Steve Jones Panther Ausf G Early Production Rye Field Model 1:35 (AAGB)

First Name
Wouter
Hi Steve, from what I could find the crew compartment heater was a feature added from October 44 and onwards. The sliding covers were installed even later (December 44). So I guess it all depends on the production date of the Panther you are building and wether you want to build a 'correct' Panther...my two cents is that 100% correct is hard to achieve anyway. I'd say go for what you like most. I personally would add it, gives it something extra. ^^

Cheers

Last edited:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your a star Wouter. I just found it in Thomas Jentz book about the Kampfraumheizung. The modified mounting and cover plates - Schutzcappe - didnt come in until November and December which is far too late. Now the problem I have, is the chin guard mantlet came in Sepetember 1944. Surprisingly though I read many Panthers carried on being built with the orginal mantlet all the way up to the end of the war. So if I want the heater I am going to have to move my production date from August to October 1944. Also I need to see if the kit has the smaller self cleaning idler that came into effect in October. Do we know if both MAN and MHN added the heater to their respective models??

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
From what I can tell it was more likely the disc camo came out of the factory in the Ocober/ November batch rather than the August batch. Also I have both versions of the idler so that wont be an issue. I also have three types of exhaust to chose from so I need to work out which one was used Ocober 1944. I found out that the rain guard on the turret was used from August onwards so if I am not happy with the filling I did I could cover it with the guard.

I was supposed to be resting my brain and not doing any research on this build. Unfortunately all the options and lack of guidance in the instructions are not enabling me to do this:face-with-head-bandage:

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Decision has been made! I really like the Flammvernichter exhausts which came in October 1944. So now I can have these exhausts, rain cover and heaters. Job done :thumb2::cool:

So I dont have to worry about G46 and G47 now. As for the tie hooks the most popular position is near the edge of the hatch

If you think anything is incorrect or wish to add more information then please do so

Off to rest my brain

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Sounds good as you seem to have it well in hand. As an aside, refurbs & field repairs were a crapshoot, so many variations existed late war as evidenced in photos. PaulE

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Good point well made Paul. That will cover me then, belt and braces. Many thanks

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
QUESTION TIME - Just above the machine gun a lid/plate hangs done from a chain. Anybody have any ideas what this is please??

Stevie,

This is the plug for the MG port and it's safety chain so it doesn't get lost. Used to plug the hole when the MG is removed. Nice work too!!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Surprisingly though I read many Panthers carried on being built with the orginal mantlet all the way up to the end of the war.
This is in part because German factories worked on the FILO (first in, last out) principle: if, say, a batch of “chin" mantlets was delivered to the factory when there was still a supply of rounded ones, the chinned mantlets would basically be put in front of the old ones, so that they got used first. If/when the chinned mantlets then ran out far enough that the rounded ones became accessible again, workers would just grab those and stick them onto the tanks.

Not sure if this applies to Panther mantlets in particular, but it does to German tanks in general, and explains a lot of the vehicles displaying mixed features of different subvariants.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The whole point of the chain is to keep the plug attached to the tank, so I think it would probably stay there unless things got really bad. Driving through a dense forest or a building might just remove it, I suppose. Or, of course, a lucky shot by an enemy :smiling3:

You can see a similar feature on more modern German tanks, BTW. The Leopard 1 had two rubber plugs attached to the hull front by chains, to close the telescope and coax MG holes in the mantlet for deep wading. They were supposed to be removed after wading by turning the turret.