Steve Jones Panther Ausf G Early Production Rye Field Model 1:35 (AAGB)

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Pete/Bob - I have sat you both together so you can share your food with each other. I will bring some Pukka pies and pasties if you want
Glad to have you along Mick
You have a seat at the front JR next to the BBQ and fire extinguisher :smiling5:
Welcome Greg. Now you have settled in the new flat I look forward to hearing what you think of the build
Nice to see you will keep JR under control Richard. I like my eggs sunny side up please:tongue-out:
Me too Bob:smiling5: Great to have you here

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
Count me in for this. looks like a well engineered kit but looks like dragon did the instructions. As you say some of the things do look a bit gimmicky but I do like the track cleats would be a useful addition for a dio.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Off at a far old pace Steve, lovely job :tongue-out3:

D

Deleted member 7237

I heard "Fire and the name John in the same sentence" so I'm here.

1570040642514.png

Steve you've almost finish it "bum late again"
Pete.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
there are seven "cleats"? that need to be added to the finished track. This allows you to then use the track pole to help remove the track in a dio setting. I have never seen this before and find it hard to believe these would be on the tracks as they would be crushed when the tracks go around.
They’re snow grousers or cleats, intended for use when the tracks wouldn’t have enough grip otherwise. If used on hard ground they couldn’t be pushed into, they would give an extremely uncomfortable ride as the vehicle would be riding up and down them all the time. Maximum speed with them fitted was limited to 15 km/h to prevent damage to suspension and road, says Spielberger’s Der Panzer-Kampfwagen Panther und seine Abarten on page 160, which also has illustrations of the grouser both on and off the track. It doesn’t say where they were stored, but I would suspect in the rear hull bins.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice progress so far Steve, I noticed a couple of steel rollers in the kit pics. will you be adding these to station 8 or will it be an all rubber tired Kitty? Also I had no idea that a stencil was available for "disc" camo. Really curious to see how that works for you. It's a little crowded in here but I think I see JR over in the corner having a pow wow with Matron...I'll join him for the fun. Cheers, Rick H.

First Name
Wouter
Always good to see a Panther being built. Nice start mate!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Well Mr Jones
This is certainly a kit and a half. That track looks the part but would give me nightmares! Lots of decisions to make and fiddly bits - right up your street.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning comrade,
Your flying through this build! You’ll have it painted by the end of next week:smiling5:

Plenty of nice details so far...keep it coming:cool:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
It doesn’t say where they were stored, but I would suspect in the rear hull bins.

They could also be stored in the field made bins over the air intakes or like this in the 1 Pz. Rgt.

IMG_1869.JPG

Or you could just throw them in the back wherever you felt like it,

IMG_1871.JPG

I noticed a couple of steel rollers in the kit pics. will you be adding these to station 8 or will it be an all rubber tired Kitty?

HI Rick,

Stevie is sleeping off the meds Matron gave him at this time. The steel wheels on station 8 were on some last Panther G's MAN built in March/April 1945 and not on early G's. The reason being material shortages so late in the war. On 10 April, the Americans captured the MAN complex in Nürnberg ending production...

Prost
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have seen a early G with out the mantlet chin but with all steel wheels and a retro fitted crew heater?

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Steve and great idea with a whitewashed diskcamo worn down.
Neat start on the tracks and gun.
Will follow along like the rest:smiling:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Yes Bob,

MAN built all steel wheeled type Panthers in September 1944 (chassis #'s 121032 - 121055) and they could have had normal or raised crew heaters. They had no chin mantlet. Panther's with one set of steel wheels on the last station were Late/last G's, not to be confused with all steel wheel model G's.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Allen

The monster 1/16 panther i had for my birthday has steel wheels but a choice of mantlets plus the crew heater

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I now remember reading about that. There was also a change to the rear idler. If I remember correctly they went to a larger diameter to help prevent clogging of the road wheels with mud debris, etc.
Cheers, mates

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
If you were having trouble at the beging mate then there is no point in me even thinking about one of these. It would have end up being shot up.
You seem to have got the better of it by now.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Great to have you along for the blog Scottie. I will be using the cleats. They are great :thumb2:
Its a joy doing an OOB build Bob. Just have to worry about putting it together really.:thumb2:
Not quite Pete. Still a way to go. Lovin the Minions:thumb2::cool:
Top man Jakko. Many thanks
Great to see you here Rick and keeping JR in check. Allen has very kindly saved my brain from exploding and answered the steel rim question for you. There are some PE disc camo stencils out there but the ones I have chosen are actual masks you stick on and take off and reuse. Looking forward to seeing how they cope with the job in hand.
Hello Wouter. How are yer mate?? Chip in anytime if I am going wrong with the build
Your telling me Jim. I thought I was making good head way until I realised I had only completed 7 stages out of 30:smiling5:
I dont want to wish the build away Comrade Benson but I cant wait to get to the wet stuff
Your the DB's Allen. Thank you ever so much for the photos. I will definately be adding them on as an extra piece of detailing. Feeling good about this one. Cheers mate
Bob/Allen/Rick - Thanks for all the questions and answers. I really am learning a lot on this build as I hope you all are as well. Lovin this moggeling lark
I'm so glad you picked up on the paint scheme Fernando. I have not seen it done before on disc camo so I hope it looks the part once done
Thanks Ian:thumb2:
I must say John 90% of the kit is going together really well. However, there are a few curve balls you need to avoid. Getting lots of help from everyone. Feeling the luv from the forum:smiling5::cool:

Last edited: