Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Tim, great work so far. I can feel your lack of Mojo due to the heat. Hard to concentrate when the sweat pours down your forehead while trying to do something. Please keep going on this when it cools down a bit, as you've put some hard work into it my friend.......

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Tim!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Wow Tim, great work so far. I can feel your lack of Mojo due to the heat. Hard to concentrate when the sweat pours down your forehead while trying to do something. Please keep going on this when it cools down a bit, as you've put some hard work into it my friend.......

Prost
Allen
Cheers Allen. I’ve no intention of stopping….now I’m past the primer it may move a bit quicker…..hoping to start the actual paint tomorrow.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
OK, with no pressure at all from Andy LOL…..got primer on, pre shade on, and sprayed the sky tail band and spinner…..

EA8B9666-32A9-42D3-A089-151D1C2D3629.jpeg
E696B22D-1A3F-4F38-84D8-25773FE42402.jpeg
Never know why I preshade on British stuff, the colours cover so well you just can’t see it…..works great on German stuff…..once this has dried then mask off the band and do the underside colour…..possibly this afternoon…..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good progress Tim. With the predicted very high temperatures over the next few days airbrushing may have to wait.
As for preshading :rolling: I tend to obliterate preshades although on the few occasions I have got it to work it does look good.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good progress Tim. With the predicted very high temperatures over the next few days airbrushing may have to wait.
As for preshading :rolling: I tend to obliterate preshades although on the few occasions I have got it to work it does look good.
Jim
You could be right about the temperature Jim, though using MLT and Tamiya seems pretty temperature independent. Wouldn’t try it with acrylics though.
I know what you mean about pre shades….looks great when it works, but most light neutral colours like sky and light grey are too opaque for it to work well. I also lighten the centre of the main panels, so that helps break up a monotone surface as well. All I am trying to do with it is get a little colour variation into the surface. Panel lining and streaking do help with that as well. I was surprised how rusty I was with the pre shading though. I was almost unable to get straight lines down….I need to airbrush more often…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, I had some more planned on this today….but it turns out I didn’t have any the correct paint grrrr! Its ordered and I now have to wait for it to turn up……at least it will cool down by the time it arrives……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Perhaps no bad thing Tim. The temperature predicted over the next few days ain't going to make for a good painting session.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Perhaps no bad thing Tim. The temperature predicted over the next few days ain't going to make for a good painting session.
After today I won’t get on it until Wednesday anyway Jim, so hopefully it will be cooling a bit by then.

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
That is some nice progress Tim. I know the feeling when it's too hot to spray. We're supposed to get the heat wave next week after you guys on the Insel are through with it. Never tried the pre-shading thing myself.....Maybe on my Mossie.....

Prost
Allen