Pete's 1/32 Revell Mosquito

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to see that your still trying to whip this into shape!

ATB.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well at least the props shouldn't need any filler.....hopefully!
They did Mark! Just a few sink marks.
Looks like the match up fairly well at the trailing edge, so just a tad bit of filling there....hopefully.
That's the angle the photos are taken Rick, the trailing edges are totally different shapes on the wing and the nacelle! In places one overlaps the other by a couple of millimetres.
Pete

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Nice one, must be a good feeling getting some paint on after all that filler and sanding.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some readers might have noticed the mistake shown in the photo above - I just grabbed a pot of Sky... then later realised that Mosquitos' undersides were painted Medium Sea Grey, so:
IMG_20220905_195938391.jpg
I'm still undecided about whether to apply invasion stripes or not.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Some readers might have noticed the mistake shown in the photo above - I just grabbed a pot of Sky... then later realised that Mosquitos' undersides were painted Medium Sea Grey, so:
View attachment 462422
I'm still undecided about whether to apply invasion stripes or not.
Pete
Nice smooth paint film there. All that filling and sanding paid off. Go with the stripes….you know you want to.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
After a long masking session, we have the last colour paint!
IMG_20220917_152831450.jpg
The unpainted parts are where the invasion stripes will be. Useful for turning the model round too.
The first coat went down just fine, but then the second coat seemed to separate in the airbrush:
IMG_20220917_152837743.jpg
Couldn't have been mixed as well as I thought! I'll leave that to harden so I can sand it a bit before trying another coat.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That's a shame Pete!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Pete considering the terrible fit and the amount of filling and sanding needed the paint work looks very good. Well done. I do think invasion stripes look good so glad you went with them.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I'm with Jim here, Pete. This puppy has fought back the whole way through, but you won the battle in the end. Sorry to hear about the paint woes. Maybe it's payback because you didn't clean the junk out of the spray booth. Just wondering..............

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
you won the battle in the end.
Not quite yet! Still have the stripes to paint, u/c bay doors to add, a few touch-ups and then the decals...

I think the paint is past its sell-by date. I thinned the contents of the bottle today, gave it a good mix on my new vortex mixer, and it sprayed well, but when I cleaned the airbrush it was clogged almost solid with paint skin. I'll see how it looks tomorrow and maybe get on with some of the remaining tasks after the funeral.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Getting on with re-masking for the stripes:
P1170327.JPG
The paint problems continue - a big patch of paint peeled off the underside. It seems the AK paint doesn't stick to Stynylrez. I've sanded it so there isn't a step, but this doesn't bode well for the removal of the rest of the masking.
P1170328.JPG

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s a bit of a bugger Pete. Hope you have more luck going foward. Doesn’t look like I’ll be trying AK paints any time soon…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
To be fair to them Tim, this is their older generation paint. I've heard good things about their 3rd generation paints, but I think I'll stick to Mr Hobby in future.
Pete