DeAgostini's Nitro Racer

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Markie and welcome to the forums.

Yes that is a good price for the GX12 on ebay and is exactly what I paid for mine on there too. Did you get yours with or without the Carb..??

If it came without the carb, do you have the carb retaining bolt..?? as these can be hard to track down. My Engine came without the carb as do a lot of these on e-bay, there are a few complete engines for sale on there.

The Carb to buy new alone is £29.99p, so best have a look on e-bay for one as I did. I got a brand new one for £18 on there. I was fortunate in that a local model shop was able to match up a carb bolt for me. Without this bolt you cannot run the engine as the carb will just fly off.

Regards......Mark.

P

purpletimbo

Hi all

I'm a newbie to nitro and just bought my first one. A fully built deagostini astra from ebay, needs a receiver and glow starter but all seems complete otherwise, it has never even had fuel in it!!

I know they are dear to buy in bits but £40 with all the mags sounded too good to miss.

Only thing missing is it has a large silencer not attached and the exhaust goes straight out under the car, is there an extra piece of pipe to adapt?

Thanks tim:thinking:

S

Seaspray

Hi all

One or two of you are building trucks. Am I too late to start building ie what issue are the truck building model on

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Hi seaspray i am upto issue 60 on the nitro truck and will get issue 61 this friday and you could subscribe to it if you want to and you should still get four issues a month even starting now,and there is no harm in trying.

You can subscribe to it by ringing the customer help line on 0870 920 1133 [monday - friday 9 am- 5 pm] Alteratively you can write to

Nitro Monster Truck

Jacklin Enterprises UK

PO Box 77

Jarrow

NE32 3YJ

or fax enquiries to 0870 920 1135 or e-mail:hachette@jacklinservice.com

P

puregooner

Hi all..New to nitro myself and that made some interesting reading..I did subscribe to this about two years ago and like some others,did have to wait a while before receiving issues.But i was patient and have nearly finished building it.its all sprayed and just now being sent a load of upgrades...but in truth all i want is the damn starter kit so i can get it going.I have thought of going on ebay or going out and buying the last few bits but i am finding that with receiving all the magazines as well it gives me a little bit of nowledge before i get going.

A

Ant

Another noobie here, and yeah building it in Oz at the moment. Just under half way through. I know it will work out more expensive than buying a kit, but it is a good way of pacing myself and picking up useful information from the mags. I also no all the components of the vehicle quite well.

Ant.

S

Seaspray

cheers dynamite sorry for the delay in answering gota work all week can't get near the keyboard till weekend will give them a ring

cheers mate

martin

Last edited:
P

Peter88

Hi have finished this car and have run for about 2 hours now with no problems. Have got a GX15 engine of ebay (£40) a set of oil filled shocks, Am also looking at getting a two speed upgrade.

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Pete,

Glad to hear you have got yours running, the running in process doesn't take long as I found out recently with my Nephew's Skyline...it seems ages ago since we did that...now we just take it out and drive it. It starts reliably everytime and just keeps going till we run out of fuel...we have even got it timed now to bring the car in and refuel it with the engine still running and then off again.....proper pitstops lol :D

My Honda NSX has a GS15 fitted and the 2 speed box, that is on a separate post on here though

Regards......Mark

P

puregooner

HELP PLEASE...have just completed the car and gone to start it..it ran for about 5 seconds and now wont have none of it...i have gone through all the procedures that the magazines suggest to do but with no joy...PLEASE HELP!!!!

S

Seaspray

Check out your power supply to the glowplug by removing the plug and connecting it to power supply, is it o.k.? careful it gets hot or might be !!!.If this alright try your fuel feed is getting to the carb and that the carb is working by rotating the engine with plug out you should see fuel being blown from the plug hole.Then check batteries/rx on board for the servos which operates the throddle arm of the carb hopefully its an i.c. car. If all of these are o.k try a richer fuel mix or maybe the engine just needs to be "run in" on a good rich mixture by opening the needle jet till it 4 strokes .Run for a few minutes,stop for a while run for another few minutes etc etc till you have run it for about 1/2 an hour .Then alter the jet till it runs smoothly in 2 stroke

Let me know if it is electric ....different problems involved

Last edited:
P

puregooner

thanks for the reply seaspray...i have looked at the glow plug and its glowing ok and i have tried starting with the needle in various positions..the fuel i have is "model technics duraglo 10" does that sound right coz as i am new i dont know...and call me dumb but how do you mean "open the needle till it 4 strokes"?

