"Sheridan",Vietnam Dio

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
The M113 is coming on nicely Andy. Interested to see what you make of it…..
Mark‘s command blockhouse on tracks is looking pretty good as well…….
Thanks very much Tim..... I`ve got a couple of ideas;)!
Yes,I agree,Mark`s does look very nice indeed:thumb2:,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
........ and a couple of progress pics coming up.Showing the interior,which will eventually be ALL white,(Apart from the underside of hatches).A lot of nice decals are provided which i will be adding,although as i only intend to have one hatch opened and the tailgate dropped hardly anything will be viewable:angry:........
IMG_20210807_191804.jpg
IMG_20210807_191750.jpg
front and upper plates........you can see i still have some clean up to do that i`ve missed up till now..........
IMG_20210807_192028.jpg
IMG_20210807_191932.jpg
and my favourite bit........ A GUN !!! :thumb2: :cool::money-face:..........
IMG_20210807_192007.jpg
Shallow?..... Me??.........How very dare you!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Like the look of this,its coming on nicely, getting tempted myself :smiling: :thumb2:
Cheers Mark,
It is a nice little kit,i`d been after one for quite some time,but the prices put me off,(As i`m sure you`re aware!),managed to get this one fairly recently for what i consider to be an acceptable fee :thumb2: ,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Andy
Coming on very well. Nice clean build and nice sharp detail.
Jim
Thank you Jim,:smiling:
Despite it`s age,it actually is nicely detailed,so the "clean build" is something that i can`t actually take any credit for!;)
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking cooler by the hour….
Tim!!.....
Thanks very much for that...... it`s one of those kits that will look very interesting...........
....... until it`s finished and fully buttoned up!!:anguished::flushed::tired:,
Andy

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Blimey Steve....sounds like you`ve got a fair bit on all at once there with the Wine AND the Bench that is!!;):tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:,
Good to hear that you`re still pressing on with your Dio,These Bravo 6 figures really are the Dog`s aren`t they,i`m well impressed with them!:cool:
Pop up some pics mate,be good to see:thumb2:,
Andy
Will post some pics this evening Andy - they may be the last ever unless the extras arrive!
Steve

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
...... Well,i`ve just run out of the white to complete the internal base coat:loudly-crying:,
...........so that`s on hold til i can pick some up on my way home from work tomorrow. I`ll paint the sundries and tools,then put some of the other figures for the dio together. So,until tomorrow,or possibly Tuesday,there won`t be any progress of note worthy for a fresh update:sad: ,
As always though,i appreciate your participation and comments:thumb2: ,
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Will post some pics this evening Andy - they may be the last ever unless the extras arrive!
Steve
Nice one Steve :thumb2: ,
I`m sure you`ll get your extras in time mate....... "NEVER SURRENDER":cool:
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the destructions even suggest a mod you can make with some plasticard and bits of "Extras" provided for an up gunned version!:thumb2:
They released that version over a decade later:

130071-10911-pristine.jpg

Though if you want one on a (relative) budget, I would recommend its Academy counterpart instead:

107513-16348-38-1440.jpg

Or, if the budget isn’t a problem:

1004959-12741-87-pristine.jpg

It does come with "A Full Interior",not sure about that.......
It’s far from complete, but it will certainly look the part :smiling3:

White was suggested for the interior colour,but i`ll check that out.
That is the correct colour for all M113s with petrol engines, and also for early M113A1s (that had diesel engines and a few other modifications). The Tamiya kit represents the former, and so should be white on the inside. Later M113A1s and subsequent models should have the interior painted pale green (AKA “puke green”) rather than white.

However, if you leave out the engine and keep its hatches closed, hardly anybody is going to notice the difference between an M113 and an M113A1.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Once again,your wealth of info is invaluable thanks Jakko :thumb2: ,
Thanks very much for all that input mate,it really is much appreciated!
I find it fascinating that they decided to put that kit out with the "Alterations" that they suggested TEN YEARS later?!!,:flushed:,
The funds limitations don`t really apply to me in a literal sense,(Don`t get me wrong,i`m certainly not loaded!!),i`m more of a "I ain`t paying that for THAT" person,but if it`s something i deem "Worth it",then i`ll push the boat out!!
Andy
BTW.... That top box art,showing the rolled up "Fence Wire",for protection...... looks EXACTLY like the roll i scratch build myself on the rear of the "Patton" i did in my last Dio!...... i`m quite chuffed about that!!:thumb2:
Thanks again for your input Buddy!
Andy

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I find it fascinating that they decided to put that kit out with the "Alterations" that they suggested TEN YEARS later?!!,:flushed:,
They had done more involved variants earlier, like the M577 mentioned earlier in this thread and the M106 mortar carrier. The ACAV version was very popular when it came out, because the extra parts are well done (better than the rest of the kit, which itself was pretty good for a 1970s kit) and it looks cooler :smiling3:

i`m more of a "I ain`t paying that for THAT" person,but if it`s something i deem "Worth it",then i`ll push the boat out!!
My idea is that if you’re going to put expensive accessories on a kit, it’s a smarter move to do that on the better-detailed kit than on a (now-)second-rate kit that might be cheaper. In other words, I don’t like putting lipstick on a pig — even if that pig was a swan a few decades ago :smiling3:

That top box art,showing the rolled up "Fence Wire",for protection...... looks EXACTLY like the roll i scratch build myself on the rear of the "Patton" i did in my last Dio!...... i`m quite chuffed about that!!:thumb2:
I remember seeing the photos of that and thinking you had taken it from the Tamiya ACAV kit.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I remember seeing the photos of that and thinking you had taken it from the Tamiya ACAV kit.
HA!! I`ll take that as a compliment Jakko:cool:,
twas indeed all my own work,and i must admit,the similarity is amazing!(BTW I took the inspiration for it from that "Images of War,The Patton Tank " book I bought during the previous Diorama;)!).
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A`noon Guys,
A progress report comin` your way! Despite the boring "Boxlike" shape of these things,the actual internal stuff makes for quite an interesting build.....
IMG_20210810_180549.jpg
With the assistance of good ole Tamiya masking tape,the inside was given a dose of white,
IMG_20210812_172301.jpg
IMG_20210810_204226.jpg
IMG_20210812_172009.jpg
Plenty of decals are provided,so,whether you`ll see `em or not.......Whack `em on!!:thumb2:,Next,more masking tape required for some green.......
IMG_20210814_104611.jpg
Hmmmm,what about seepage? :thinking:.........
IMG_20210814_114615 (2).jpg
.......pleased to say,not too much at all......
IMG_20210814_114542.jpg
So,that`s it as it stands currently,a very enjoyable build,and,considering it`s age,nicely detailed.
Next to attempt painting up some interior stuff.As always,thanks for looking in,any hints tips,thoughts or general abuse are more than welcomed!!
Andy