1/35 MINI-ART Ya - 12 SOVIET ARTILLERY TRACTOR. 35052

First Name
Andy
Going to look great John and at least you have another direction to go in, if it had been me it would now be in the bin. I have a lot of patience but if something goes really sideways I have no regrets about throwing stuff away.

Andy.

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At least you've still got a plan John so all is not lost, I would've have thrown it at the wall or at least back in the box!
Mark at my age you learn just to make the best out of a kit as you can, in my case a complete wreak.

Keep plugging away at it John. It will come right in the end.
Thanks Tim, the intended dio will set if off well.

Sorry to hear of your track woes John. But I'm sure it will turn out well in the end.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, all is not lost.

Cannot fault the hard work and skill John

Tracks can be a nightmare!
Thank you Bob,
Going to look great John and at least you have another direction to go in, if it had been me it would now be in the bin. I have a lot of patience but if something goes really sideways I have no regrets about throwing stuff away.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, think the older I get the more I tend to think how can I still make some thing of it. Years ago it would have indeed been in the bin.

Thank you one and all for the support,much appreciated.
Not much to show this morning as waiting for the post, and don't want the calling card.

About to mask up the front and then spray the primer on followed by Bob's favourite colour :smiling2::smiling2: some 4 BO.

Then the search for some figures, will start in the spares box to see what can be cobbled together, failing that it's a search on the web. Must find a suitable base as well.

Dzhon.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Back again, some scratchery .:smiling3:

2021.jpg2021_2.jpg

Primed the pewter and the little pe , leaving over night then spray the body and loose parts tomorrow.2021_4.jpg

Thanks for looking in.
Dzhon.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good John like the tray and so sorry about the track being a paint you will get it sorted, ;)

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good going with that battle-damage John, looking forward to seeing the tarp and impact hits. I bet itll earn you the title of Master of Disaster.

Last edited:
  • Love

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
looking good John like the tray and so sorry about the track being a paint you will get it sorted, ;)
Thanks Moni. all is not lost.

Good going with that battle-damage John, looking forward to seeing the tarp and impact hits. I bet itll earn you the title of Master of Disaster.
Cheers Ron, getting there. The tarp is always fun to make, just tissue paper and pva over a film cover.:thumb2:.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning all, a lot done this morning as had to get up at some ungodly hr as Kia came to collect the car for its service and mot.

Having had breakfast by 0700 ! ( Far too early these days ) I set too and did the primer using AK rust.

Leaving that to dry I attacked some figures, performing some extensive surgery . Taking a note from Neil's use of wire to make the join and twist into shape.

I'll need to add some filler and attempt to redo the jacket bottom. Luckily two of the figures are under neath the tractor so most of them will not be noticeable.

2021_13.jpg2021.jpg2021_2.jpg2021_14.jpg

2021_16.jpg

Quite please so far, will start on the tarp next. Cling Film ready, tissues to cut and away we go .

Dzhon.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
coming along well i do like the working figures nice idea, ;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Health warning next time please before showing surgery photos. It's not good for my constitution don't you know. :smiling5: :cool:
Steve. Please for give me, I forgot you had a phobia of minor first aid !:tongue-out3:
Moving along at a good pace John, looking good.

Andy.
Thanks Andy, I soon get over the failed parts and just crack on with the ( for me best bits) the buildings. Saying nothing about the forthcoming fire ! :smiling3::nerd:
coming along well i do like the working figures nice idea, ;)
Thanks.
Quite pleased with the figures Moni, not up to the best on here but fun to try, and not having to buy yet another box of 5 and use 2 or three !

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A minor aside regarding first aid............... At sea, I was woken up late morning ( I was on a night watch ) by the mate & told that the apprentice had cut his leg open, & I was needed to assist in stitching him up. I protested that I'd never stitched any one up. The mate laughed and told me that I was to hold him down, as he wouldn't keep still ! - I was in my prime rugby days then - 6'1" & 15st....................
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad to see you inspired,John!
Thanks Neil, trying and most of all enjoying the attempts. Its a good job most of the two under the tractor won't be seen :smiling3:

A minor aside regarding first aid............... At sea, I was woken up late morning ( I was on a night watch ) by the mate & told that the apprentice had cut his leg open, & I was needed to assist in stitching him up. I protested that I'd never stitched any one up. The mate laughed and told me that I was to hold him down, as he wouldn't keep still ! - I was in my prime rugby days then - 6'1" & 15st....................
Dave

:anguished: Sounds like a nightmare , did he survive ?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Greetings .

