What's on the Bench 2024

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Even whan incomplete the 'Stuka' just looks so mean!

Miko (one of the few WWII kits in my stash is a Stuka)

Miko

SMF Supporter
First Name
Miko
Thoughts?

Work on the one that's nearest to completion, the wave of enthusiasm will carry over to complete the next!

Miko (really dislike having incomplete kits! My Tamiya 1/20 scale Honda F1 RA272 has sat waiting patiently for over a year haunts my modelling bench)

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Working on a Dragon Early-version M48A3 and the Hobby Fan infantry figure group... I went without the later improved cupola vision port ring and no search Iight either. Will be adding some stowage, mostly spare assorted ammo and fuel cans.I have the later version in my stash so will probably build that one in the near future. Hope you all like.

Attachments

• 291477.jpeg
    291477.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 291476.jpeg
    291476.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 291478.jpeg
    291478.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 20

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Working on a Dragon Early-version M48A3 and the Hobby Fan infantry figure group... I went without the later improved cupola vision port ring and no search Iight either. Will be adding some stowage, mostly spare assorted ammo and fuel cans.I have the later version in my stash so will probably build that one in the near future. Hope you all like.
Looking very good Ron hope you keep in touch with this one was the whole thing tank and figures taken from a actual combat /film footage/photo. Dave

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Update on Revell 1/144 Saturn V build.
These would sit much better in the build thread.
It's fine to post a picture or two in here, but try to keep it to just one of two... please, thank you, cherry on top and all that.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
My desk right now...
Build desk: Loads of bits of wire. I will try update the build thread. Don't hold your breath lol
Paint desk: Loads of bit of Landing craft. No build thread... Sorry

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking very good Ron hope you keep in touch with this one was the whole thing tank and figures taken from a actual combat /film footage/photo. Dave
Cheers David ! Yeah , this reminds me of the movie Full Metal Jacket though I know those were different tanks

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I went without the later improved cupola vision port ring
If you would like me to pick historical accuracy nits, then if it doesn’t have the vision riser ring, it should probably also have the older type of headlights, under a round guard instead of the flattened one you’ve got here, as well as the mudguards with the front stays on the angled part … The square tail light guards and the bars around the exhaust grill are also later features that probably means the tank would have the vision ring. I can’t make out in the photos if the commander’s hatch (in the cupola) is the more bulged type for extra headroom, but that also goes with the vision blocks. Cupolas without it had a hatch with a rounder profile.

However, doing it the other way around (older mudguards, lights etc.) with a later cupola with riser ring, is definitely possible.

I also get the impression that the USMC in Vietnam (your figures are Marines) only had the earlier type of M48, some fitted with the later type of cupola, though.

Yeah , this reminds me of the movie Full Metal Jacket though I know those were different tanks
M41s, I guess because those were available to the filmmakers in England, whereas M48s were not. Still, a far less intrusive error than you see in most 1960s war movies :smiling3:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks great Ron.Always partial to an M48 in Vietnam.
Rich

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
'A Hundred Miles of Bad Road' was a great book on M48s in VN. Spotted headlights/taillights, but most folk won't notice. Great poses on your Marines.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul , will look into that book !
Thank You Jakko for pointing out the differences. Initially I
didn't have the interest or enthusiasm (mojo I guess) in dealing with changing any details , just wanted an OOB build. But, once I saw in a photo what you described, Yes I see what you mean. I know I can scratch the lighting frames easily enough, but the front light lens themselves look a no-go, for me this moment anyway.
I was ecstatic to then find out that the correct front & rear lighting is actually provided in that second kit I still have on hand. So... Whew !! It seems that all I have to do is build up that lower hull to mate with this turret. As for the bulge-style cupola, well I just don't know. This one seems to have a bit of a bulge built in, I guess. Anyway, once I see that feature in a pic then maybe I'll feel it's important enough to worry over.
FWIW, I have just ordered a couple of Patton titles that each are good photo references.
I wonder why the factory went to the trouble to provide different lighting styles to be used on Marine vs. Army tanks anyway...?
Anyway...THANKS Jakko !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As for the bulge-style cupola, well I just don't know. This one seems to have a bit of a bulge built in, I guess. Anyway, once I see that feature in a pic then maybe I'll feel it's important enough to worry over.
The non-bulged version had vision blocks in it, the bulged version didn’t, I remembered after my previous post.

I wonder why the factory went to the trouble to provide different lighting styles to be used on Marine vs. Army tanks anyway...?
They didn’t. The tanks with the rounded headlight guards and individual lights are the “Mod. A” conversions, those with the flattened guards and paired lights are the later, improved “Mod. B” (there were no new-built M48A3s, all were converted from older tanks). It looks like the USMC in Vietnam only got Mod. As, while the US Army had both, and I think the ARVN probably only had the Mod. B (but I may be mistaken, as I didn’t actually check before writing this :smiling3: ).

In the end, though, it’s your model, so feel free ignore my comments if you want :smiling3:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The non-bulged version had vision blocks in it, the bulged version didn’t, I remembered after my previous post.

They didn’t. The tanks with the rounded headlight guards and individual lights are the “Mod. A” conversions, those with the flattened guards and paired lights are the later, improved “Mod. B” (there were no new-built M48A3s, all were converted from older tanks). It looks like the USMC in Vietnam only got Mod. As, while the US Army had both, and I think the ARVN probably only had the Mod. B (but I may be mistaken, as I didn’t actually check before writing this :smiling3: ).
In the end, though, it’s your model, so feel free ignore my comments if you want :smiling3:

well, Applied or not, new-to-me information can only be a good thing, and I'm happy to be better-informed now !