Tamiya Wespe 1/35 scale.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
To day while sitting in the sunshine I used some VMS tarp paper and the liquid paper shaper.Used it before and is just the job, you can apparently use normal printer paper ,but not had to resort to that yet
First thing this morning was to glue the cases together. Once dry the paper was soaked in the solution and draped over the cases .
Using a brush and more liquid you wrangle the sheet, trying to get life like folds .
IMG_20230515_083503397.jpgIMG_20230515_163742776.jpgIMG_20230515_163654112.jpg
Once dry I'll brush paint the tarp .
Also did some chipping on the fuel drums, using Ak chipping .
Starting with the primer yesterday allowing to dry over night I applied a good coat of the chipping .Left it until it was dry and then brush painted the finished top coat.
With that dry and a bowl of clean water ready a small brush was soaked in the water .Repeated scrubbing , (not to hard as the paint was just dry) gave a reasonable worn look.
Next will be some thin lines where the barrel has been rolled and some staining around the top .IMG_20230515_163731302.jpgThanks for looking in, off to do the tea .
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, that's some pretty convincing "paper wrangling" you have on those crates...should look the bomb once painted! :thumb2:

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
JR, that's some pretty convincing "paper wrangling" you have on those crates...should look the bomb once painted! :thumb2:
Great fun to do Rick, don't know what it would look like in 1/87 though.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I've read about that VMS tarp paper stuff. You have certainly made it work. I really like VMS products so will definitely have to give it a go. Drums look good.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What exactly is the VMS solution? Perhaps it is something I could use but with a thinner type of paper. ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been looking at the VMS paper system and wondered if it was worth it over regular copy paper & pva. Looking at those results I'd say definitely yes! :surprised:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've read about that VMS tarp paper stuff. You have certainly made it work. I really like VMS products so will definitely have to give it a go. Drums look good.
Thanks Jim.
It's a great product like all of theirs, and so easy to use . Not tried any other paper as of yet. Definitely recommend.

What exactly is the VMS solution? Perhaps it is something I could use but with a thinner type of paper. ;)
Rick it's a very faint milky look to it . After soaking the paper it's easy , think you need to find a very thin paper for your scale .I see 40gsm is virtually see-through, so that would be too thin .The two most commonly used A4 paper weight is 70 gsm and 80 gsm. A look on your stationery supplier might be help.

I've been looking at the VMS paper system and wondered if it was worth it over regular copy paper & pva. Looking at those results I'd say definitely yes! :surprised:
Indeed Andy. You get a small pack of paper about 120x 100mm or there abouts . As you don't need a large size for our scale it's ok . I ended up cutting the sheet up for this anyway .
I used to use fine tissue paper that came in a shoe box , covering it in a weak solution of PVA. Not anymore !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bit more done today

First the tarp, painted this by brush .
First coat will be this dark grey , followed by a light , leaving the dark on the folds .

IMG_20230516_175044972.jpg
IMG_20230516_175030103.jpgIMG_20230516_175035942.jpg
Then those iol drums light coat of gloss varnish , followed by some AK Fuel Iol stain.
Then a hint of steel on the seams on the barrels.
Also brushed the stone sets in the gloss varnish .

Thanks for following .

John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice tarp JR.....might need to add a well placed rat or two just to add a little more interest.....they're always sniffing about looking for the odd bit of grub left here and there. ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice tarp JR.....might need to add a well placed rat or two just to add a little more interest.....they're always sniffing about looking for the odd bit of grub left here and there. ;)
Thanks Rick , fresh out of rats , might have to make one !

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a good catch up. Looking excellent John. Detail work is fantastic. Absolutely love the roof work.
Nice civilian oil drums as well. Just for info, if you ever need to do any, German WW2 oil drums were unpainted galvanised metal with unpainted iron bands. Someone on the old Milmod site did a fantastic SBS on them I remember….now lost of course :sleeping2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had a good catch up. Looking excellent John. Detail work is fantastic. Absolutely love the roof work.
Nice civilian oil drums as well. Just for info, if you ever need to do any, German WW2 oil drums were unpainted galvanised metal with unpainted iron bands. Someone on the old Milmod site did a fantastic SBS on them I remember….now lost of course :sleeping2:
Thanks for that Tim, will try to remember .Now on my 17 th book of tips ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rather late but hi .Had a good day , most of it in the sun .
IMG_20230518_155053911.jpg
Fitting the weapons , and making a few straps

IMG_20230518_155047851.jpg

IMG_20230518_155024228.jpgIMG_20230518_155031092.jpg

Just have drill out and wire a foot in each figure so they can be glued in place in the base .

Then it's " Snow Time "

Just for my buddy Rick
Some rats:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2:
Wire for tails , hopefully can bend it into shape when fully dry .
Used milliput for the body .
So small so don't expect much detail buddy .

IMG_20230518_155059883.jpg
John

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice Rats John. Build is looking good