SimonT - Hobbyboss 1/35 Russian T-18 Light Tank

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Does look rather similar doesn’t it :smiling5:

I think I might overspray with a light coat of the base colour again to tone it down

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mud , that's all one needs , and plenty of it.
Really Simon I think it looks ok, it's small, lots of angles ,and with something that small the shading needs to to be pronounced.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the modulation. Good idea to tone it down a bit. Good luck with the weathering

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looking better now, I think. Then again, I’m not a fan of models with obvious highlights and shadows, even though I think they often do look better if they have some.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well I thought the first was perfect Simon.:disappointed2:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Cheers Steve - definitely overdid it with the first try. Going to have to be a lot more careful next time I use that set of paints and remember that less is best :hugging-face:

Thanks Mick

Jakko - the fact that items exhibit highlights and shadows is what helps us determine the 3d’ness of what we are looking at so personally I think enhancing the light and dark to offset the small size of the models has a place. Does help if it is not overdone of course

John - sorry but it looked even worse in person. Far too much contrast between dark and light. The ‘shine’ as they label it is not far off white so needs to be used sparingly - I was way too heavy handed with it

Gave the whole thing a coat of Brown for Dark Green filter which has helped tone things down a bit further

Have just finished adding some red stars on the turret

6B24C178-1B75-411A-B051-6117215BBB5A.jpeg
First I did a test spray - stencil taped down

0D41AAF6-D063-492F-82F5-B9B32F42781B.jpeg
Removed the needle cover and wound down the paint and air settings so I was getting minimum of paint spraying

I used some Tamiya Matt red straight from the bottle - need to spray as dry as possible to reduce the chance of paint creeping under the stencil

F5D3A1F7-A940-4178-8922-FEA16406CEBE.jpeg
Test worked so onwards and upwards - clean the stencil with thinners and then tape it down on the turret

0293F271-5C02-4854-AC5E-C1C06AA0EF53.jpeg
B59AB6CF-479D-4D40-BBD9-D68FD48381EE.jpeg
and success

The right side was a bit tricky as the stencil wouldn’t sit down flat due to the hatch

Had to angle the A/B away from the gap so the paint didn’t blow under

64F15720-A1CB-4072-A947-6ED605A09D67.jpeg
Have found that the Air Viper is not the easiest to clean due to the paint cup being an integral part of the body

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You made a very good job of it Simon, esp with overlapping that hatch hinge plate.
Never heard of an Air Viper before ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Jakko - the fact that items exhibit highlights and shadows is what helps us determine the 3d’ness of what we are looking at so personally I think enhancing the light and dark to offset the small size of the models has a place.
I know, that’s why I said I think models do look better with them, but that I think they shouldn’t be obvious. Too many models you see have such extreme highlights that the model looks painted rather than realistic, IMHO. I’m sure there are lots of people who like that, but I’m not among them :smiling3: I also suspect a lot of modellers paint their models like that because this is the way award-winning models are painted — except that they then (probably subconsciously) exaggerate the finish in a way that the really good painters don’t.

I just realised that a probably very good comparison is typography, though I doubt most people will understand what I mean by that :smiling3: Essentially, really good typography takes a lot of effort for something that nobody except typography geeks experts will notice. OTOH, bad typography is something that almost everyone will notice, even if they can’t put their finger on what is wrong with what they’re reading. (Making bad typography is easy, BTW: use Microsoft Word, for example.)

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Not that I can talk haven't used the airbrush for a year or so but looks ok to me I found you had to over exaggerate so when you applied the filters it all comes together nice under state it and you think was it worth it, although I use filters on the paint job and washes around nuts bolts and hatches etc looking forward to the finish.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Mr T,
Nice work on the stencilling. They can be tricky to use but think You’ve nailed it :thumb2:

I’m another that prefers to over egg the highlights on the assumption that further weathering will mute the effect.

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I agree Paul. Nice work Mr T. Will be practicing with mine soon

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Thanks one and all - the stencils do look good if you get them right. Luckily this time it worked out ok

Low pressure and paint as dry as possible so that it doesn't wick under the stencil and build up the coverage slowly

11.jpg
12.jpg
it got the first wash of 'Dark brown for dark green' last night - this is it when still wet

I left it drying for a few hours then removed a lot of it from the flat surfaces with little foam sponge make-up wotsits

It will get some more focused washing around the details once the initial layer has dried

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
t18-052_2019-10-18.jpg
the rear of each sponson has one of these rings (door knocker?)

I managed to ping the right side one off into oblivion with the paintbrush

t18-053_2019-10-18.jpg
so had to make a replacement - will need to paint it and blend to match surrounding paint

t18-054_2019-10-18.jpg
this is what it currently looks like after a few layers

made a start on the tracks using Tamiya flat earth as the base colour

D

Deleted member 6559

Beautiful painting Simon - the stencils certainly give an authentic look.

Won't comment on shading except to say that it's down to individual taste. If you like it, do it.