Pete's Sea King Mk41. Revell 1/72

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Pete your seaking lookin good hope you dont mind me donloading your pics as you build as that last shot will help me no end on how i will have to fit my eletric motor in as from what i can see in the destruckions it shows that the rotars are slighty tillted forward an looking at your pic i can now see how much i got to grind out to accept the motorgearbox to fit in the fusealage great built will be most helpfull to me
cheers chris b

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Rick, I think it must be the base for the rotor that's stopping the two halves from mating nicely. There's a sort of 'bobbin' to accept the spindle that the rotor will go on, that fits into a hole made of a semicircle in each half, so the rotor should be able to rotate. I made sure it would fit before I glued the fuselage, but I think that bobbin must be oval, as it won't turn now. :disappointed2:
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
HI Pete your seaking lookin good hope you dont mind me donloading your pics as you build as that last shot will help me no end on how i will have to fit my eletric motor in as from what i can see in the destruckions it shows that the rotars are slighty tillted forward an looking at your pic i can now see how much i got to grind out to accept the motorgearbox to fit in the fusealage great built will be most helpfull to me
cheers chris b
Chris, the instructions do show quite a pronounced downward tilt to the rotor. The rotor is 125 mm long in the drawing, and the front is 8 mm lower than the rear. Hope that makes sense.
Pete

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES it does Pete helps no end as thankfully my seaking kit has got a seprate bottom so i can tape the two fusalarge harlfs together then i can go up inside the fualage to measure between the two harlfs for a false bottom to cut out the motor hole mounting to allow for the motor to be tillted slighty forwards but to get this right its gonna be really tricky but i will be doin this tomorrow but i will leave the roatars out till the motor is fitted in
cheers Chris b

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Got it Pete.......too bad about the rotor, you have just given me one more place I need to check.........just in case:thinking: Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Playing ketchup here Peter and it looks like you have had a few "struggles" with this whoop-whoop so far. Top work in bringing them back in order! I really like the blue tank tops the best though Sir.............

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have been following along from the cheap seats as well.
Looks like you are eliminating the problems as they turn up.
Helicopter canopies are the worse! normally complex curves and often need masking both sides due to some detail or the other.

Glad to learn that I am not the only one that has had windows pop off into the body. Mine was the little "quarter lights" by the crews feet. One of them popped off as I was joining the hull halves. Luck for me I went for a dry fit so no real issue. A pain none the less.
As Rick pointed out with the ejector marks, It does not take much to screw things up. I found a sprue gate on the floor was my falling point.
A good tip by the way, sand a slight chamfer on floors/walls that have to fit in a channel in the wall. Sometimes the bottom of the channel to round in the corners and the part cant get all the way to the bottom!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As someone else who watches many builds from the cheap seats, I'd also like to say.....
Cracking work there Peter, looks like you're overcoming the challenges!!
I concur completely with the issues that you've come across,keep up the good fight mind :smiling3:
Lovely looking cockpit that is for sure;)
Andy

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I really like the blue tank tops the best though Sir.............

Prost
Allen
The seats? They're a bit too blue aren't they! I'd intended to give the interior a dust wash before I closed up, but I forgot!
Helicopter canopies are the worse! normally complex curves and often need masking both sides due to some detail or the other.
I've just removed the second interior masking, put on to stop any overspray when painting the frames, and I've realised there are some parts for the engine intakes that fit on top of the canopy, so I'll have to unmask the top windows, fit those intake parts and remask. That'll be the 4th lot of masking on the canopy.
Lovely looking cockpit that is for sure;)
Andy
Thanks Andy, I'm not sure how much will be visible but "I'll know it's there".
Peter,
Your licking this in to shape nicely mate.
Thanks Paul.
Pete

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I've started the fill-a-thon.

Thankfully the Airfix version doesn’t have a seam running down the middle of the dog kennel, the curved cowling behind the rotor head but mine still needed a little filler at the edges.
Note that there should be a panel line along the centreline of the engine cowlings where you have filled. The cowlings open to provide access to the engines and act as a work platform.
I have one of these kits in the stash - it might stay there a bit longer.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks again Rick. Does the deflector in front of the air intakes actually sit on the canopy?
Pete

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks again Rick. Does the deflector in front of the air intakes actually sit on the canopy?
Pete

In reference photos I’ve seen it maybe overhangs. The FOD deflector was long gone by the time I worked on Sea Kings.
I searched for sea king engines in Google and got some great reference photos.