What's on the Bench 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
While waiting for some small parts for the oldskool Sherman that somebody said he’d mail me, I’ve decided to start on the Tamiya Simca 5 I bought recently:

IMG_0390.jpeg

This is what you get in the kit, except for the figure on the right, which is from MiniArt:

IMG_0392.jpeg

And after a little bit of building tonight, I have this:

IMG_0393.jpegIMG_0394.jpeg

The front part of the chassis is still loose, so I can paint under it more easily. The next step will be to paint the body, and only then continue with the interior. Not sure what colour it will become, but apparently the real thing came in black, burgundy, navy blue, cream, grey, and dark green. I don’t want a black car, and most of the other colours will give a military impression, so I think it will either be burgundy or navy blue, depending on what suitable paints I can find either in my model paint drawers or as car paint aerosols around the house :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Trying to do some research into the real car’s colours, I came across this, that I felt I had to share, in case somebody is looking for an interesting conversion for this kit :smiling3:

IMG_0395.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Trying to do some research into the real car’s colours, I came across this, that I felt I had to share, in case somebody is looking for an interesting conversion for this kit :smiling3:

View attachment 496262
If you painted that red and yellow everyone would think Noddy had taken up a second job……

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That picture, BTW, came from this thread about the Simca 5, 6 and 8 on a French car forum. Browsing further, I found more and better photos of that conversion, which was made in 1950 on a 1938-vintage Simca 5, for a milkman in Bern. That thread is 100% recommended for builders of the Tamiya kit, IMHO.

Oh, and here’s another conversion option if you want to make your model more aerodynamic :smiling3:

pub21.jpg.9680382c34fdc0c92c8ffe678e1ed4a7.jpg

davecov

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
In 2006, I started making the Airfix 1/600 Moskva. Shortly after starting it, I set up The Airfix Tribute Forum and I was so busy that Moskva was pushed to one side. It has sat on my Shelf of Doom for 17 years and a few days ago I recommenced the build. I ripped it all apart, cleaned everything up and started to reassemble it. I still have a way to go but this is how it looks right now:
Moskva_600_2023_022.JPG

Unfortunately, I have lost a few parts and some PE but I hope to be able to scratch-build what is missing.

Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The car is now painted a nice burgundy red:

IMG_0397.jpeg

Mixed from Tamiya flat red and flat blue, much more of the former than the latter but I have no idea of the ratio as I just poured some blue into the red, mixed it, and thought, “yep, that looks good” :smiling3: It looks more red in the flesh than it does on my iPad screen, though.

It now needs a semigloss coat, I think. I want it looking like it’s in use, not as if it’s at a car show.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The car is now painted a nice burgundy red:

View attachment 496308

Mixed from Tamiya flat red and flat blue, much more of the former than the latter but I have no idea of the ratio as I just poured some blue into the red, mixed it, and thought, “yep, that looks good” :smiling3: It looks more red in the flesh than it does on my iPad screen, though.

It now needs a semigloss coat, I think. I want it looking like it’s in use, not as if it’s at a car show.
A walk in the park for you then, nice and simple. Can't believe you aren't going do something special to this though ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have been fighting on and off with a Gekko models A10 tank. Way to many fiddling little bits that could have been done just as well, just as detailed with half the parts count. But the suspension works....lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
And do they then give you link-and-length track?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Link-and-length would be more ironic, though.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
WELL this is on my bench an has been for the last 3 yrs
chrisb View attachment 471040
More like ’what bench do you have under the model?’:smiling5:

I built & started painted this kit over two years ago and it's been sat in a box since. I cracked it back open today and finally put the figures together.

Tamiya 1/35 Kettenkraftrad

View attachment 494862

View attachment 494863

Probably my longest build yet. Might actually try and finish it :smiling5:
Lovely kit - Tamiya really have raised the bar with their figures - I have this kit to be used as a secondary but it really is a kit by itself

Taking advantage of a rare moment when he isn't sat here painting or gaming, this is a shot of my teenagers bench.

I know I'm a messy worker (like father, like son) but how on earth can anyone work like that? :tears-of-joy:
My sympathies for any builder that suffers with ‘cluster bench syndrome’.
The bench is the most persistent of creatures when it comes to hoarding the clutter - I’m still trying to tame mine

Just noticed it’s your sons - starting early is good and at least he’s not using enamels and turpentine like we all used to! He will leave us all in the dust in the near future!

While waiting for some small parts for the oldskool Sherman that somebody said he’d mail me, I’ve decided to start on the Tamiya Simca 5 I bought recently:

View attachment 496241

This is what you get in the kit, except for the figure on the right, which is from MiniArt:

View attachment 496242

And after a little bit of building tonight, I have this:

View attachment 496243View attachment 496244

The front part of the chassis is still loose, so I can paint under it more easily. The next step will be to paint the body, and only then continue with the interior. Not sure what colour it will become, but apparently the real thing came in black, burgundy, navy blue, cream, grey, and dark green. I don’t want a black car, and most of the other colours will give a military impression, so I think it will either be burgundy or navy blue, depending on what suitable paints I can find either in my model paint drawers or as car paint aerosols around the house :smiling3:
Very difficult kit to find - that and the 1/48 VW - its a very neat looking kit good enough to stand on its own

In 2006, I started making the Airfix 1/600 Moskva. Shortly after starting it, I set up The Airfix Tribute Forum and I was so busy that Moskva was pushed to one side. It has sat on my Shelf of Doom for 17 years and a few days ago I recommenced the build. I ripped it all apart, cleaned everything up and started to reassemble it. I still have a way to go but this is how it looks right now:
Moskva_600_2023_022.JPG

Unfortunately, I have lost a few parts and some PE but I hope to be able to scratch-build what is missing.

Dave
Way to go! In times like this I think it’s more than just restarting what you began a long time ago. Takes courage!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Very difficult kit to find
The Simca 5? I’m not sure anymore where I bought it, but I don’t think I had to search for very long to find it. I could look it up for you, but the receipt email is on my computer and I’m now not at that :smiling3:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The Simca 5? I’m not sure anymore where I bought it, but I don’t think I had to search for very long to find it. I could look it up for you, but the receipt email is on my computer and I’m now not at that :smiling3:
It is indeed! It seems a little strange but these little kits get snatched up very quickly. Also the same for the 1/48 folks wagen

Status
Not open for further replies.