1/72 HMS Iron Duke - Type 23 Frigate

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Garry them pics should give you some idea's on lights on her but if you dont want the pics of my norfolk on your thread just say so an i'll remove them ok
chrisb

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Jim

Kind of you to say Neil

Thanks Ian ;)

I still have a long way to go to get to Chris's level, but thanks.
BUT Garry you will get there an with a little help from us all on this wonderfull forum have fun an enjoy the build
chrisb

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow ! Like the way you set about this build Garry , she's certainly a size alright .
Nice work with the ply base frame and covering . Chris is going to be in his element with this .
Will follow along please .

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
Wow ! Like the way you set about this build Garry , she's certainly a size alright .
Nice work with the ply base frame and covering . Chris is going to be in his element with this .
Will follow along please .
Thank you John, you are welcome to pull up a chair.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
I am fashionably late to your build Noah Garry. I apologize for that. When I first saw this and the first few pictures, I thought you knew something that we didn't. Like maybe it was going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights or the like. I then thought about how you were going to collect all the animals 2 by 2. Reality stepped in, as I know there are no Grizzly Bears in NZ and you hadn't made compartments for them all to live in...What a relief!!!...

All kidding aside Sir, this is going to be one heck of a build and I will be watching. I only hope you drive a station wagon as it looks massive and won't fit in VW Polo for transport. Have fun and watch out for splinters........

Prost
Allen

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I am fashionably late to your build Noah Garry. I apologize for that. When I first saw this and the first few pictures, I thought you knew something that we didn't. Like maybe it was going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights or the like. I then thought about how you were going to collect all the animals 2 by 2. Reality stepped in, as I know there are no Grizzly Bears in NZ and you hadn't made compartments for them all to live in...What a relief!!!...

All kidding aside Sir, this is going to be one heck of a build and I will be watching. I only hope you drive a station wagon as it looks massive and won't fit in VW Polo for transport. Have fun and watch out for splinters........

Prost
Allen
Haha Allen, we have just had our rainy season, and the associated floods, so I'm a bit late in that regard.
You are right it will be quite a build, and I aim to have lots of fun on the journey.
Not to worry I have a Land Cruiser to carry her in, so should be fine.
Garry

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Garry looking good yes you got the right batt 12v 9amp hr but now i dont want to confuse you on this but to get her to float right i have a two batt system the 12v 9amp hr is fitted amidships to work just the ESC an motors as they will be hungry on power at some 30 amps or more

so i have another 12v 3amp hr smaller batt fitted in the hull just below the hanger bay an this batt runs all the lights an ive also fitted in a 6v reducuer unit that takes 12v an cuts the power down to 6v to power the R/X so no small batts to work the R/X if you see what i mean so all in a two batt system workin through two switches fitted on the deck if this is not clear to you i'll try an post a wirein diogram for you but if you not happy with that idea then you go with how you understand it ok
ATB Garry an you are doin fine on this model brilliant Sir an have a nice day
chrisb

ps Garry if you want to get one of the 12v down to 6v reducers then look on your ebay an they sell them at about a fiver ago so not exspensive as they do all sorts of reducers power cuts down eg. 12v to 5.3 v an 12v down to 3v AN i find them very handy to use an they are not very big about an inch or so sqaure an i have in my norfolk the whole range to work things that are low power ok an if you want some pics of these units i will post some pics for you ?

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
HI Garry looking good yes you got the right batt 12v 9amp hr but now i dont want to confuse you on this but to get her to float right i have a two batt system the 12v 9amp hr is fitted amidships to work just the ESC an motors as they will be hungry on power at some 30 amps or more

so i have another 12v 3amp hr smaller batt fitted in the hull just below the hanger bay an this batt runs all the lights an ive also fitted in a 6v reducuer unit that takes 12v an cuts the power down to 6v to power the R/X so no small batts to work the R/X if you see what i mean so all in a two batt system workin through two switches fitted on the deck if this is not clear to you i'll try an post a wirein diogram for you but if you not happy with that idea then you go with how you understand it ok
ATB Garry an you are doin fine on this model brilliant Sir an have a nice day
chrisb

ps Garry if you want to get one of the 12v down to 6v reducers then look on your ebay an they sell them at about a fiver ago so not exspensive as they do all sorts of reducers power cuts down eg. 12v to 5.3 v an 12v down to 3v AN i find them very handy to use an they are not very big about an inch or so sqaure an i have in my norfolk the whole range to work things that are low power ok an if you want some pics of these units i will post some pics for you ?
Hi Chris, I have 3 other battery packs which will be used to power anything else that I want to, so I'm pretty happy with that arrangement.
I have a power converter, input from 6-18v and output to 3v,5v,6v,9v,12v or 15v on hand if I need to use it.
I will be installing inline fuses and isolations switches to all the circuits, as well as a main fuse on the 12v positive side.
The 12v battery weighs in at 2.5kg and the 3 battery packs together about 1kg, so I may need to add some more ballast somewhere, but I'll see at testing stage.
You have a nice day too.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
The basic structure of the missile silos is pretty much done now.
Then a pic of The Duke, with all the superstructure loosely fitted.
Now I need to get into filling and sanding of all of it, before I can start on the next phase.
I ordered some bits from Fleetscale a month ago, but with Peter being ill, Justin has been battling to keep up, so I'm not sure when that order might arrive.

CC6A4E85-1460-43D8-A268-A83174DF0790_1_201_a.jpeg
283C5E3C-4BA6-47F1-9EE1-DE027FB0AF88.jpeg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN very good Garry you are on the right track an that seawolf missle silo looks spot on an how are you goin to uplink the eletrics to the S/S ? JUST long wires with a plug at the bottom or like i use the COMPUTER D CONNECTERS ? as i find they are very good but up to you on that an you say a person is ill at fleetscale well i hope the person gets better soon an you get your parts soon as it annoyin if you cant do that bit an you have to make a fresh start on some other bit but your I/D is comin on very well please keep the updates comin as we are enjoyin this build
ATB
chrisb

Last edited:

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
LOOKIN very good Garry you are on the right track an that seawolf missle silo looks spot on an how are you goin to uplink the eletrics to the S/S ? JUST long wires with a plug at the bottom or like i use the COMPUTER D CONNECTERS ? as i find they are very good but up to you on that an you say a person is ill at fleetscale well i hope the person gets better soon an you get your parts soon as it annoyin if you cant do that bit an you have to make a fresh start on some other bit but your I/D is comin on very well please keep the updates comin as we are enjoyin this build
ATB
chrisb
I have both RS232 D connectors, as well as JST connectors, so it will end up a combination of them both, with a few terminal strips as well.
Yes, it would be nice to get the bits from Fleetscale, but I have plenty to get on with in the meantime.