S

Seaspray

not 2 up on modern fuel names but I always used a fuel with a lot of caster oil in it to help with the tightnees you will get with the new engine "running in" and I take it you shook the fuel bottle before you filled up the cars tank. 4 strokes = the engine seems to be sluggish missing a beat careful here as too much fuel the engine will stall it 2 stroke=peak on high revs run smothly and fast as it should on a right mixture u have a 2 stroke engine. the engine could have be a little warm and not wanted to start they also have a little more adjustment on the fuel when hot.not dumb just got to learn your engine (s) and what they like best. goto www.modeltechnics.com and have a read up about different fuels and their uses and the left hand links will give you "running in" info. lets no how u get on.

if engine runs for a second or 2 the fuel is weak increase fuel slowly

if enginge hard to turn over too much fuel in cylinder don't force it u can damage piston rod remove glow turn engine to blow out fuel via the glow hole

take note of this needle setting as u don't want to be in that setting AGAIN

they can be tricky i spent days trying to start a Frog .80 diesel

Last edited:
P

puregooner

thanks for that link..the fuel i have has 9% synthetic oil..6% castor oil and upto 25% nitromethane...i take it the 10 on mine means 10%...do you think this is the correct mix i need or maybe something with more castor oil as you use? and yes i shook the fuel as it instructed me too.

S

Seaspray

It will do. As I said I am not up on the latest i.c. tech. I ran in my sons cars as previouly decribed but I have a 3 inch square piece of wood that I sit it on which allows the wheels off the ground they rotate while running in this also helps the drive and gearing to settle down to.try that.But don't do it in the shed like I did or you'll be coughing for a week I started my o.s engines with a few turns on the needle jet u will learn this position thumb over the air intake till u c the the fuel going into the carb the engine should be primed after a few more turns again u will learn this have u had any luck in running it again ? also if you fitted a dirt filter to the engine carb it will alter the revs I took ours off till finished with the running in I meant to say u can also have the radio on and use it to give the engine a rev or 2 if it needs it.

Last edited:
P

puregooner

oh right was'nt sure about having the air filter off i will try it like that and see what happens.i have been adjusting the needle a small amount at a time..what seems to be happening is its flooding quite easily..i can hear the glow plug sizzling?

S

Seaspray

shut needle jet,, remove plug blow all the fuel from inside it, rotate engine till no fuel in cylinder, connect plug to battery (carefully) and dry out the rest of the fuel in plug, turn needle jet a small turn with finger over carb air intake, u will c when the needle position starts to deliver fuel stop there replace glowplug attach battery to it, turn engine till it wants to start by slowly openng the jet small turns at a time good few pulls between this adjustment

if the engine goes pop po p pop add a little more fuel if the engine starts n runs for a second a touch more fuel if engine is hard to turn or stalls stop and start all over again. You are trying to find that magical strarting position on the needle jet its hard and your engine might tempermental till run in. Up on the block of wood and try that

try another glowplug might look good but doesn't run right when in engine you said it was flooding easily then slow down your needle adjustments and do more pulling on the start handle.

Last edited:
P

puregooner

thanks for all your input and help sorry if i was a pain but hopefully now i will be able to start it...the magazines just tell the basics really.thanks again

P

puregooner

just to let you know seaspray..just got it running for about 2-3 mins then it stalled,will start over again as you suggested.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sound advice,always run glo engines outside,the fumes are deadly,also wash your hands well otherwise you will have skin problems later on in life just like I have through prolonged exposure.

Nitromethane is a poison remember and it sinks into the skin,use a barrier cream before using glow fuel.

Better safe than sorry,safety first lads.