fengda airbrush question?

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just watched this vid of my kit and am a bit concerned about the airbrush cleaners...........

Although the airbrush is a cheapo I'd like to know what brushes/ cleaner you all use, please?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Warm water, 99.9% IPA or Vallejo acrylic cleaner. I don't spray lacquers so don't need other cleaners

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I use Vallejo airbrush cleaner on acrylics.
If I make a comment though, and I mean this in the most positive way possible, sooner or later you are going to have to stop overanalysing this and paint something…..it’s the only way you will truly learn…… ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can only echo what Tim has said.....

That said I found this VERY helpful when getting an AB.

Last edited:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Practise, practise, practise. But honestly it's not that hard.
The cheap airbrush you get with the Fengda kit is perfectly adequate for modelling, base coats, primer and some detail work. Even the best airbrush in the workd will not compare with a brush without practise, and even then the two complement each other (brush and airbrush). Anything plastic is fair game for practise. Old bottles, meal trays, disposable cutlery, whatever. Have a go and see how you get on.
If you do find you want to upgrade try and find somewhere you can try the brush out. If you're looking foe the Rolls Royce of airbrushes my vote goes to the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1. But much like you would not drive an F1 car before learing to drive, you will need t master the basics dirst. For that the Fengda is hard to beat.
Have fun!

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Just
Cheers guys. IPA it is then.
Just saw the second question. Cleaner. After each use I use a mix of 50/50 windscreen wash and water to clean the airbrush. I have been doing this immediately after use before storing and have had no issues so far. I'm using Vallejo model colour, model air and other acrylics only.
If I needed to do a deep clean it would be IPA, but I have not found this necessary with regular maintenance cleaning.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just

Just saw the second question. Cleaner. After each use I use a mix of 50/50 windscreen wash and water to clean the airbrush. I have been doing this immediately after use before storing and have had no issues so far. I'm using Vallejo model colour, model air and other acrylics only.
If I needed to do a deep clean it would be IPA, but I have not found this necessary with regular maintenance cleaning.
Any windscreen was it Dale?

Last edited:

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Any windscreen was it Dale?
Asda screenwash mixed 50/50 with water from the tumble dryer. The active ingredients are butyl glycol, ethanol, IPA and methanol which is much the same as an acrylic AB cleaner. Anyway it's been working fine for me. Flush through with clean water afterwards to remove any from the AB.
For lacquers or enamels you would need something else of course, but this works fine for me with acrylic paints.
I also use a homemade thinner made from purified water and IPA, with a dash of flow improver and retarder. No issues at all so far with either airbrush, and I also started with a Fengda kit.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Yes it does John (obviously a condensing dryer).
We use it for indoor plants etc.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
One of the best ways to minimise the amount of cleaning/stripping down your airbrush needs is to ensure that the following is always done, especially with acrylics.
Air on then paint on - paint off then air off. Turning the air off last helps prevent paint drying on the needle.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
One of the best ways to minimise the amount of cleaning/stripping down your airbrush needs is to ensure that the following is always done, especially with acrylics.
Air on then paint on - paint off then air off. Turning the air off last helps prevent paint drying on the needle.
That's actually very good practice that helps prevent spatters too. I was taught airbrushing as part of my design communication course and these was beat into us.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I do feel some of the alchemy advise above is not that sound for someone starting out just buy a proprietary brand of airbrush/ tool cleaner it does what it says on the can its what its been developed for just because the formula in these other things are almost the same so what thats not what they've been developed for ,unless you want to clean your windows with airbrush cleaner because its almost the same ,oh and apparently you can build your kit with cellulose paint thinner yeh its almost the same as Tamiya extra thin thats why on the bottle of tet it says can also be used to thin cellulose paint. Please just buy a proper air brush cleaner like the rondelle advert it does what it says on the tin.