P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

G

Gaz

Thought I'd just say that you've built a cracking beast there, the cowl paintjob is brilliant.

looking forward to seeing the next exciting installment!

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Thought I'd just say that you've built a cracking beast there, the cowl paintjob is brilliant. looking forward to seeing the next exciting installment!
Thanks Gaz for your valuable feed back. I was beginning to think that this size of scale didnt interest the folks on site that much as i have not had much feed back since starting the project. Glad you like it so far. I have yet to wire wool the cowl... wanted to give it a few days to cure first. I will be applying the first weathering wash the weekend so i should have some pics for you then.

Thanks again.

Andy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Beautiful Sky Raider, just beautiful. It's nice to see a Razorback and not the Bubble top for a change. I look forward in seeing her finished.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

Don't worry about the lack of feedback, (although I will agree it is nice to see the feedback) So far this thread has had 3722 views and 103 replies so that is not bad going. At least you have not had to answer too many questions as everything has been plainly clear from your excellent photos. They speak more than any words can ever do.

I am still impressed as ever with the work you have done so far, looking even more awesome now with the paint job and markings going on. Those DVD's you bought were obviously an excellent investment as can be seen in your work here. I might just have to get me a set myself.

As for your new project the J3 Piper Cub, I look forwards to seeing this one too. An excellent choice for learning to fly with - I had the L4H version as my first R/C Plane. You will enjoy flying this one a lot too.

Regards.....Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Beautiful Sky Raider, just beautiful. It's nice to see a Razorback and not the Bubble top for a change. I look forward in seeing her finished.
Thanks mate, i really appreciate the input. I also think that the razor back is the better looking of the two. I did have the option to build either in the kit. I am very pleased with my first build attempt and cant wait to see her fly.

Thanks again

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,Don't worry about the lack of feedback, (although I will agree it is nice to see the feedback) So far this thread has had 3722 views and 103 replies so that is not bad going. At least you have not had to answer too many questions as everything has been plainly clear from your excellent photos. They speak more than any words can ever do.

I am still impressed as ever with the work you have done so far, looking even more awesome now with the paint job and markings going on. Those DVD's you bought were obviously an excellent investment as can be seen in your work here. I might just have to get me a set myself.

As for your new project the J3 Piper Cub, I look forwards to seeing this one too. An excellent choice for learning to fly with - I had the L4H version as my first R/C Plane. You will enjoy flying this one a lot too.

Regards.....Mark.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words and comments, i was shocked to see how many have veiwed this thread. It wont be long now before the Jug hits the skys, i cant wait to see her in action.

Thanks again Mark

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Hi gang,

This is the final part of the build as far as paint goes. The weathering wash. This is the first of 2 washes, burnt umber wash is sprayed lightly over the plane and then removed with a paper towel and thinners. The next wash will take place once this on has fully cured. The final wash will be an ash grey, applied and removed in exactly the same way as this one was. The ash helps to show up on the darker colours. Once thse washes have been completed we will move on to the electrics and the engine.

Andy

View attachment 18793

View attachment 18794

View attachment 18795

View attachment 18796

View attachment 18797

View attachment 18798

View attachment 18799

View attachment 18800

View attachment 18801

View attachment 18802

View attachment 18803

Tail Light.jpg

Fuse wash.jpg

Fuse wash 3.jpg

Fuse wash 4.jpg

Fuae wash 5.jpg

Wing wash 1.jpg

Wing wash 2.jpg

Wing wash 3.jpg

Wing wash 4.jpg

Wing wash 5.jpg

Fuse wash 1.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Hi Gang.

With the Cub complete its time now to get back to the Jug. She has had her second and final wash now and is ready for the few scale details before i start on the lathe to machine a part for the mold. This will complete the dummy rotary engine. I have to make 6 cylinders. I will show this process as i progress.

Andy

View attachment 18929

View attachment 18930

View attachment 18931

View attachment 18932

View attachment 18933

View attachment 18934

Ash wash.jpg

Ash wash 22.jpg

Ash wash 3.jpg

Ash wash 4.jpg

Ash wash 5.jpg

Scale overveiw.jpg

S

Sky Raider

This next installment shows a little of the scale detail that had to be made as they didnt come with the kit.

