S model 1/72 3.7 cm PaK 36 Auf Renault UE build (Simon T tribute group build)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Tim
That is looking excellent. Don't know if it would work at this scale but thinly rolled Milliput or similar can look nice.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim, I think you are on the right track......I have used white wrapping tissue in the past, it is much smoother than facial or T.P. tissue and if you to use diluted white glue with it it will be very smooth when dry. Hope this helps. Rick H.
Hi Rick. Thanks for the idea. If it works in your scale it should work in this one.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic work tim now for the good bit bring on the paint
Hi David. Paint will be along shortly, just have to sort out this tarpaulin issue first......glad you like it by the way....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim
That is looking excellent. Don't know if it would work at this scale but thinly rolled Milliput or similar can look nice.
Jim
Hi Jim. I think milliput would be a little thick at this scale. I do have some green stuff I haven’t yet tried, so might see how that goes. Thanks for the idea.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yep Jakko, it’s an MG 34...same one they had at the back of a Stuka......
That was an MG 15 :smiling3: Very easy to confuse, though, if you can only really see the barrels and drum magazine.

By the way, it’s not crowded, just really small LOL...I bet it didn’t corner well at speed...
I suspect that won’t have been a great problem at its top speed of all of 30 km/h :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all.
Not done much recently, but ready for primer today. Here are the various sub assemblies mounted for spraying....
58D71EB4-B605-4B65-B653-E8EC285D915F.jpeg
For those that are interested, the coloured items are golf tees. This enables me to paint all around the figures without handling them. All items are attached using blue tac. The track units are obviously on lolly sticks (sold as garden markers for 50p in the local pound shop). Again this allows handling without touching..
I will be using Alclad grey primer on this, diluted to taste with MLT.
Cheers
Tim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all.
Not done much recently, but ready for primer today. Here are the various sub assemblies mounted for spraying....
View attachment 406910
For those that are interested, the coloured items are golf tees. This enables me to paint all around the figures without handling them. All items are attached using blue tac. The track units are obviously on lolly sticks (sold as garden markers for 50p in the local pound shop). Again this allows handling without touching..
I will be using Alclad grey primer on this, diluted to taste with MLT.
Cheers
Tim
Golf tees! Like it!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just shows Tim how small this is. !
Certainly does John. When I paint smaller figures I just mount them five at a time on the lolly sticks.....these are as small as I go for individual mounting.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Tim, Looking forward to the fig. painting, so lots of info if you please, as you go through the various steps........Came across this photo on the i-net (for ref. only).....made me think of your efforts here.....I guess the "Jerries" were keen on putting these anti-tank guns on anything that moved. Gave me a chuckle anyway. Cheers, Rick H.P1011624.JPG

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tim, Looking forward to the fig. painting, so lots of info if you please, as you go through the various steps........Came across this photo on the i-net (for ref. only).....made me think of your efforts here.....I guess the "Jerries" were keen on putting these anti-tank guns on anything that moved. Gave me a chuckle anyway. Cheers, Rick H.View attachment 406943

That looks a tad exposed up there but at least it would allow you to get a hull down position in the right circumstances!

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tim, Looking forward to the fig. painting, so lots of info if you please, as you go through the various steps........Came across this photo on the i-net (for ref. only).....made me think of your efforts here.....I guess the "Jerries" were keen on putting these anti-tank guns on anything that moved. Gave me a chuckle anyway. Cheers, Rick H.View attachment 406943

Just occurred to me that if the recoil is a bit on strong side gun and crew could find themselves flying backwards off the roof. In short, rather them than me! ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They seem to have stuck those guns on almost anything....though I think that one would struggle to be depressed enough to hit it target. On the other hand, look at all that space for ammo.....
This makes the little Renault more useable..probably kills its power to weight ratio though....
6404771B-E97E-4ACD-B240-52575796CDAE.jpeg

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, quiet at the back there, we are going to start on the, figures....

