE, probably what the walkway is meant for as there is a few, there are 7 windows in the where the main console is looks like the only ones with wiper blades, on other access other than walk around the bridge, Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
OOOOOOOOO.....those angled railings look fun too! :thumb2: Rick H.
Hi Rick, any idea how to tackle the walk way, I may have to scratch build it another project a head , take care and keep warm Tony, we are having a stinker of a Sunday 39 degrees could get hotter.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Tony 26 F. here and sunny after two days of nonstop snow....12" at least. If I were to do the railings, I would do them in sections but first I would make a template for each section using careful measurements of course. Each template would have marks on it to precisely locate each vertical and same for horizontals as well. The end verticals of each section must be independently located on the walk way at the proper angle first. Also, if you make the sections just a tad long then they can be trimmed to precisely fit between the end verticals in each section. If the railing is not going to be subjected to any handling or stress I would build it out of Evergreen plastic rod as it comes in lengths of 14 " Hope this is helpful....just my thoughts. Rick H.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Hi Tony 26 F. here and sunny after two days of nonstop snow....12" at least. If I were to do the railings, I would do them in sections but first I would make a template for each section using careful measurements of course. Each template would have marks on it to precisely locate each vertical and same for horizontals as well. The end verticals of each section must be independently located on the walk way at the proper angle first. Also, if you make the sections just a tad long then they can be trimmed to precisely fit between the end verticals in each section. If the railing is not going to be subjected to any handling or stress I would build it out of Evergreen plastic rod as it comes in lengths of 14 " Hope this is helpful....just my thoughts. Rick H.
Hi Rick, it is 10pm your time and 8am here in down under SE/QLD overcast and raining no chance to get stuck into my layout construction , many thanks for the advice I will do what you suggested, making a jig and using evergreen plastic rod got plenty of, I have no plan to go by have to guess the right angle, will check up with the captain. going to be a stinker of a weekend that be all I able to do is work on my indoor hobbies , a question would I be able to water proof cardboard sheets using the the same reason used on large model flying planes and fine fiberglass . I am thinking of building the draft separately under the water line, my model is a water line model, . Take care and keep warm good to see the sun again .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You already have the angle.........it is the same as the face of your bridge.....you have some great photos to work from. If you look at the angle of the railing and the angle of the windows on the starboard end, they are parallel. Also, looking at the first photo in this post, I can project that the height of the railing coincides with the bottom of the windows or maybe just a little higher....not enough to impair the view as that would not work well for the crew that are navigating this vessel. Reminder: The railing is only angled at the Pilot house and at the port and starboard ends of the walk way, the rest of the railing is vertical to my eyes. Please correct me if I am in error. Rick H.

ps. actually, it is 4:45 pm

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
You already have the angle.........it is the same as the face of your bridge.....you have some great photos to work from. If you look at the angle of the railing and the angle of the windows on the starboard end, they are parallel. Also, looking at the first photo in this post, I can project that the height of the railing coincides with the bottom of the windows or maybe just a little higher....not enough to impair the view as that would not work well for the crew that are navigating this vessel. Reminder: The railing is only angled at the Pilot house and at the port and starboard ends of the walk way, the rest of the railing is vertical to my eyes. Please correct me if I am in error. Rick H.

ps. actually, it is 4:45 pm
Evening Rick H , many thanks for that awesome advice on the the walkway handrails and angle, yes I will making a gig as the is only 10mm wide , will be wasting a bit of card to make the stanchions, be cutting them in one piece, probably .5 mm plastic card . The first two pics of how the bridge be sitting on top of the accommodation block just out by a couple of mm, not going to worry about that ,too much work to fix it, but I cut out the last window panel port side, can' stand to see the clear windows with glue marks on them

20210220_084638.jpg20210220_084653.jpgIMG_1074.JPG

The last pic of Corona Sea, good pic of the rear window panel and the accommodation deck bridge deck, is a walkway and hand rails, going to fix that window panel , Take care Tony from down under.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony yea Ricks advise is good but looking at an studying your bridge layout picture by rights the side's front walkways are on the top of the main S/S all you have to do is place your bridge in the corret postion on the main S/S an by rights the main S/S will be the walkway on the sides an the add a walkway width around the front small bridge useing gussets to support it easy peasy as lookin at the pic thats how it looks to me any way can you please Tony show a pic from top veiw looking down on the top of the bridge so i can see if thats how it should be an how you have built it ? PS Tony look at the next page for a diogram
chris

Last edited: