Rick's 1-87 Scale Kitbashed Brockway Shovel

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No sweat JR......it's just a bunch of "tech talk" re. our preferences of the shovel/boom config. we would both like to have.....gotta live within the scale limitations as well as what's available to work with.;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you Mr. Jones, still a long way to go but I'm pretty happy with what I've got done so far. Glad you are liking it Sir.:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Small update: foot pedals installed in shovel cab, grab bar on cab side and truck cab dry fitted, hinges for cabinetry installed, door latches for rear engine access installed and made a counterweight and installed at cab rear.P1012274.JPGP1012275.JPGP1012276.JPG

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Rick, the pioneer toolset went on the front flat w/o window. Sometimes a jerrycan rack was added as well as lights for night work.
Just so Mark.
Hi Paul, do you have a photo ref. or a source I can access to get an exact location for the tool set? Also for the lights and jerry can rack. I have seen jerry can racks on other rigs located behind the cab next to the spare tire....without pics. I'm having a hard time getting a handle on this. Thanks Buddy :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Today's efforts seem small in comparison to previous ones but I'm slowly moving forward with boom, dipper and bucket refinements. Also located the exhaust for the shovel engine as well as the tow hitch and tail light locations. The dipper pivot has been repositioned (deeper into the boom) and the huge blob has been milled down to a more realistic dimension.....also the boom trunions were capped and filled.....they, at least look a little less toylike. Bucket claws were shortened by half and I may remove more material as they still look like a set of four Mastodon tusks. The last little gizmo is the spool I scratched for the winch.......no idea as to what purpose it serves, but it's in all the photos I have seen of both crane and shovel, so it must be standard equipment. The last pic. is for the "uninitiated" to give a little perspective as to the size of this critter. P1012279.JPGP1012280.JPGP1012282.JPGP1012283.JPGP1012285.JPGP1012286.JPG

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good Rick. The spool on the winch is for those delicate tasks requiring a softer touch using rope instead of chain or steel cable.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you all for the great comments! It is going to be a little slower from here on out as I have to start thinking more about the boom pulleys and rigging........not my cuppa. :thinking:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Bucket refinements were not without mishap.........while cutting the bottom off the bucket the saw bound up and a huge chunk of plastic snapped off the bucket front all the way up to the Mammoth teeth!!! After turning perfectly good air "Very" blue I proceeded to make repairs and carry on......here is the result.P1012287.JPGP1012291.JPGP1012288.JPGP1012290.JPGP1012289.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WOW Rick some great work on this shovel crane sorry im late at pickin up on it
chrisb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Loving that Rick!!!! Top notch scratchery on display!!!

Have to keep reminding me this is smaller than my usual 1/72 fare!!

ATB.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb work rick, your scratchbuilding and attention to tiny details is outstanding , fantastic to watch this , cheers tony

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thank you All for stopping by and the nice comments......I still need to do something with the main boom and bucket pulleys......and then there is the "rigging" to figure out before I get some paint on this "big guy". Also still a lot of small details on both the truck and shovel that need to be put in place.....gonna be a while yet but defo is closer than it was.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
So I think I'm done with the bucket, dipper and boom mods. I still need to figure out a cradle to support the weight of the boom when stowed and then I need to concentrate on figuring out how to run the cable rigging for all this spaghetti. I made the bucket pulley/yoke moveable so it will fall naturally to its final position. Instead of gluing the pivot bolts, I heated up my soldering iron and melted them to the inside of the bucket.P1012292.JPGP1012293.JPGP1012294.JPGP1012295.JPG