Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely stuff indeed mate...
Blimmin love it :smiling3:
P.S.... at first glance I really thought that looked very much like the early WW2 British Caunter scheme camo ;)
Cheers Andy. Glad you are enjoying it. I can see what you mean about the caunter scheme. I’m sure the green will change that impression though ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Tim. That's going to look the bees knees once done!

ATB.

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Loving this build, Tim. Great to see you working away from your current (recent? soon to be superseded?) core interest in miniatures. And now you're onto the painting it's even more interesting for me! :tears-of-joy:

Last edited:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looking very nice Tim :thumb2:

Really impressed with the preshading as it’s not too uniform.
I usually do a sort of black basing but you’ve inspired me to try your approach on my Spit build.

Geoff.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving this build, Tim. Great to see you working away from your current (recent? soon to be superceded?) core interest in miniatures. And now you're onto the painting it's even more interesting for me! :tears-of-joy:
Hi Paul
Glad you are enjoying it. My core interest won’t be superseded though. I’m enjoying this as a change, and it’s good to refresh my airbrush skills, but I’ll be back on the little blokes for a while once this and the Mosquito are built…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very nice Tim :thumb2:

Really impressed with the preshading as it’s not too uniform.
I usually do a sort of black basing but you’ve inspired me to try your approach on my Spit build.

Geoff.
Hi Geoff. Very kind of you. I find colours that are too even a bit off putting in a model, hence my approach to this one. Give it a go :cool: The technique isn’t hard, but does require a lighter than usual touch on the airbrush.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, time for a leap into the dark……I was going to start on the blue tack sausages, and remembered I bought this stuff years ago.

A0FE8030-4F1D-448C-867F-1D8559B3B8CD.jpeg

It is basically Panzer Putty, only cheaper and not in a branded pot. Now, I’ve never used it, so this could be an absolute disaster……it flows onto the surface very well, but comes off quite easily so will take careful handling……

Here she is masked up.
C00017DC-CA2A-4D90-B4CC-CA7DCF6F038E.jpeg
Looks like an attack of the blob doesnt it. Quite easy to use, time consuming of course, but easy to spread into the camouflage shapes, so wish me luck, I’m going in…….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
….and now with paint…….
FF89C3E6-4541-4191-95BD-8EF081860E4C.jpeg
Bit more trouble keeping the pre shade this time. The science putty makes the aircraft hard to handle, so getting finesse into my airbrushing was much harder. I’m going to take the putty off later on today, so wish me luck…….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Funny stuff this science putty…..it runs…..
A54BF239-C259-4DCD-8235-CABF9C221C3D.jpeg

Came off as clean as a whistle though……
02284A91-3E6F-420C-BFB1-9CE8C86738D7.jpeg
It also looks to be reusable. I’ll definitely use it again. It was far easier than messing about with bits of tape and rolls of blue tack. Tomorrow I’ll probably get the rest of the tape off underneath and start masking for the invasion stripes……doesn’t look like I’ll need a panel line pin wash on this one either. The panels seem pretty well defined…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks very good Tim. I have some of that Panzer Putty. First time I used it I masked up in the evening intending to airbrush the next day. Afternoon of the next day and most of it had flowed off onto the bench. If you don't hang about it does work well.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, it’s learning curve alright Jim……I’ll certainly use it again though. I really like the way you can push it around on the surface to get the pattern right. Saying that, I might do the Mossy one wing/side at a time. It’s quite hard to handle the model when it’s on.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Runny putty! I would end up with it everywhere, certainly done its job though, splendiferous paint job old chap. :thumb2: :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Runny putty! I would end up with it everywhere, certainly done its job though, splendiferous paint job old chap. :thumb2: :smiling3:
Funny thing is, it’s not runny when you put it on. It’s a bit like blue tack, but without the stickyness. Very strange stuff. If you stretch it slowly it just pulls thin. If you stretch it quickly it snaps. Apparently it can shatter if you hit it with a hammer…..
The technical term is a non Newtonian fluid. The stress characteristics change depending upon the force involved. I think it’s real name is silly putty……whatever it is, this stuff was about half the price of Panzer Putty….