Tim’s Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well that took some time……but at least it’s cooler now.
Finally got back on this…..

1010A16E-ED93-484E-B9CA-6C7F2CBE61FD.jpeg
Underneath is now sprayed up, and even though it’s painted and the centre of the panels lightened a little, I didn’t completely obliterate the preshade. Tamiya and MLT really does airbrush exceptionally well.…….hopefully on to the next layer of masking, so I don’t inadvertently spray this with the upper airframe colours, and spray the topside tomorrow.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautifully done tim , lovely variation in the tone , cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks good Tim. It's not easy to get nice variation but when it works, like this, it don't half put a smile on your face :tongue-out3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good Tim. It's not easy to get nice variation but when it works, like this, it don't half put a smile on your face :tongue-out3:
Certainly does Jim. Apart from primer and varnish on the little blokes I haven’t done much airbrushing recently. This build is certainly refreshing my skills, so I’m pleased how it came out.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,
That's smart. When I grow up in modelling, I want to be that good.
Kind Regards,
John
Thanks John, very kind of you. What clicked for me was starting to use the airbrush as a brush powered by air rather than as a spray gun. Takes a little practice to get the finesse on the trigger finger, but that is all it does take. No special skills needed…

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Apologies Tim, got behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed.

Preshade has turned out nicely. I know they're not normally your thing but if you do another plane in the future you should give black-basing a go. I think it works a treat!!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is looking very nice. Love the preshade on the undersides.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Tim.
I like the Spitfire XII - it looks mean. I have a conversion kit in 1/32 (no commercially available kit in this scale). Seeing yours coming together so well makes me want to start mine!
Looking forward to see the finished model
Cheers
Paul

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apologies Tim, got behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed.

Preshade has turned out nicely. I know they're not normally your thing but if you do another plane in the future you should give black-basing a go. I think it works a treat!!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew
Thanks for the support Andrew. Glad you like it.
The results you have achieved using black basing are excellent, and show its potential, However, I don’t think black basing is something I could use. To me it is the same as painting figures from a black primer, and would have the same drawbacks. Basically, the few times I’ve tried it I’ve found it very hard to “read“ the model under an over all black coat of paint. I just can’t see the detail. I would far rather use Zenitel priming, which pre shading mimics, to highlight structure and build up colour variation over that. It just works better for me ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Tim.
I like the Spitfire XII - it looks mean. I have a conversion kit in 1/32 (no commercially available kit in this scale). Seeing yours coming together so well makes me want to start mine!
Looking forward to see the finished model
Cheers
Paul
Thanks for the compliment Paul. I wasn’t so sure when I started it, but am growing to like it now. The “power bulges” on the cowling hark back to the Schneider racers I think, and I’ve always liked the clipped wings. It is quite an aggressive looking bird over all. I’ll look forward to seeing you start yours ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks for the support Andrew. Glad you like it.
The results you have achieved using black basing are excellent, and show its potential, However, I don’t think black basing is something I could use. To me it is the same as painting figures from a black primer, and would have the same drawbacks. Basically, the few times I’ve tried it I’ve found it very hard to “read“ the model under an over all black coat of paint. I just can’t see the detail. I would far rather use Zenitel priming, which pre shading mimics, to highlight structure and build up colour variation over that. It just works better for me ;)
Completely understand. I'll probably give pre-shading another go on a wingy thing at some point. I've certainly got enough planes to practice on now!!!! ;):smiling5:...... And it would be good to have another string in the how!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Still progressing slowly……Ocean grey now on…..
46F04C91-4BE8-4F61-9C2A-5532FCB8DD6B.jpeg
1A18DEE7-1D11-4E96-B0DE-46322988F765.jpeg
Next up, blue tac worms and yet more masking for the green Camo…..then pull off the masking, tidy up any bleed through, and mask up for the invasion stripes and yellow leading edges…I’d forgotten how much masking an aircraft build needs. I’m getting a little quicker at it now though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Definitely a lot of masking but has to be done. Preshade is still there ;)
Cheers Jim. Yep, it has to be done alright.
Maintaining the pre shade is why I do the Camo this way. I could have just painted the whole in ocean grey, then marked and sprayed the green, but the green on top of the grey would obliterate the pre shade. What I do is pencil on the Camo outlines, and then paint the first colour just over the lines. This will allow me to mark the second colour areas more accurately with blue tack before I paint that. Hopefully this will preserve the pre shade when I do. Carefully spraying the centre of the panels with a lighter shade also helps modulation.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Cheers Jim. Yep, it has to be done alright.
Maintaining the pre shade is why I do the Camo this way. I could have just painted the whole in ocean grey, then marked and sprayed the green, but the green on top of the grey would obliterate the pre shade. What I do is pencil on the Camo outlines, and then paint the first colour just over the lines. This will allow me to mark the second colour areas more accurately with blue tack before I paint that. Hopefully this will preserve the pre shade when I do. Carefully spraying the centre of the panels with a lighter shade also helps modulation.
Lovely stuff indeed mate...
Blimmin love it :smiling3:
P.S.... at first glance I really thought that looked very much like the early WW2 British Caunter scheme camo ;)