Tamiya 1/350 KGV plus extras

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim, one to think of?

I use thin CA, should I use thicker CA?

Ideally I should use masking tape to hold in place then a looper to fix. I have a clamp normally used for wooden ships so that might be handy to hold bigger stuff while I try to fix pe.

Will get out the scrap plastic first
I’ve found loctite gel CA more reliable, but it can leave residue that needs clean up. On larger PE parts, like schurtzen, I use epoxy as the main adhesive, but hold the part in place while the glue dries using CA. Give blue tack a go Bob, it’s easier to use than tape, and is infinitely flexible.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I’ve found loctite gel CA more reliable, but it can leave residue that needs clean up. On larger PE parts, like schurtzen, I use epoxy as the main adhesive, but hold the part in place while the glue dries using CA. Give blue tack a go Bob, it’s easier to use than tape, and is infinitely flexible.
Cheers Tim

Time for more practice

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The only thing I can suggest is if you can scratch the pe and the kit where it will go with the tip of a modelling knife to give the surface a key. I also use a sticky pen to pick the small pieces up. It isn't easy mate but it will be worth it.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The only thing I can suggest is if you can scratch the pe and the kit where it will go with the tip of a modelling knife to give the surface a key. I also use a sticky pen to pick the small pieces up. It isn't easy mate but it will be worth it.
Hi Paul

Sound advice, thanks. Bought the Big Ed set for the Arizona, so need to sort things out, asap lol

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Might try tacking into place with pva, then try to wick in CA with a looper. If not hide behind the sofa!!

Not a good idea 'Admiral' Bob. If you hide behind the sofa, most of the time the parts will end up getting stuck there and not on the ship model. Just take your time, follow the guy's advice, take a deep breath and you will finally succeed with PE. But......Then you have to have to be extra careful when handling the parts afterwards so not to ping them off again.......

Prost
Allen

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Not a good idea 'Admiral' Bob. If you hide behind the sofa, most of the time the parts will end up getting stuck there and not on the ship model. Just take your time, follow the guy's advice, take a deep breath and you will finally succeed with PE. But......Then you have to have to be extra careful when handling the parts afterwards so not to ping them off again.......

Prost
Allen
I hate that ping Allen, I really hope new 3d printed parts take over and asap

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Has anybody got a photo of the loctite superglue gel please

Got one and it comes with a activator as well??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
No doubt PE can be a real test of ones patience but is often worth while for the added detail. The idea of tacking the PE in place with PVA, letting it dry and then wicking thin CA along the join does work well in many situations.
Keep at it, all's looking good.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob
No doubt PE can be a real test of ones patience but is often worth while for the added detail. The idea of tacking the PE in place with PVA, letting it dry and then wicking thin CA along the join does work well in many situations.
Keep at it, all's looking good.
Thanks Jim, refitting the hair I pulled out, not got much left anyway!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Has anybody got a photo of the loctite superglue gel please

Got one and it comes with a activator as well??
This one Bob
79E8C609-70CE-4E04-AB67-38778CDBF6A1.jpeg
You will find that the added “dispenser” doesn’t dispense all of the glue. It leaves about half a tube. When you can’t get any more out just take it off and use the tube as normal.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
This one Bob
View attachment 467576
You will find that the added “dispenser” doesn’t dispense all of the glue. It leaves about half a tube. When you can’t get any more out just take it off and use the tube as normal.
Thanks Tim, sorry to be a pain

I assume as its a gel you have to use a cocktail stick not a looper ??

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This one Bob
View attachment 467576
WELL Tim ive treid this yes the c/a is good but in my opinion you pay more for the fancy outer casein than the small tube of glue inside it an i do a lot of modeling as you have seen on my tiger build an i use the cheepo c/a from pound land an you get 3 bottle an some very nice thin add on tube just right for you Bob m8ty as it controlls the flow to a very small flow so glue not everywhere but this is just my opionin an Bob m8ty when you come to glue on that pesky p/e just rough up the area with a small bit of sand paper on both bits an it will stick so get to it boyo
chrisb

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tim, sorry to be a pain

I assume as its a gel you have to use a cocktail stick not a looper ??
Bob, a cheap but very effective way of placing glue is to get a sowing needle hold the pointy end in a pin vice or spare exacto handle then snip of the end of the eye to leave a fork. When it gets clogged just bun the residue in a flame but avoid breathing in the fumes.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
WELL Tim ive treid this yes the c/a is good but in my opinion you pay more for the fancy outer casein than the small tube of glue inside it an i do a lot of modeling as you have seen on my tiger build an i use the cheepo c/a from pound land an you get 3 bottle an some very nice thin add on tube just right for you Bob m8ty as it controlls the flow to a very small flow so glue not everywhere but this is just my opionin an Bob m8ty when you come to glue on that pesky p/e just rough up the area with a small bit of sand paper on both bits an it will stick so get to it boyo
chrisb
I just posted it because Bob asked for it Chris. If you look around, it’s just over three quid a pot, hardly expensive……

To be honest, I don’t use CA much because I find the bonds are suspect under load. Most of them hold, but for no real reason at all, one can shear off when you least expect it. In my case, anything that will be regularly handled, and that can’t be mechanically reinforced, gets stuck on with 5 minute Devcon if possible because it‘s bond is far superior.

Trouble with adhesives is that we all think one size fits all, especially with CA. There are lots of grades and types, and some are better at certain jobs than others.…….flexible types being good where shock loading is expected, and the Locktite bearing retainer range being great for holding gears on shafts…..as examples.

Whatever Sauron says, there just isn’t “One glue to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them”………horses for courses, that’s the watchword.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I just posted it because Bob asked for it Chris. If you look around, it’s just over three quid a pot, hardly expensive……

To be honest, I don’t use CA much because I find the bonds are suspect under load. Most of them hold, but for no real reason at all, one can shear off when you least expect it. In my case, anything that will be regularly handled, and that can’t be mechanically reinforced, gets stuck on with 5 minute Devcon if possible because it‘s bond is far superior.

Trouble with adhesives is that we all think one size fits all, especially with CA. There are lots of grades and types, and some are better at certain jobs than others.…….flexible types being good where shock loading is expected, and the Locktite bearing retainer range being great for holding gears on shafts…..as examples.

Whatever Sauron says, there just isn’t “One glue to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them”………horses for courses, that’s the watchword.
WELL Tim i was just tryin to save ow mate Bob some money is all but up to him on that an 4 grams wont go far on a model like my tiger as i have found out to my cost so i started to buy locktigh 10 gram bottles an that is exspensive nr 7 pound a bottle here in the shops an yes i had a good look around before i bought may be it cheaper where you live
ATB
Chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Chris mate, if you are using that much an alternative like Devcon might be more cost effective for certain larger joints……..just use the CA to tack the part in place while the Devcon goes off……

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris mate, if you are using that much an alternative like Devcon might be more cost effective for certain larger joints……..just use the CA to tack the part in place while the Devcon goes off……
HI Tim what is devcon ? an if it takes time to go off then no good to me i need an instand bond like im gettin with that glue im usin now but each to his own eh
chrisb

Reactions: JR