The guns were made out of evergreen styrene tubes and a bit of body filler to close the ends. The aerial was made out of the same but a smaller diameter obviously to produce the ceramic insulators and terminal points, the cord was purchased from Hobby craft, it is what they use for bead craft i beleive, does the trick i think. Metal paint is used for the exhausts, vents and the guns. They look a little clean at the moment but a coat of matt fuel proof will put that right.

Andy

View attachment 18935

View attachment 18936

View attachment 18937

View attachment 18938

View attachment 18939

Aerial.jpg

Guns.jpg

Guns 2.jpg

Guns 3.jpg

Exhaust.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst I'm a plastic basher I love aircraft of this era.I thought a 1/32 P-47 was a big beast. I've found time to read your build thread and simply have to comment. What a terrific job you're making of this jug!!!

I wouldn't know where to start on a project as ambitious as this and now I find myself impatient to see you finish it (in the nicest possible way). Congratulations on a fantastic build and a great build thread.

Really good photos too.

Great stuff.

Steve

G

Gladiator111

Truly unbelievable! I have just spent 2 hours reading through all the posts and I am amazed at the dedication, the love (and hate), effort and hours (!) you have put into making this beautiful Jug... stunning mate. Keep the posts coming, would love to see this in flight when all is finished. Can you post movies here...? Congratulations Andy.

Chris

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Truly unbelievable! I have just spent 2 hours reading through all the posts and I am amazed at the dedication, the love (and hate), effort and hours (!) you have put into making this beautiful Jug... stunning mate. Keep the posts coming, would love to see this in flight when all is finished. Can you post movies here...? Congratulations Andy.Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. I am impressed myself as you know now this is my first build ever. I beleive that you cant do videos on here but when the time comes i will email you one.

Thanks again.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Whilst I'm a plastic basher I love aircraft of this era.I thought a 1/32 P-47 was a big beast. I've found time to read your build thread and simply have to comment. What a terrific job you're making of this jug!!!I wouldn't know where to start on a project as ambitious as this and now I find myself impatient to see you finish it (in the nicest possible way). Congratulations on a fantastic build and a great build thread.

Really good photos too.

Great stuff.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Its not that hard to build one like this, as you know this is my first ever and im not a modeler like yourself... at least you would have more idea than i did when i started it. I honestly didnt even know what a leading edge was. It has learnt me a lot and i will miss building when i have finished this one. Might sell my Raptor 50, (never used), and buy another WW11 kit.

Thanks again mate.

Andy

G

Gladiator111

Hi Andy

I can't believe that this is your first build mate; you've done a brill job. Thanks for the offer to send a movie in flight. An idea could be to post it on youtube and show a link here for all to see. That would be an amazing day - it's maiden flight.

Oh, to have a dedicated model workshop at your disposal like yours with tools dripping off every wall and surface..... (wiping drool off chin). Heh, I've also set up in my garage but with the freezer, storage, 5 bikes and a car roof box, theres room only for a 1.2m argos worktop for me.... luckily I'm only working on 1:48th scale plassies.

Chris

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanks Steve,Its not that hard to build one like this, as you know this is my first ever and im not a modeler like yourself... at least you would have more idea than i did when i started it. I honestly didnt even know what a leading edge was. It has learnt me a lot and i will miss building when i have finished this one. Might sell my Raptor 50, (never used), and buy another WW11 kit.

Thanks again mate.

Andy
Frankly that makes your achievement even more remarkable. Believe me, you wouldn't want to see my early efforts, well,not unless you wanted a good laugh!!

I have found that modelling (mainly) WW2 subjects has opened up a whole world of history for me and not just the airplanes.The P-47 was a remarkable machine and you have definitely done it justice with your build.

cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
p47 thunderbolt

:emo1:Hi andy, just finished looking at your build so far.....its absolutely mind boggling,truly excellent.The attention to detail is amazing ,and the amount of work you have put in is immense!I'm in awe of this beautiful big jug, (then again we all like big jugs!!) I take off my hat to you(even though i dont wear one)well done and cant wait to see the next pics. I'm sure theres lots us mere non fliers,(dodos maybe?)can find useful for our models or even just get inspired to get modelling .Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work ,youre nearly there!! cheers ,tony

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi AndyI can't believe that this is your first build mate; you've done a brill job. Thanks for the offer to send a movie in flight. An idea could be to post it on youtube and show a link here for all to see. That would be an amazing day - it's maiden flight.