The figures have been cleaned, assembled, and primed.
D860C2FD-6FB6-45B9-B2A5-F1A9E5B25813.jpeg

Cleaning and assembly is done exactly the same as any other plastic kit. I use a 15a scalpel blade to scrape down seam lines and blemishes and finish off with fine wet and dry (400 down to 3600 grit, used wet). Assembly used Contacta or EVA liquid cement.
I always prime figures, especially these, as they will be handled in games. Priming has several advantages to me. It binds well to the figure, making the paint job more robust. It provides a good key for the top coat, and it gives an even colour for the painter to work over. I picked grey for these because WW2 colours are muted and if the paint is slightly translucent, a slight greying out of the top coat can enhance the paint job. Sometimes, for bright coloured figures, I might use white primer. However, I very rarely use black as a primer, because I find it hard to get a decent top coat colour density over it. Some painters swear by it, but I’ve only ever sworn at it.
In this case, the primer was Alclad 2 grey primer and microfiller. No real reason for this choice except I have a bottle that has been hanging around for several years ;) I prefer cellulose (lacquer) based primers as I feel they adhere best, so also have Tamiya and Mr Color in stock.

C6E60C6B-C21A-47BA-AF74-B6FEB97AB969.jpeg

The next stage for me is a black wash to highlight detail on the figure. This is liberally applied with a number 4 round brush. The function of the wash is very similar to a pin wash on armour. It highlights detail and show the discrete
areas of the figure. In my case it also makes the figure much easier to read when I’m painting. Even at this point the figure will start to come alive.

The wash is made from a 50:50 mix of these two...
EC00BC3D-5F96-4CEA-9ECE-8EA722B1305A.jpeg
The game colour wash is designed just for this sort of use, but the black has a strong pigmentation. The glaze medium therefore “thins” the wash without taking away its useful characteristics. As I understand it, glaze medium is basically colour wash without pigment. You can dilute the wash with water, but if you do you may break down the consistency of the wash, and increase its surface tension. It will not then flow like it should, and could dry blotchy.

This part is just a quick insight into my figure painting preparation. There are as many ways to do this as there are painters, but this one is timeworn and works for me. I have been doing this, or something similar, for about thirty years.

I know some of you want to see how I do faces....well, that should be tomorrow and over the weekend....

Hope it helps, and if you have any questions, just ask away....

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK, quiet at the back there, we are going to start on the, figures....

The figures have been cleaned, assembled, and primed.
View attachment 407185

Cleaning and assembly is done exactly the same as any other plastic kit. I use a 15a scalpel blade to scrape down seam lines and blemishes and finish off with fine wet and dry (400 down to 3600 grit, used wet). Assembly used Contacta or EVA liquid cement.
I always prime figures, especially these, as they will be handled in games. Priming has several advantages to me. It binds well to the figure, making the paint job more robust. It provides a good key for the top coat, and it gives an even colour for the painter to work over. I picked grey for these because WW2 colours are muted and if the paint is slightly translucent, a slight greying out of the top coat can enhance the paint job. Sometimes, for bright coloured figures, I might use white primer. However, I very rarely use black as a primer, because I find it hard to get a decent top coat colour density over it. Some painters swear by it, but I’ve only ever sworn at it.
In this case, the primer was Alclad 2 grey primer and microfiller. No real reason for this choice except I have a bottle that has been hanging around for several years ;) I prefer cellulose (lacquer) based primers as I feel they adhere best, so also have Tamiya and Mr Color in stock.

View attachment 407186

The next stage for me is a black wash to highlight detail on the figure. This is liberally applied with a number 4 round brush. The function of the wash is very similar to a pin wash on armour. It highlights detail and show the discrete
areas of the figure. In my case it also makes the figure much easier to read when I’m painting. Even at this point the figure will start to come alive.

The wash is made from a 50:50 mix of these two...
View attachment 407198
The game colour wash is designed just for this sort of use, but the black has a strong pigmentation. The glaze medium therefore “thins” the wash without taking away its useful characteristics. As I understand it, glaze medium is basically colour wash without pigment. You can dilute the wash with water, but if you do you may break down the consistency of the wash, and increase its surface tension. It will not then flow like it should, and could dry blotchy.

This part is just a quick insight into my figure painting preparation. There are as many ways to do this as there are painters, but this one is timeworn and works for me. I have been doing this, or something similar, for about thirty years.

I know some of you want to see how I do faces....well, that should be tomorrow and over the weekend....

Hope it helps, and if you have any questions, just ask away....
Thanks Tim. Well be looking forward to watching these come together so I can improve my figures.

ATB

Andrew