Zvezda 1/35 T-28 Medium Tank

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That exhaust looks the dogs mate , lovely shades .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I used my sharp sprue cutters to cut as close as possible to the part, then found that using a new scalpel blade, a combination of scraping & shaving cleaned the aerial up nicelyframe aerial.jpg
aerial extracted.jpg

It's important to support the backside of the part, as you work on it -it helps if you use a narrow blade ( I always use Swann Morton 10A blades ) - a larger blade, and you can 'dig in', not to mention draw blood!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Dave. I did have visions of snapping it at the first cut, but thankfully not.

D

Deleted member 7181

42C in the shed so I was back at the kitchen table, cutting & cleaning.

Started with the 40 rubber clad road wheels (I've already done the steel ones). 4 sprue gates each and a mould line, this was going to take some time. I can't believe you armour guys do this regularly for fun :smiling5:

nTBobqo.jpg

I quickly decided I needed a dedicated sander so made one up with a hard 240 side to swipe off the scars, then a softer 500 side to smooth out all around

RZnY7SO.jpg

I enjoyed that so much :upside: that I did the individual track links too. Shortly after freeing them all from the sprue I realised it would have been much easier to paint them first. Oh well.

YJUWUk8.jpg

Laid them all out and nipped into the shed to give them a coat of Mr C 28, Steel. It dried almost instantly but will give them an hour or so before flipping them over and doing the other side. In the background you'll see the rattle can lids I've liberated from work. We get through dozens of these and they make handy storage containers for small parts.

loqMMAE.jpg

rc0P1dX.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Started with the 40 rubber clad road wheels (I've already done the steel ones). 4 sprue gates each and a mould line, this was going to take some time. I can't believe you armour guys do this regularly for fun :smiling5:
Only forty? Try a rubber-tyred Tiger next time :smiling3: But yeah, suspensions, and especially cleaning and painting the wheels, are the least enjoyable part of armour modelling for me.

I enjoyed that so much :upside: that I did the individual track links too.
Mind on zero, gaze on infinity (that’s Dutch a bicycle racer’s proverb). Or have music on while you do this on autopilot :smiling3:

Reactions: JR

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Music definitely helps with repetitive tasks, but not fiddly ones, depending on your taste and propensity for spontaneous and uncontrolled rhythmic movement!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
That's why I moved away from armour and started on wheely things.

• Sad
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, I did have Steve Wright on in the background. To be fair it wasn't the monotony but the cramp in my hands that made it literally a pain. I'm not used to holding so many tiny parts one after the other in the same position so my thumb pretty much seized up :thumb2:

Checked through the instructions and I only seem to need 28 of the individual links anyway! Might be an opportunity to scratch up some kind of bracket to hold a few spares. It carries 6 additional roadwheels so might as well have a few extra tracks.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As I recommended to Mr Race - Spotify - you can listen to virtually any music - I have speakers hooked up to my computer ( OK, you get some adverts ), and I have rediscovered some of the albums of my youth ( Tangerine Dream, Camel..........). You can build your own playlists, and after a while, Spotify will generate playlists for you based on your choices ( many, many hours )- you can subscribe to get advert free listening - but for free - I'll put up with adverts! Classical music, folk, rap, garage, grime - everything - I never thought I'd listen to Eminem!!!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah yes, Spotify would be a good call. I have a load of music on my server that I could stream to the shed but at the moment I don't even have a radio out there so I work in silence!

Forgive the Blutack but how does this look for a track storage idea? Impromptu field mod is the look I'm going for. Would probably make it bigger to house 6 links, with 2 upper brackets.

hQFQxzN.jpg

Also finished playing around with the tarp. Trying to blend acrylics for the first time so brutal honesty accepted :smiling2:

D6ZCEk3.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Paul, will have a go at making something more permanent tomorrow.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes, I did have Steve Wright on in the background. To be fair it wasn't the monotony but the cramp in my hands that made it literally a pain.
Ah, yes. Small(ish) wheels are always even more fun because of that. With the last Sherman I built, after trying to clean up just one wheel by hand, I took the rest to my father’s lathe and just turned a little bit off the tyres to get rid of the seam for exactly the same reason. Of course, these wheels had a hole for an exile through them, which made that much easier than with the ones on your kit.

Checked through the instructions and I only seem to need 28 of the individual links anyway!
Best to make sure of this — you may actually have more to spare, or OTOH, might need more on the model than the instructions tell you. This is more likely to be the case with separate-link tracks, though.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the word of caution. I have some time today and the temperatures have dropped so will go for a full mock up of the suspension and tracks. The instructions have been wrong in enough places now for me to not take anything for granted.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim. Not looking forward to painting all those fiddly bits but it's all part of the fun I guess :smiling3:

Got some primer on it today. There are a few spots that need a bit of attention but on the whole I'm happy.

JXBuIjQ.jpg

uEtEWPj.jpg

And the added track link storage doesn't look out of place. To me anyway lol. Upper brackets will be added after paint, along with the tools & tow cables etc.

z5j6mgR.jpg

Still haven't made my mind up about the colour scheme....

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dang Scratchy,

You are certainly going at it here Sir!!! Love the primer job and the antenna is still in one piece too. Road wheels and indy tracks are all mind over matter and can either be therapeutic or make you bonkers. The exhaust looks really sweet with the finish you achieved on them.

Andy, whatever color scheme you chose, Don't let that Stevie try to change your mind. Remember, he lives in a Plymouth and I don't think it's a station wagon either...……………..

Prost
Allen

PS, I like the tootsie roll too!!!