Academy 1/350 HMS Warspite premium edition

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The build up of green would only happen on a ship that is anchored for a long time and one that is neglected. A warship would never be allowed to get into a state, a few slight rust marks and that would be all. A warship is cleaned and painted even at sea to keep the decay, rust and cleanliness up.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
The build up of green would only happen on a ship that is anchored for a long time and one that is neglected. A warship would never be allowed to get into a state, a few slight rust marks and that would be all. A warship is cleaned and painted even at sea to keep the decay, rust and cleanliness up.Si:smiling3:
Cheers Si I will add some, :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
WANING the 15inch gun barrels on this kit come in two sizes for some reason two out of the eight have longer male adapters and don't fit snugly into the female adaptor see pic View attachment 70149

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing this build or whoever has one already :smiling3:

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You need to grind off the end that fits into gun housing, poor fit though.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
You need to grind off the end that fits into gun housing, poor fit though.Si:smiling3:
Got nothing strong enough to cut it and it's superglued and I don't want to ruin the piece it's attached to , I'll filler it and sand it down so it won't be noticeable unless you really examine it

I don't understand how it's only two pieces out of eight! How does that happen ???

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Wrong fitments added is all I can think of.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Wrong fitments added is all I can think of.Si:smiling3:
I used to work in a tool room and these are milled parts , a long length of brass goes in one end and those come out the other , not even circular grinding would throw something out that bad , only thing I can think of is if these were for another kit and they were 2 short and thought that'll do

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I used to work in a tool room and these are milled parts , a long length of brass goes in one end and those come out the other , not even circular grinding would throw something out that bad , only thing I can think of is if these were for another kit and they were 2 short and thought that'll do
Yeah, sounds like it. Probably for the Bismarck kit.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Yeah, sounds like it. Probably for the Bismarck kit.Si:smiling3:
I would think HMS Repulse or HMS hood myself or any other British battleship before 1936 :smiling3:

G

Graham D

Looking good. If it's not too late, you can get a super glue releasing agent, I keep some handy in case I get some on my fingers. I do not know how it affects plastic.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Looking good. If it's not too late, you can get a super glue releasing agent, I keep some handy in case I get some on my fingers. I do not know how it affects plastic.
Thanks graham I'll bare that in mind for future problems as you will see in my photos I've fillered the gaps and with a bit of paint it won't be noticeable as long as you don't measure them

It's been slow work over the last few days because of the 40foot derricks View attachment 70302

View attachment 70303

View attachment 70304

View attachment 70305

View attachment 70306

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Some fiddly detailing work here Alan, looking great though mate.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Some fiddly detailing work here Alan, looking great though mate.Si:smiling3:
Yes mate there is but tbh it's a bit pointless as you can't see it with the naked eye it's that small but it's a very good teaching experience

Cheers Si

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Yes mate there is but tbh it's a bit pointless as you can't see it with the naked eye it's that small but it's a very good teaching experienceCheers Si
I sometimes wonder if too much detail can overshadow the purpose of a build sometimes...I mean, if it is too small then the eye just wanders over stuff without taking it in. But, as you say, gets you used to adding stuff.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I sometimes wonder if too much detail can overshadow the purpose of a build sometimes...I mean, if it is too small then the eye just wanders over stuff without taking it in. But, as you say, gets you used to adding stuff.Si:smiling3:
Your right mate I meen there are little things on the forecastle that you'd never notice

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Your right mate I meen there are little things on the forecastle that you'd never notice
I think it is a balancing act, detailing on a large model, I mean large looks superb, however, folk, like us have a A: Not the funds. B: Not the space. C: Not the time. And finally D: A wife. That is why I think sometimes PE companies have found a place in the market for getting folk to splash out on items on a normal or mid size model that the basic kit would maybe get away with, or maybe I'm just having a moan... :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think it is a balancing act, detailing on a large model, I mean large looks superb, however, folk, like us have a A: Not the funds. B: Not the space. C: Not the time. And finally D: A wife. That is why I think sometimes PE companies have found a place in the market for getting folk to splash out on items on a normal or mid size model that the basic kit would maybe get away with, or maybe I'm just having a moan... :D Si:smiling3:
You moan away mate your right :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is one busy looking bridge section Alan, well done mate. This is slowly but surely coming together nicely.