fengda airbrush question?

D

Deleted member 9606

OK,I don't feel such a dork now ha ha
Hard to go wrong with most of the AS-186 style compressors that you find on Amazon. It’s the crappy airbrushes included in many kits that would make you want to pull your hair out.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hard to go wrong with most of the AS-186 style compressors that you find on Amazon. It’s the crappy airbrushes included in many kits that would make you want to pull your hair out.
That's good to know thanks.
I will test it once I have made a booth, and tested the brushes. ;)

just a thought...
can I change the needles on this brush OK?

Last edited:

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As some of you know I purchased my first Compressor kit (Fengda Airbrush kit compressor set FD-186K with airbrush BD-130 )
Just wondering if the theBD-=130 airbrush can be improved upon by simply changing the needles?
Bob

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Improved in what way?

Sometimes the needles in lower end airbrushes aren't machined quite as smooly as they could be and polishing has been known to help by letting the paint flow over it better.

It's a delicate process that risks bending the tip so I'd think twice unless you're already having specific issues.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes, I did wonder if changing the needles would be a good option.
but guess I'll have to use the BD-130 before I make a decision to upgrade to another brush.

Haven't got it set up yet, getting a box to convert for a booth first. :smiling2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes, I did wonder if changing the needles would be a good option.
but guess I'll have to use the BD-130 before I make a decision to upgrade to another brush.

Haven't got it set up yet, getting a box to convert for a booth first. :smiling2:

Forgive my ignorance but. You haven't used it yet so don't know if it has any issues. And yet you want to improve it?

Call me an idiot but either;
A. Use it and see what, if any issues you have
B. Buy a decent more expensive one in the first place

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes, it must sound strange, not having used it yet.
I had a lot of posts saying the Compressor etc is a good start, but the airbrush is naff :anguished:
And you're certainly not an idiot Alan. That title belongs to me.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bob i have an old Chinese airbrush that whilst isn't great, is usable to get experience with them. I still use it for large area coverage or spraying varnishes. I also learned to do fine work on it so when i 'upgraded' to my Iwata i got even better results with the techniques i had already learned.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You'll be surprised just how quickly you pick things up Bob. Practice on empty milk bottles rather than kits ;)

First Name
Andy
When I got back into modelling I bought a cheap airbrush from Bartsharp, I think it cost about £25 and came with 3 nozzles and needles of various sizes which I used with no problems, other than newbie problems caused by me until a nice kind mate bought me an Iwata for Xmas. The only thing I really disliked about the cheap one was the tiny size of the nozzles making cleaning them a bit of a pain as if you misplaced them they were hard to find among all the rubbish on my workspace.

Andy.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'm guessing that Iwata is the Rolls Royce of airbrushes. ;)
Arguably yes, although I have around £4k worth of their spray guns as the tools of my trade so I'm probably biased :tears-of-joy:

As Alan suggests I'd use it and see how you go. Once you get to a point where you feel the airbrush is holding you back, consider upgrading to something better.

I'd recommend looking at the Mr hobby range too. Iwata engineering with a lower price tag. I have 3 and they are great.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks, Andy.
Hod a look at the Mr. Hobby site.
I don't doubt they are very good, but a bit over my budget price at the moment.
As said I'l persevere with what I have right now and maybe if I spread the word. Santa will bring me one :tears-of-joy:
Probably be ready to upgrade by then.