fengda airbrush question?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I agree with Dave. When you're just starting out in airbrushing there are a lot of variables to get used to, so why add a couple more by using home brew thinners and cleaners?
Pete

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sure. I guess I'll go with the proper tools, etc and see how it goes (when I get it all set up ;) )
I think the guys giving me advice b/4 are only trying to help my wallet ( being a skinflint)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Fair comments guys. Just thinking about costs. Proprietary products are probably best to start with.
I know I'm being niggly saying it, but it's Ronseal

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fair comments guys. Just thinking about costs. Proprietary products are probably best to start with.
I know I'm being niggly saying it, but it's Ronseal
Good old predicta text still lets not lose any sleep over it ,ill put one of thoes smiling winky faces in but they usually disappear when I press the post button

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good old predicta text still lets not lose any sleep over it ,ill put one of thoes smiling winky faces in but they usually disappear when I press the post button
I find the smileys only work when you use the icon button at the top of the text window…….those on the keyboard itself don’t work for some reason. ;)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thanks Dave. Agree with your point though. May not have been the most helpful advice for a beginner, albeit from a position of wanting to help. Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct, and I hadn't really thought it through.

D

Deleted member 9606

Dr. Strangebrush, who is a chemist, did some testing with various cleaners. Personally I use alcohol, followed up with a quick squirt of Tamiya Extra Thin Cement/Airbrush Cleaner if I’ve been spraying acrylics. I find if I just use alcohol it tends to dry out the airbrush.

By the way, if you’re going to use a mix with Windex and it has ammonia don’t let it sit on your brush. Flush it out with something else afterwards - the ammonia will attack the nickel plating If it’s given time to work.

Cleaner test

D

Deleted member 9606

That's good to know thanks.
I will test it once I have made a booth, and tested the brushes. ;)

just a thought...
can I change the needles on this brush OK?
Sorry, I didn’t receive a notification for your reply.

The airbrush in the kit you posted originally? It appears to come with three needles (and nozzles and caps which must be swapped as well). Just be careful, as nozzle threads are easily stripped. I prefer to have two different airbrushes instead - once you get into swapping out those parts regularly the guns just stop working properly after a while.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Added to favorites, thanks Chris.
Rob (Dredfx) has some great beginner exercise videos too. He's much more artwork than scale models (although we've tried to convince him to do one :smiling2: ) but it's all good practice for trigger control.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I find the smileys only work when you use the icon button at the top of the text window…….those on the keyboard itself don’t work for some reason. ;)
Same here....

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I'm back lol.
Although I haven't got it set up to paint yet, I thought I'd just test it in case I have to send it back to Amazon.
It works a treat except when I try to pull the air release with the Oring, It's very difficult to pull out (Is this a WD40 job?)
Also, the air pressure knob that one turns is very stiff.
Got any advice please guys?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The air release O ring is supposed to be stiff. It has to have a powerful spring to prevent releasing air when compressor is working. I think it is good practice to release the pressure at the end of a session using the drain plug at the bottom of the tank. Easier than the O ring and more importantly it drains any moisture in the tank. I leave the plug out until the next time I use it.
The pressure selector could just be stiff as it's new. Does it pull out to turn and push in to lock?

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks. I see the point you're making, but although I'm an old git, I still have strength in my right hand ;)
And in one of the videos I looked at it was pulled out with the guy's finger
my thinking is ...If it's this hard to move manually how is it supposed to work normally?

ah yes the pressure selector is now working, I just kept trying :smiling2:
Many thanks for your input Jim

Last edited:

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just thinking again Jim.
I was thinking it was an auto-release valve in case there was too much air in the tank, but I guess not..right?