Removed the tarp from the tractor as the glue is now dry.
2021_8.jpg
Doesn't matter about the small tear in the bottom left.

2021_7.jpg
As it looks on.

Meanwhile the base is progressing well.

Using a picture frame, note the glass is left in. This ways it's trapped between the foam board and the hardboard backing.

2021_2.jpg

First I took the cheap foam board and stated to use that, soon realised why I don't like it, the removal of the paper front is hard, and the foam its self is no where as good for imprinting as KAPPA LINE.

Using normal UHU to stick as its paper to glass, followed by paper to paper for the pavement.

2021_3.jpg

I lightly cut the back paper prior to fixing as removing the front paper can and normally causes a bend to occur. You might just be able to see the cut lines , I can't, but they are there.:smiling3:

Then it was stuck down. the core exposed, ready to stone set and pavement paper face removed and glued.

2021.jpg

Also cut out the building front again using 5 mm F/B, I've found that using a 10 mm there is less chance of a curve occurring when you remove the paper front, but to save using a 10mm board a backing of another

5mm glued paper to paper face around the window openings and edges will stop this happening.

The board for the building front will retain the paper front until the openings are cut and the backs prepared.

2021_6.jpg

To gauge height I use my Russian Building guide.

This I made some time ago after having spent hrs searching the net for ceilings and floor heights.

2021_5 correct way.jpg

Now really enjoying this part. :nerd:
Off to mark out the building.

Thanks for following, the comments and support..

Dzhon.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice base work JR.......I know this is your Forte so it probably won't take you long to get all the particulars of this out of the way. Is there a back story to this scene or did I miss that along the way?
Rick H. :thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice base work JR.......I know this is your Forte so it probably won't take you long to get all the particulars of this out of the way. Is there a back story to this scene or did I miss that along the way?
Rick H. :thumb2:
Hi Rick, and thank you. No I don't think you missed it, the tractor had been hit, and the load area suffered the most damage. The engineers decided to salvage as much of the engine as they could. Don't suppose in reality this actually happened as I don't believe the Russians were like the Germans who thought nothing of taking a complete engine out of a tank and replacing. Must have a look now I've mentioned it .

Found this after a long search .
Soviet planners and weapon designers thought of a pieces of equipment as short-term disposable items rather than pieces of long-term capital equipment (as Western military thinkers consider their equipment). Because the Soviets treat weapons as consumables, they had not built a massive field-level maintenance-and-support organization to support their troops in combat.

Last edited:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, heard you had a bad run with some indi link tracks...if it makes you feel any better just look at this...
...and it isn't even indi link tracks but full rubber tracks. I have some bad days too. Haven't touched this kit in more than fifteen years before indi tracks were popular but will take a deep breath and pry it apart and work it like an indi track since I know now it's possible.

Track.jpg

Good recovery on making it a disabled tractor in need of repair. :thumb2:
You're now on your favorite section of the build so full steam ahead.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, heard you had a bad run with some indi link tracks...if it makes you feel any better just look at this...
...and it isn't even indi link tracks but full rubber tracks. I have some bad days too. Haven't touched this kit in more than fifteen years before indi tracks were popular but will take a deep breath and pry it apart and work it like an indi track since I know now it's possible.

View attachment 428707

Good recovery on making it a disabled tractor in need of repair. :thumb2:
You're now on your favorite section of the build so full steam ahead.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, yes seeing that does give me some hope.:smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Frankenstein figures look fine. Really fit as mechanics. Tarp looks to have worked well. Base is off to a fine start.
..... after having spent hrs searching the net for ceilings and floor heights.
That's serious research.
Kia collect your car - that's good. I had to take mine and kill time at the main dealer although to be honest I only used the main dealer as the car was due a recall. Normally I use a local garage who are great but even they don't collect.
Jim

• Sad