USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I have done it...61 pcs of stanchions within five days giving myself six days to achieve at a steady pace of 10 a day.

20220206_192116.jpg

They are almost equal so am chuffed about it.
No cleats John :smiling6:.
Here's the mesh I'll be using from Accurate Armour... Derek Hansen diamond mesh. I have two of these sheets...more than enough.

20220206_193014.jpg

Already marked out lengths to be cut at the edge. For ease of painting I will not glue the stanchions to the gunwhales but dry fit them when installing the mesh perhaps using white glue just to temporarily secure them down. I will CA everything including the rope/threaded along each stanchion. Clean up any clogged mesh with debonder and airbrush in the paint after applying metaliser. That's the plan.
Some of the stanchions are oxidising so perhaps I'll apply metaliser to those first.

I think there is hope for this Constipation.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
So the Year of the Tiger looks to have started well. All stanchions done :thumb2:
I know my HMS Victory has many differences but it used thin wire between the stanchions rather than rope/thread. It did make things more rigid.
P1060816.JPG
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
So the Year of the Tiger looks to have started well. All stanchions done :thumb2:
I know my HMS Victory has many differences but it used thin wire between the stanchions rather than rope/thread. It did make things more rigid.
View attachment 444784
Jim
Daughter is born in the year if the tiger so I hope some of her luck also rubs off on me.

Wire sounds like a possibility but needs to be fine and twined like rope to get the desired effect but thread soaked in CA can also be rigid. I may need to use the synthetic ones with less fibre hair.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, the wire rope idea is starting to get my interest as it would be easier to thread through the stanchion holes. I have 4 strand brass wire which I'll twist with a dremel into rope. Hope I have enough length.

I had a rewatch of Master and Commander for references and prefer the messy array of rope on the Surprise than the neat deck of the restored Constitution. Also John B, there were the hammocks in the vertical diamond netting...interesting how they're tied into bundles.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks promising...with the aid of flat nosed clamps I thought I might have needed to cut slots for the curve leading to the bow but that won't be necessary because the PE is bendable.
20220208_113152.jpg
I do need to file grooves into the gunwhales to minimise the gap between the top of the gunwhales and base of the net. This will be done once the net and rope are secured to the stanchions.
20220208_113202.jpg
I'm happy I decided to do this as it would give the ship the added detail apart from the rigging.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard very nice work on this ship an its certainly kept you busy on those U brackeck wire ones i call them as cant remember name for them but i think you have a heck of a lot of determination very well done this should be a cracker of a model when done
chris

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm in agreement with Chris on this Richard......very impressive bit of detailing there. :thumb2: Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Stanchions looking excellent Richard. Looking at your reference picture though, I don‘t think the mesh runs along the bottom, just down the sides and is then affixed to the gunwales, which is why you have a gap at the bottom.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Apologies for constipating again and while doing so SWMBO accidentally tipped it and Constipation fell on the hard floor cracking the tail end. Good thing she is Old Ironsides so was able to put her back together again. Just need to hide the crack lines with paint.

Since the beginning I had always wanted to add this above the gun deck. I don't know what it's called but is a form of netting seen in this attached image that either served as a walkway or whatever I don't know...what is it actually?

View attachment 444321

I had looked for PE mesh before internet times and luckily some one brought them in at an LHS but were diamond shaped. Now it's easy to just order. I will still use the diamond shaped one as I've seen some ships having those.
I decided to make the supports with thin wire so to consistently make 60 of these I made a jig with pins nailed onto plywood backing...

View attachment 444322

I then drilled out an acetate sheet to serve as a back lifter after I've wound the wire around.

View attachment 444323

I'll try the first run tomorrow.

Cheers,
Richard
Sorry for the delay in answering Richard,they're called 'hammock cranes'! Model is looking good!
Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely Pete.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys,
Stanchions looking excellent Richard. Looking at your reference picture though, I don‘t think the mesh runs along the bottom, just down the sides and is then affixed to the gunwales, which is why you have a gap at the bottom.
Tim, meaning they are positioned on the outer side of the stanchions?

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks guys,

Tim, meaning they are positioned on the outer side of the stanchions?

Cheers,
Richard
Yes mate. If you look closely at your picture they run in front of the stanchion, not behind it, and then are tied at the top to the rail, then at the bottom to the gunwales. Not trying to give you extra work, but I know you like to get things spot on ;)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes mate. If you look closely at your picture they run in front of the stanchion, not behind it, and then are tied at the top to the rail, then at the bottom to the gunwales. Not trying to give you extra work, but I know you like to get things spot on ;)
Thanks Tim, good thing it's not glued down yet and can be removed and wrapped on the outside. Will have to remeasure slightly bigger to fit.

Cheers,
Richard.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim, good thing it's not glued down yet and can be removed and wrapped on the outside. Will have to remeasure slightly bigger to fit.

Cheers,
Richard.
I think they need to be strips down the sides, not U shaped Richard ;)