Ferrari 360 Modena

J

jono

\ said:
That's the last clear on. Didn't go on perfectly as I was rushing a bit. It will be left for a week and then lightly sanded and polished.
Unfortunately Lucy scratched the bonnet and left a mark in the door when she was bad today. Hopefully I have enough paint to sand it out.

View media item 8394View media item 8395
Looks Awesome!

John.

D

dougie

\ said:
Looks Awesome!
John.
I'm just glad that's it done. It's not as perfect as I wanted but it's time to get shot of this build soon. I'll be working in Norway for a week so it will be perfect for it to dry out ready for me to finish the rest

First Name
Marc
Good stuff. The carbon effect with the wrinkles in it may go in your favor. I don't know if you have ever really seen functional carbon parts but they are far from perfect and wrinkles appear even in the real thing.

D

dougie

\ said:
Good stuff. The carbon effect with the wrinkles in it may go in your favor. I don't know if you have ever really seen functional carbon parts but they are far from perfect and wrinkles appear even in the real thing.
Not seen any on cars mate, my bike carbon bits are like perfection! I won't get away with it fully, the light catches it differently even through the clear, didn't happen with paint imperfections which all but disappeared

First Name
Marc
\ said:
Not seen any on cars mate, my bike carbon bits are like perfection! I won't get away with it fully, the light catches it differently even through the clear, didn't happen with paint imperfections which all but disappeared
I wouldn't worry about it too much. In motorsport, less attention is paid to the finish and more to the function. For example a custom made carbon fiber part used in racing needs to be made just about thick enough to do its job. This does lead to wrinkling in the finish and a less than perfect surface. Whilst carbon fiber parts that are made for sale to the general public need to adhere to specific quality control standards they have to be made thicker and look nice not only to sell well, but be robust enough for market. My brother has a propper racing car and the carbon parts are very thin and to the naked eye quite rough in finish.

D

dougie

\ said:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. In motorsport, less attention is paid to the finish and more to the function. For example a custom made carbon fiber part used in racing needs to be made just about thick enough to do its job. This does lead to wrinkling in the finish and a less than perfect surface. Whilst carbon fiber parts that are made for sale to the general public need to adhere to specific quality control standards they have to be made thicker and look nice not only to sell well, but be robust enough for market. My brother has a propper racing car and the carbon parts are very thin and to the naked eye quite rough in finish.
Awesome info mate, cheers. Also what finish? Gloss or matt or semi

First Name
Marc
I use humbrol enamel silk clear coat. It's nicer than semi gloss it seems to add a bit more depth to the surface. Semi gloss tends to look painted in my opinion, silk has a slight texture to it that seems to pull the surface up if that makes sense..??

D

dougie

Cheers, I should be able to get that tomorrow at wonderland models.

Thanks

D

dougie

\ said:
I use humbrol enamel silk clear coat. It's nicer than semi gloss it seems to add a bit more depth to the surface. Semi gloss tends to look painted in my opinion, silk has a slight texture to it that seems to pull the surface up if that makes sense..??
Right mate, spoke with the guy in wonderland who seemed to know the humbrol range inside out. There was a small tin of enamel varnish but not silk. Then there are the acrylics of which I got satin cote. He says they have a silk in a 200ml bottle coming in the very near future but... It's not released yet. It then occured to me that enamels are possibly renowned for yellowing. I got some alclad semi gloss klear and aqua gloss - I think the semi may be ok over zero lacquer as it is also 1k but certainly the satin cote will be as it's acrylic.

Do you have a link to this enamel silk?

Cheers

First Name
Marc
Do oooh I meant satin. Sorry.:confused: what a doofus...

I am using satin clear coat which is in essence the same sort of finish as silk.

I completely balled it up there didn't I? What a plonker

D

dougie

\ said:
Do oooh I meant satin. Sorry.:confused: what a doofus...
I am using satin clear coat which is in essence the same sort of finish as silk.

I completely balled it up there didn't I? What a plonker
No apologies necessary, all help appreciated and I think I got the stuff I needed in the finish you recommended, which is all that mattered to me.

Thanks for input guys.