SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looking very good Bob. As to time, just look on it as lots of little kits added together, a bit like a diorama…….
It's taken me a while to work that out Tim! Brush painted the shelter deck, not too bad, but will spray paint the bridge funnels etc. Always meant this to be a learning/experimental build and my god its turned out that way lol
This is coming on a treat mate.
Cheers Paul, appreciated

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BLOOMIN GOOD SHOW m8ty am glad you are back on that battlewagon nice work cant but help admire your work an skill
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Loving it Bob! But rather you than me!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
BLOOMIN GOOD SHOW m8ty am glad you are back on that battlewagon nice work cant but help admire your work an skill
chrisb
Gradually improving Chris, a very steep learning curve!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Gradually improving Chris, a very steep learning curve!!
WELL Bob m8ty they are quite difficult to build but ive been building them for 30 odd yrs so i know a bit on how to go about building these ships but you goin from a stuggie to a big ship is to me amazeing an you have done it to very well done m8ty
chrisb

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WELL Bob m8ty they are quite difficult to build but ive been building them for 30 odd yrs so i know a bit on how to go about building these ships but you goin from a stuggie to a big ship is to me amazeing an you have done it to very well done m8ty
chrisb
Far to kind Chris, must find my chq book!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It may bounce mind!!

Been taking out the old desk ready for the bigger one which arrives tomorrow. So chance to hoover up the dust and to answer your ?? No, those bl**dy barrels have vanished, asked the cats, they just wiggled there whiskers!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well, now both modelling rooms are up and running its time for my biggest fear, PE.

Now for many of you these bits are very easy but me, no! Added a simple 'shelf' with supports and a small walkway with simple railings. Cleaned first, then used a fibreglass pen to get a good contact surface.
20221121_123922.jpg
These fitted OK and I am fairly happy, but the same parts on the other side were a total nightmare. Did not mind what I did they would not stick, did exactly the same as the other side but no! Cleaned off the ca, tried again and again. Took over an hour, aarrgghh
20221121_123909.jpg
They finally fitted,although the railings broke off.

What the hell am I doing wrong??? Is it best to put ca on the plastic OR the PE? I was using a small pool of ca then either dipping the PE in or running the edge through it. But on 2 occasions some ca got onto the tweezers and yes stuck the PE to them, my nerves are shot lol

Tried using a cocktail stick to dab PE onto the PE edge, no! Very nearly gave up, but a coffee and brickie helped.

This bit was easy lol
20221121_123848.jpg
I know it's me but it's very frustrating, really thought of giving up but I must conquer PE as most of the kits have PE sets!! Me thinks more and more practice on scrap is needed. Hopefully my nails will grow back soon!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well done for fighting on Bob, that PE is minuscule. Strange how some things just give up and stick first time while others are a constant battle for no good reason
Thanks Mick, just wish the guys who plaster some things with PE would not do a step by step lesson!

Might try tacking into place with pva, then try to wick in CA with a looper. If not hide behind the sofa!!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
PE is definitely frustrating! Takes as long as it takes, gave up thinking ill have that done in an hour lol, i use the loctite gel for pe not had to much of problem with things not sticking.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Mick, just wish the guys who plaster some things with PE would not do a step by step lesson!

Might try tacking into place with pva, then try to wick in CA with a looper. If not hide behind the sofa!!
I’ve had the same issues, in fact, I think we probably all have Bob :tongue-out3:
Another approach is a bit more old school. Five minute epoxy is reliable, giving a better bond as well, but you need to use blue tack to hold the PE in place while it sets…….takes a bit of forward planning so you have several joints ready to go at a time to minimise glue waste, but it might be worth a crack…..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I’ve had the same issues, in fact, I think we probably all have Bob :tongue-out3:
Another approach is a bit more old school. Five minute epoxy is reliable, giving a better bond as well, but you need to use blue tack to hold the PE in place while it sets…….takes a bit of forward planning so you have several joints ready to go at a time to minimise glue waste, but it might be worth a crack…..
Hi Tim, one to think of?

I use thin CA, should I use thicker CA?

Ideally I should use masking tape to hold in place then a looper to fix. I have a clamp normally used for wooden ships so that might be handy to hold bigger stuff while I try to fix pe.

Will get out the scrap plastic first