Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite premium edition

First Name
rob
ive done two 1.350 ships and bought the pe add ons. i agree that most of it is pointless unless youre that fussy . ive made a rule to myself now...just buy standard pe railings and ladders for them. a lot of it is just too small for the naked eye. its like buying pe eyelashes for a 1.35 figure!!!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
ive done two 1.350 ships and bought the pe add ons. i agree that most of it is pointless unless youre that fussy . ive made a rule to myself now...just buy standard pe railings and ladders for them. a lot of it is just too small for the naked eye. its like buying pe eyelashes for a 1.35 figure!!!
Your spot on , I have just finished the cranes for it and it tells you to put these little pieces on the crane body and you can't even see them in the photos , I'm not that fussy so I'll leave them off

Lol at the eyelashes

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
LOL, yep, and to be honest you don't want to do that with the work that is going on in your build. What you could do is wrap the hull in cling-film this way the silicone doesn't stick but attains the shaped the hull, this way you could remove the boat easily if you wanted to.Si:smiling3:
This model is looking really good Alan...that P.E. would see me off, top marks to you for perseverance!

I used the same method as Si suggests for my Lifeboat dioramas....With using cling film I managed three dios. with one boat!

Don't skimp on the cling film, make sure it's well up the hull sides. I virtually wrapped the whole model in the stuff.....Silicone has a habit of getting where you least expect it!. Don't be tempted to remove the hull straight away, leave it until the silicone has gone off.

Ron

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks Ron it is curtainly an experience from looking at the plans and seeing the detail of it it is not for the faint hearted and you really do need patiance but I'm not one for giving up :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think someone posted in the wrong thread lol

What do you think Andy :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the last time I built a battleship was a Heller Scharnhorst around thirty years ago. I am really amazed at how much they have progressed and just how well made these kits are nowadays. It makes you realise that Tamiya are not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all of multi media kits any more and thier old benchmarks of the Bismarck and King George V could do with a serious makeover.

Many thanks for sharing this with us though, it is a fascinating build and I think your perseverance with PE is beyond that of most of us, me included! That mast array is going to look really good on the model and just a bit of carefull rigging will bring the whole thing to life.

One thing I would be cautious with and that is thinking of the scale when it comes to weathering. To try to imagine the correct scale of the effect I try to print out a real photo at around the size of the model. A lot of weathering on a model of this size would simply not be noticeable if you were looking at the real thing from a distance that made your view the same size as the model. This is such an easy thing to forget when modelling, especialy in smaller scales and something always worth remembering. The colour of weathering is also something to consider as you are not trying to generate the stronger shadows that you would be after in say a 1/32nd aircraft interior but much more subtle changes and shades that you would see on a ship at a distance. The trick is to keep the washes lighter in colour so the changes are there but less noticeable.

Just a couple of thoughts which may be useful. At the end of the day the ship is looking superb so be well pleased with yourself.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Well now that someone has got over taking credit for my work I shall post the latest update for MY work lol

All pe for boat deck now complete View attachment 71478

No big problems here apart from the cranes they are fiddly for a novice

The only problem here is the instructions I followed the pe instructions for the boats only to find they don't match with the kit instructions so I've had to put a 32 foot launch on the boat deck

image.jpg

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think the last time I built a battleship was a Heller Scharnhorst around thirty years ago. I am really amazed at how much they have progressed and just how well made these kits are nowadays. It makes you realise that Tamiya are not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all of multi media kits any more and thier old benchmarks of the Bismarck and King George V could do with a serious makeover.Many thanks for sharing this with us though, it is a fascinating build and I think your perseverance with PE is beyond that of most of us, me included! That mast array is going to look really good on the model and just a bit of carefull rigging will bring the whole thing to life.

One thing I would be cautious with and that is thinking of the scale when it comes to weathering. To try to imagine the correct scale of the effect I try to print out a real photo at around the size of the model. A lot of weathering on a model of this size would simply not be noticeable if you were looking at the real thing from a distance that made your view the same size as the model. This is such an easy thing to forget when modelling, especialy in smaller scales and something always worth remembering. The colour of weathering is also something to consider as you are not trying to generate the stronger shadows that you would be after in say a 1/32nd aircraft interior but much more subtle changes and shades that you would see on a ship at a distance. The trick is to keep the washes lighter in colour so the changes are there but less noticeable.

Just a couple of thoughts which may be useful. At the end of the day the ship is looking superb so be well pleased with yourself.
Cheers and thanks for the info :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just got caught up, and WOW Alan, the lady is looking great, All ships are women ain't they?

The skill and effort that has gone into this really shows.

Tony.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Just got caught up, and WOW Alan, the lady is looking great, All ships are women ain't they?The skill and effort that has gone into this really shows.

Tony.
Cheers tony I'm surprising myself with this build and that's the problem ! Now OOB won't be good enough and that means more expense boo! Lol

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Looking great Alan, I seem to be making a good job of it... ;)

Seriously, top work mate, it would be bent, broken, binned if it was me making it.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Looking great Alan, I seem to be making a good job of it... ;) Seriously, top work mate, it would be bent, broken, binned if it was me making it.

I think you sell yourself way too short mate , I understand you'd struggle with the small bits but there are some nice big bits that are just replacement parts and from what I've seen of your builds you'd do well mate :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I think you sell yourself way too short mate , I understand you'd struggle with the small bits but there are some nice big bits that are just replacement parts and from what I've seen of your builds you'd do well mate :smiling3:
Problem is Alan, there are two many bits on this kit, so it would end half built. Besides, I am enjoying looking at yours I'm making...o_O

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Problem is Alan, there are two many bits on this kit, so it would end half built. Besides, I am enjoying looking at yours I'm making...o_OSi:smiling3:
To be honest mate you could leave bits off this kit and know one would ever know :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Well now that someone has got over taking credit for my work I shall post the latest update for MY work lolAll pe for boat deck now complete View attachment 70822

No big problems here apart from the cranes they are fiddly for a novice

The only problem here is the instructions I followed the pe instructions for the boats only to find they don't match with the kit instructions so I've had to put a 32 foot launch on the boat deck
Sorry Alan, my mistake.

Cheers

Andy