Oh, to have a dedicated model workshop at your disposal like yours with tools dripping off every wall and surface..... (wiping drool off chin). Heh, I've also set up in my garage but with the freezer, storage, 5 bikes and a car roof box, theres room only for a 1.2m argos worktop for me.... luckily I'm only working on 1:48th scale plassies.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your valued comments. Yes im lucky to have the workshop... all those tool you see and everything to do with the hobby, i brought this year to build this project. I have spent more on tools than i have on the Jug. The lathe alone was a fortune. I couldnt list what i have tool wise or part wise and i must have at least 2 of everything if not more. I just love to have the stuff, probably will never use most of it. Its just good to know that it is there if i need it.

Space wise... take a look up your loft. Before i started the Jug i was converting the loft for storage, could get 2 single beds up there. The idea though is to clear the spare room and move everything up there. A bit of chipboard flooring, some plasterboard, paint a light and a heater for the winter and you have got yourself another room. and if your lucky the misses will never go up there, scared of spiders ha ha.

Thanks again mate

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
:emo1:Hi andy, just finished looking at your build so far.....its absolutely mind boggling,truly excellent.The attention to detail is amazing ,and the amount of work you have put in is immense!I'm in awe of this beautiful big jug, (then again we all like big jugs!!) I take off my hat to you(even though i dont wear one)well done and cant wait to see the next pics. I'm sure theres lots us mere non fliers,(dodos maybe?)can find useful for our models or even just get inspired to get modelling .Keep the pics coming and keep up the good work ,youre nearly there!! cheers ,tony
Hi Tony, thanks for your kind words, much appreciated, they inspire me to build another project. If i can sell the Heli im might buy a jet next, that would be a good thread. When im finnished im going to take some pics of the scale pilots that i have. The detail in these guys is mind blowing, they have watches, penknifes, flare guns and flares to go in them. every thing you can think of that a pilot needs even maps that are ledgable under a magnifying glass.

I have a 1:48th scale model of the jug still in the box. I can do a great job of this big size according to you guys, but ill admit, if i try to do the job that you guys do on the small stuff, i will screw it up completely. Could do with one of you experts build it.

Thanks again

Andy

G

Gomer Pyle

\ said:
Me agin,Now the saga of the Topflite drop tank. As you recall earlier in the build i had to scrap the topfilte cockpit and make modifications to the wing bomb release machanisms due to the poof quality of the product. Well guess what... another £16.00 wasted on the Topflite drop tank. Not only did it look poor but once cut out it didnt fit together at all and looked rubbish. So i decided to laminate 3 oblong peices of balsa together to get the thickness and calve into shape, then it was fibre glassed for strength, the tank clamp supports were made and added. Then i used an all purpose model glue to simulate the tank welds, painted and added the filler cap. I think you would agree, it is a far better job than anything Topflite can come up with.

Dont get me wrong, they produce some fantastic planes and kits but the after market add-ons are rubbish, i guess they farm them out for production and then stick their name on them.

Andy

Andy you scare me, but also thrill me in this strange and peculiar way ;) What an awesome job you’ve done, I feel small and insignificant but also proud on your behalf. Kudos to you.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Andy you scare me, but also thrill me in this strange and peculiar way ;) What an awesome job you’ve done, I feel small and insignificant but also proud on your behalf. Kudos to you.
Hi mate,

Thank you for your kind words. Comments and praises are coming in thick and fast now. I honestly do not deserve such credit. I have no one to compare my work against at this scale level and therefore consider it as a good first attempt. Some of the guys on here have done some mind blowing stuff and im sure that i inspire them as much as they inspire me. There are areas of the Jug that i think i could have made a better job but i will improve as i progress through time. I would idealy love to build these things and sell them on, the only problem is the time factor, i dont think that people would wait so long for a project to be completed.

Thanks again

Andy