USS Constipation 1/120 scale Imai long suffering build

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

Very creative way to build these blocks. They are always very fiddly and I hope yours work out. Just as a model here is one of my naval blocks. This is of course a double block whereas most that you need are singles. Also the strapping around this block is metal whereas the more common method was to strap them with rope and instead of a hook at the top they would have a loop of rope called a bight.

block.jpg

Still watching with much interest.

John

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I don't know why I missed this, Richard, as you know I'm a fan of yours . I've just had a massive catch up and I have to say that this is a truly epic piece of model making my friend! And all credit to you for your determination to finish it in style after all these years.
Crack on!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

Very creative way to build these blocks. They are always very fiddly and I hope yours work out. Just as a model here is one of my naval blocks. This is of course a double block whereas most that you need are singles. Also the strapping around this block is metal whereas the more common method was to strap them with rope and instead of a hook at the top they would have a loop of rope called a bight.

View attachment 448143

Still watching with much interest.

John
Thanks John, and for the info and reference too. I wouldn't get this kind of stuff this side of the world as we're not a nation with sea faring history. You've given me an idea to drill through the blocks I have cut out and thread very fine wire to make the straps and bight. The drilling will be a challenge so I'll need extras in case of failures.
Hi Richard
I'm sure the blocks will look convincing. Very inventive :thumb2:
Jim
Thanks Jim, lots of thinking out of the box...kind of desparate when you have lack of material to source from.
I don't know why I missed this, Richard, as you know I'm a fan of yours . I've just had a massive catch up and I have to say that this is a truly epic piece of model making my friend! And all credit to you for your determination to finish it in style after all these years.
Crack on!
Thank you Neil, SWMBO got me this kit when we were lovey doveys...the flame still flickers not as bright but still there and building this just reminds me of those days. She knows now that I prefer buying my own but still supports my hobby by clearing space for me to display my builds.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yesterday at the LHS, I masked up the whale/life boats to paint up the strips and different wood grain colors of the interior.
20220313_130459.jpg
Four boats and lots of masking tape later and I have the base coats on. Will add wash and weathered highlights hopefully tonight.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today I started on another of the 17 parts needed for the ropes and blocks of each carronade trolley. And I have to make 20 sets of 6 eyes if they're correctly called.
20220314_131103.jpg
The kit do provide these but just 7 that are already used on the hull to secure the main rigging and are much larger.
Already made 2 sets and to think the hammock netting was a challenge. :astonished:
I will have to set a timeline of how many sets a day and still have time for my other builds.
I hope you guys have the stamina to follow.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Got the stamina to follow, if you’ve got the stamina to build ‘em Richard :thumb2:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
These are available commercially from model railroad supply houses, in various scales if you decide that making these little guys is too much of a PITA....just a thot. ;) Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
I have just had a good catch up mate and I can't think of anything to say that will do this build justice, so I will simply say outstanding.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Got the stamina to follow, if you’ve got the stamina to build ‘em Richard :thumb2:
I'm not too sure I'm as fit as you are Tim. :smiling2: But I'm game to finish this. It's been constipated for 30 odd years so another year or two won't matter. Appreciate the company.
Its very easy and relaxing watching you work :smiling: :smiling:
Thanks Mick, I know you mean well but I'm shitting bricks here. :smiling6:
Good luck with all these greeblies Richard. If you run out of steam you can always go here.

John
Thanks for the Mae West John, just had a look and the smallest eye pin they have is the one that came with the kit. If making the smaller pins doesn't kill me I might just resort to the larger ones. I need all the luck I can get.
These are available commercially from model railroad supply houses, in various scales if you decide that making these little guys is too much of a PITA....just a thot. ;) Rick H.
Hi Rick, another Mae West..appreciate it, that's one area I didn't think of. Thanks.
Hi Richard
Just pace yourself. You'll get them done :smiling:
Jim
Hi Jim, yes that's my plan with some of my other builds in between for a break. Got lots of those to break the monotony or burn out.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, really appreciate it. Somehow making the eye pins just delays the fear of threading the blocks and tying all parts together but I'm visualising it and it's doable...just time consuming.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
I have just had a good catch up mate and I can't think of anything to say that will do this build justice, so I will simply say outstanding.
Thanks Scottie, knowing you guys are watching and occasionally give words of encouragement will see this build through. That's my aim for 2022 apart from the other ongoing builds.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yesterday at the LHS, I masked up the whale/life boats to paint up the strips and different wood grain colors of the interior.
View attachment 448270
Four boats and lots of masking tape later and I have the base coats on. Will add wash and weathered highlights hopefully tonight.

Cheers,
Richard
Pictures can really show up stuff that you miss out. I will be covering the ejector pin marks with stowed canvas and rope in the boats.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Today while at the garage getting my shock absorbers replaced I brought along my tool box and proceeded with making some eyes pins and smaller ones too.
20220316_012926.jpg
But before that I filed and sanded the ejector pin marks on the boats and not restrict myself to place canvas or gear just to hide them.
20220316_012613.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
If I was going to scratch 80 blocks and 120 eye pins and drill holes for these then I better make a set first to see if it works... this was done just now...
20220316_214601.jpg
Only need to fit the ropes between the blocks. So far it's working and I find working with polycotton is much easier than polysilk. The ties are more secure and they soak CA easily and become rigid with not much fibre showing. I will paint the blocks and pins before adding the rope. Does take time but I've seen ships like these being worked on and they tie everything with thread. I just need to get into rhythm.

Cheers,
Richard