"Sink The Bismarck!"

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimmin Eck that looks impressive,
Just had a cracking little catch up on this one.... Gorgeous is how I'd describe it :smiling3:
Lovely stuff Ron,
Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wow!
Boys, thanks ever so much for all your encouraging comments. :thumb2:

I'm starting the rigging tomorrow. I'm normally happy enough doing rigging, it's just that the masts on this model are so thin...Hey ho!

Just to give a good indication as to the small size of the ship and the masts, I've taken a few pictures of the thing resting in me mit....

P1320720.JPG

P1320721.JPG

P1320722.JPG

P1320723.JPG

Steer well clear tomorrow. no prisoners taken!

Cheers.
Ron

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Apologies for the late intrusion...as you know snails often overtake me so the catch up took a while. Lovely build Ron. That's all the size you get with a 1/700 kit. The Haruna I built is roughly the same and I haven't rigged her yet. You go first and I'll take some pointers.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Still with ya here Ron and loving what I see. She sure is tiny for such a big float thingy. I just wonder how many cold ones it will take to rig her up. Patience, nerves of steel and a bunch of swearing might help a bit too. Good luck Sir, may the string be with you...............

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Richard, Allen and Jim. Thank you for your humorous posts.

I've done the rigging on KGV. Totally imaginary. I haven't the skill to do an exact copy, so as long as it looks something like rigging, I'm happy.

Done with ezee line and G.P. glue.
P1320833.JPG

P1320835.JPG

P1320837.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
I've just spotted that I've forgotten to add the crane jib cables.....:upside:

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've realized this post should be in this thread and not where it was yesterday in my 1/700 Bismarck build. I've just managed to swop it over to here.... Sorry for any confusion chaps.

On Easter Sunday, my wife and I planned to visit my son and exchange 'Eggs'. His lady is head honcho at a local nursing home, so as a precaution I took a home made Covid test...

Guess what? The test proved positive! How the hell I contracted the thing is anyone's guess. I ain't been nowhere. Luckily the bride is o.k. -Thus far.

However, it won't stop an old fart like me from battling on at the bench doing summat. I don't fancy doing the rigging on Bismarck just yet, so I've turned my attention to the sinking ship. She went down stern first and leaning to port, before capsizing.
My first idea was to build the sea around the complete ship. Using my usual method this would be too complicated and I would need some kind of box to accommodate the invisible stern section, so I intend to build the full hull, superstructure and stick on only what will be seen, which is roughly half the ship. Then once I'm happy with what is glued in position, I'll cut the whole issue in half at a suitable angle. That way, the ship will be sitting on, rather than half under the surface. I will add the odd bit just under the surface, I'll see what's what at a later stage.

Now here is the clever bit, :nerd: I will save the stern section and once the sinking ship is photographed, I shall reunite the hull halves, add any missing bits and use that to try and model the Bismarck on the sea bed. Smart or what?

Here's where I'm at....

Hull halves joined together.
P1320888.JPG
There are two stiffeners for the hull (top right) As it will be a full hull to start with, I try not to use these. I prefer to keep the hull/ deck joint flexible, so any gaps can be easily skwosed up.

Cheers.
Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron,

Using your hand for scale purposes blew me away. Knew it would be small but it was a big old ship, do I thought it would write quite a bit bigger than it actually is.

Very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the input boys.
I'm on the mend and I think I have got away with it rather more than the wife, who is still in bed.

One good thing to come out of this covid lark is I have to isolate, so where better than up in my den.
As a result, since Monday morning, I've managed to get stuck in and complete the model. It was my intention to model just the part above the waterline, but I decided to complete the whole ship, just in case I changed my mind as to how I would try and model the sinking......

As I've recently built this same ship only a short time ago, it seemed pointless doing a full build all over again.....

This is my best shot as to what she might have looked like for her final battle on the 27th May 1941. I write "Might" because no one has 100% proof as to her appearance on that day.

No primer and all brush painted using various Vallejo 'Air' acrylics. I haven't been too fussy with the final detail finish for obvious reasons......

The main turret roofs painted pale yellow.
For fear of fire, the Arado floatplanes were dumped overboard.
I have presumed the ship's boats were still on board.
No rigging, as I would think most of it would go poing! I will still add a token of the stuff.
I have removed the moulded in bow anchor chains. I will replace these with 'Real' links, so I can introduce a bend in them as the ship will be badly leaning to port.

There could well be other things to attend to as the build progresses, but the above is a start.....

P1320890.JPG

P1320891.JPG

P1320893.JPG

P1320894.JPG

P1320895.JPG

P1320896.JPG

P1320897.JPG

P1320898.JPG

P1320908.JPG

All ready for some serious destruction. :sad-face:

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OH THIS IS GONNA HURT ME MORE THAN IT IS YOU 570 cant you make her sinkin with just a little hole in the stern lol as to break up an sink a lovely model like this is makin me cringe i cant look Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ron,

Very, very good indeed. Yet again I find it hard to believe what scale it is.

Simply outstanding.

ATB.

Andrew

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Glad you're feeling better and I hope your good lady improves soon.
Bismarck is excellent and as everyone has noted the detail belies the scale.
Jim