Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
ANY more pics Bob m8ty as im looking forward to move impreessive work that you do boyo

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ere we go Chris

Rear superstructure bits in Halfords plastic primer.

Trying paint mask around the areas where the parts join. Hoping that it will leave clean plastic for a neat join and paint edge??

Will now for the first time brush with enamels

20220620_172919.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ere we go Chris

Rear superstructure bits in Halfords plastic primer.

Trying paint mask around the areas where the parts join. Hoping that it will leave clean plastic for a neat join and paint edge??

Will now for the first time brush with enamels

View attachment 455884
HI Bob boyo how did you get on painting with the enamals paints as i use them a lot an i have no probs as they give a good finish but what you have done in that
Rear superstructure bits in Halfords plastic primer. looks good well done m8ty keep up the good work
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning over there in Norfolk

Yet to start the brush bits, never tried brush painting enamels, so will need a bit of practice on scrap plastic first.

Hope Jen is a but better today

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Morning over there in Norfolk

Yet to start the brush bits, never tried brush painting enamels, so will need a bit of practice on scrap plastic first.

Hope Jen is a but better today
HI BOYO yes jen still in pain but look a bit above deaths door as a bit more colour in her face so here hopein an yes them enamals paints will cover well just paint it on boyo an it will find its own level without any brush marks so get stuck in an how your lady this morn ? as our freind who came to see us last night has fallen an broke her wrist in 2 places so she was all plasted up with her arm in a sling i cant beleive that two people who are freinds could injure themselves both in the same week an her husband said they got a punkture in their car tyre comin to see us its crazy we have had more things happen this week than a normall year unbeleveible
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Bob. What’s the re-coat time on that stuff? I used to leave Humbrol at least overnight before re-coating. It got touch dry quite quickly, but a second coat could drag off the first one.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking good Bob. What’s the re-coat time on that stuff? I used to leave Humbrol at least overnight before re-coating. It got touch dry quite quickly, but a second coat could drag off the first one.
Do not know Tim, but following your advice leaving overnight, looks a bit better now but patchy.

Yes, it seemed to dry quickly but resisted the urge to do a 2nd coat. Hopefully 2 coats will do

Thanks Tim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do not know Tim, but following your advice leaving overnight, looks a bit better now but patchy.

Yes, it seemed to dry quickly but resisted the urge to do a 2nd coat. Hopefully 2 coats will do

Thanks Tim
Sovereign recommended 24 hours between recoats when brushing Bob…...just looked it up.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Definitely leave enamels for a least 24hours. If you're impatient the new paint will reactivate the previous coat. Then you end up with a thick paint that drags and makes a right mess. That's experience speaking ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Definitely leave enamels for a least 24hours. If you're impatient the new paint will reactivate the previous coat. Then you end up with a thick paint that drags and makes a right mess. That's experience speaking ;)
Can be useful for blending on figures though Jim. Paint base and highlight shade next to each other. Let them go touch dry. Then use a damp (not wet) brush to just tease the colour edges together to form a third intermediate shade.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Painkillers helping so 2nd coat looking better but 3rd needed, is that normal
20220630_115703.jpg
On the downside, Julie went for a rest and the smell made her come back!!

So major changes, going to get a garden shed, put mower, tools, racks in it then strip garage and get a room built inside for all modelling. The room will have a door so will keep out dust, insects.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well the tape is off, looks a bit better than I thought it would, but could / should have much better
20220710_112436.jpg20220710_112421.jpg20220710_112408.jpg20220710_112400.jpg
Cheated by using the black Mr color surfacer primer as the boot topping, masked over it with 5mm tape, worked yes and no, not to happy

There are a few places where paint has got under the tape.

Around the props the paint needs redoing, i must have been to far away, it's very grainy. With Most of the many issues I will try to brush paint over.

Today I have removed the booths and paint from the garage plus its far to hot. Should not have tried painting in the first place as my mind has a lot going on at the moment. Hopefully the new room will get rid of most of the painting issues

What do you think, will leave and not strip

First Name
Hong
Well the tape is off, looks a bit better than I thought it would, but could / should have much better
View attachment 457950View attachment 457951View attachment 457952View attachment 457953
Cheated by using the black Mr color surfacer primer as the boot topping, masked over it with 5mm tape, worked yes and no, not to happy

There are a few places where paint has got under the tape.

Around the props the paint needs redoing, i must have been to far away, it's very grainy. With Most of the many issues I will try to brush paint over.

Today I have removed the booths and paint from the garage plus its far to hot. Should not have tried painting in the first place as my mind has a lot going on at the moment. Hopefully the new room will get rid of most of the painting issues

What do you think, will leave and not strip
Looking at the painting......I'm also pretty undecided on the next course of action.

Normally, it helps when I walk-away for a few days. then look at it again and decide that is best thing to do.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
It will be fine. A light sanding and then careful touch up. Weathering, even just light weathering, will tend to blend things together. You're gonna get stains down from port holes and general fading of the paint etc.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well it's been a while! But the workers have returned.

Added the wooden decks and had a go at tidying the mistakes in the hull. Decided to stick with Mr Color and not enamels although I will finish KGV with the enamels

20221102_124259.jpg20221102_124318.jpg
Had to boot a cat off the bed, he's not happy lol