T-18 / MS1 another 1/35 Russian Tank

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi John great work on the trees and Dio is taking shape very nicely, this is part of your builds that I like the best. As Jim has asked how is vision now.
Pete :thumb2: .

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning John,

latest set of pictures look brilliant, both tanks looking really rather good:thumb2:

Dont envy them tankers digging that out:tired:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Awesome work mate. Just had some Jarvis spring leaves arrive for the Panther. Very impressed
Thanks Steve, yes I think the Jarvis stuff is good, on some trees I now use the scatter. It's in the post so hopefully will arrive tomorrow.

Hi John
Trees are nice and tree like :thumb2: As for the dio it is looking great. You certainly have a flair for that part of modelling.
Hope your eye has stopped giving you problems.
Jim
Hi Jim, yes the eye is a lot better, think to much use using a screen for too long.
Always being reminded to blink more when you use a screen or TV.
I've always enjoyed doing the dio, allows a lot of artistic licence and creativity.
Hi John great work on the trees and Dio is taking shape very nicely, this is part of your builds that I like the best. As Jim has asked how is vision now.
Pete :thumb2: .
Thanks Pete, glad you enjoy this part as well.
All well vision wise, plenty of eye wash when they fit feels tired and gritty , rest as I mentioned to Jim.

Morning John,

latest set of pictures look brilliant, both tanks looking really rather good:thumb2:

Dont envy them tankers digging that out:tired:
Me neither Si, been there, knee deep in thick boggy mud, not my idea of fun, though the staff at Borden thought it would do us well to learn .:smiling2:
Quite pleased with the paint and winter white. Copied as the drawing in Tank Encyclopaedia, well as near :smiling:.
Bloomin' lovely. The birch trees are amazing.
Hi Peter, thanks , will have to bend the branches down a little to give a better look when the leaves are on .
All coming together very nicely 453.
Top work!
Thank you cheque as usual to your off shore account :smiling2::smiling2:

To day I finished the dried garden soil in the MV, two bursts of 4 minutes on high to kill any bacteria and bugs lurking the soil.
An interesting way of getting soil to the right size is to put a handful into a wide bowl, fill with water and move the bowl in a circular motion, this causes the soil to flow to the bottom our side edge of the bowl, you can allow some of the water to flow o ut as you move the bowl.
Once the first water is removed, still very muddy, I leave the remaining to settle over night. Then pour gently the remaining water nearly out. By this time the mud has clouded the remaining water again , so it's left for another night .
Eventually there is a clear amount of water left, this can be slowly and carefully poured away.
What your left with is the smallest granules of soil, but still wet,this is then put into a large flat plant saucer 12 inch and left in the warm to dry out fully. Once this done it goes into a smaller cream tub and is MV'd as above .
Also to day I tried out the oil brushers from AK seem ok, but still ended up using some rust coloured Pinnacle brand(made in the UK ) pigments. These brushes will take time to master, so the more use the better.
Hopefully will post some photos tomorrow.
Thanks for the comments.

John .

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Hi Jim, yes the eye is a lot better, think to much use using a screen for too long.
Always being reminded to blink more when you use a screen or TV.
Best tip I had was to look at something further away every few seconds, so you're not focussing at the same distance for a long time.
Pete

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Best tip I had was to look at something further away every few seconds, so you're not focussing at the same distance for a long time.
Pete
Thanks Peter, will try to remember that.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all.

As promised to the shouts of "Oh he's remembered damn "

IMG_20191002_174904246_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191002_174928887_HDR.jpg

The first tank had been abandoned in the boggy soil.
The latest model has arrived to help dig it out.

IMG_20191002_174916581_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191002_174946810_HDR.jpgIMG_20191002_174946810_HDR.jpg

Some paint added to the soil, to give it a Kursk colour.

IMG_20191002_175002680_HDR.jpg
Been in the MW again, as the paint had been added to some water, then mixed into the soil.
This will be the main colour around where the tank has sunk in. Will try to lighten up the other as it is spread onto the road and back ground area where the trees will go .

The Jarvis scattered arrived to day so will have a great day playing tomorrow.:smiling2::nerd:

John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes JR, the soil does look rather "Kursky"! Your Ruskie droids are looking the bomb. Will be nice once you get the landscape up to snuff.
Cheers, Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
A’ noon John Well the tanks look great but don’t fancy your dinner much :tongue-out2: ....:smiling5:

Sounds like you’ve had fun playing with mud. I used John innes seed compost when I did my little T60 base. It has small stones and little pieces of fibrous matter....I oven baked mine though and served with cauliflower cheese and roast spuds :nerd::smiling5:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes JR, the soil does look rather "Kursky"! Your Ruskie droids are looking the bomb. Will be nice once you get the landscape up to snuff.
Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks Rick, keep an eye out for those Birch trees tomorrow, I'll get the first coat of leaves on.:smiling2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A’ noon John Well the tanks look great but don’t fancy your dinner much :tongue-out2: ....:smiling5:

Sounds like you’ve had fun playing with mud. I used John innes seed compost when I did my little T60 base. It has small stones and little pieces of fibrous matter....I oven baked mine though and served with cauliflower cheese and roast spuds :nerd::smiling5:
Si Like your good self I gave my self permission to use my MW to do the bake, but no veg :crying:. Oh mud, well there nothing like making up soil for dioramas, reminds me of people panning for gold the way the bowl is used.
Curry to night, I can assure you it will not look like that :smiling:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
looking good mate
Thanks Paul.
Think I may have over done some of the rust, but I can see that these oil brushers have a steep learning curve, but the results that Amig showed on his video were fantastic .
g

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
John

Sorry a bit behind on this. It should look very nice once finished!

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see your attention to detail with the earth colour. Hope you have fun today with the flora scattering.
Thanks Steve.

Came out like this.
IMG_20191003_162703773_HDR.jpg
I think these look suitable for an autumn look. I need to clean off the trunks on one or two , just to remove the odd scatter.

Meanwhile.IMG_20191003_162712701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191003_162720518_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191003_162727430.jpg

IMG_20191003_162750799_HDR.jpg

The brown scatter above represents fallen leaves , the trees will go along the back and across to the right.

Thanks for looking in. Comment, abuse and what ever always welcome.
John