"Sink The Bismarck!"

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input boys.

I've stuck on the rear part of the superstructure. I re-painted this and the boat deck from the dk. Green to the overall grey. I've left the bridge area green.
Added both chimleys and a few more A.A. weapons.

The black plastic boot topping has been glued onto the hull. There is also a metal strip fixed to the inside of this to give a bit of weight to the model. I intended to take pre-fixing shots of this stage - but I forgot!:upside:

P1320647.JPG

P1320648.JPG

Starting to look a bit more like KGV.
P1320651.JPG

P1320652.JPG

P1320653.JPG

I've added a few bits of colour contrast to the main deck and added the A.A. gun surrounds to the bow and stern 'gathering'
P1320656.JPG

P1320657.JPG

P1320655.JPG

Time for the secondary guns, ships boats and yet more A.A. stuff.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Andy, thanks for taking the time to post your nice comment. :thumb2:

I've put together and glued in place the secondary 'High Angle' weaponry. The barrels look a bit long - I'll check.
P1320664.JPG

P1320665.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Ron, Can't help with the barrel length, but I do really like the deck coloring you've done. Looking good so for! I don't know much about big floaty things, but have you maybe forgotten to put something between the smoke stacks? Or is that where the life boats go? A catapult maybe? Just wondering Sir..........

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Morn Allen. Thanks for the positive observation on the deck colour. It's a relatively straightforward process. That is another reason why I stick to the kit plastic decks. ;)

You are correct on both counts. Go to the front of the class and give out the pencils! That space is the boat deck. This space was also altered at some time to accommodate a seaplane/ catapult. The boats were moved to the area by the aft funnel.

Overall the model still has plenty of bits to stick on, so it's nowhere near finished.

Looking at pictures, it would seem the barrels are more or less the correct length. But they do look too long.:thinking:

Any road up, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.

I've taken a look at my 1/350 KG5 and decided the gun barrels are just a tad too long on the scale I'm building in this thread. Only about 1 or 2mm, but at such a small scale the reduction will be quite noticeable.

Boats fitted and I've yet to trim all the secondary gun barrels.
P1320666.JPG

Here's a bit of fun to show the three different scales of KG5 I've built.
Top. Revell 1/1200
Middle. Tamiya 1/700. The subject of this ongoing build.
Bottom. Tamiya 1/350. One day I'm going to model this in dry dock, hence the lack of boats and a load of red oxide.
P1320669.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Ron. The shot with all three is a good one. It shows them all off really well, and in addition it shows how consistent your build and paint regime is. The secondary barrels do look too long at first glance, but it could be the design of the turrets that gives them that impression because more is exposed than usual.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul and Tim...

Tim. Me thinks, not so much a consistent build and paint regime, as consistent luck!

Main guns in place. I heated the mounting pins so the guns can turn without falling off.
I find one of the hardest parts of a ship to paint is the demarcation line between the teak deck and the steel edge/combing of the hull. This has to be done. There is no escape...
P1320705.JPGP1320706.JPGP1320704.JPG

The two cranes. Nice detail for something so small. I've also glued the upstands on the main deck, below the boat deck.
P1320699.JPGP1320700.JPG

Next the very, very flimsy masts.

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
Yes, for a small model there is plenty of detail. A pain in the a*** sometimes, but that is the price you pay for going diddy!

Thanks for the post. :thumb2:

Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Lovely work mate, but excuse my ignorance but what is an upstand?
A thing that stands up? :tongue-out3:
I've heard the term used for a piece that goes at the back of a fitted kitchen worktop where it meets the wall, just extends up the wall a couple of inches, but I've not heard anything nautical called that before! Perhaps there's a nautical word?
Pete