An American Spy Ship?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen...it is rather sad it's going to be finishing soon. Glad both of you like the build.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, here are some piccies of the weathered Oxford with pin wash's and matt varnish.

G193.jpgG194.jpg

The top angle shows the busy deck...

G195.jpg G196.jpg

I have to gloss the red light at the head of the rear mast.

G197.jpgG198.jpgG199.jpg

The close ups look terrible but from a safe distance looks passable. I did most of the weathering on the hull as that was most exposed to the sea and the shipmates would have more access to the other parts of the ship to be cleaned while at sea.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Simply stunning. Those Vallejo bottles in the background put it into scale nicely.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic Richard. The sheer amount of detail in this build lifts it so high that without the bottles to give it scale it could be mistaken for 1/200 or even larger. The skill and dedication you’ve shown in this one are outstanding.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks again guys,

Richard

Simply stunning. Those Vallejo bottles in the background put it into scale nicely.

ATB

Andrew
Yup! I was thinking something familiar might help with size scale.

Fantastic Richard. The sheer amount of detail in this build lifts it so high that without the bottles to give it scale it could be mistaken for 1/200 or even larger. The skill and dedication you’ve shown in this one are outstanding.
Jim, the references keep showing stuff up but I have to stop at some point. :smiling2: It will be a while before I do another 1/700 kit.

A great job Richard. PaulE
It would be great if it was a job instead of a hobby but I'm lucky for it to be a hobby anyway.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lets us know when it's arrived, pluss a photo of the packing would be nice .
Certainly enjoyed watching this build, shows great skill and determination Richard.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WHAT Tim has said Richard cant put in any beter fab model
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Aw gees, sorry about that Tim, don't know what made me type J instead of T.

Thanks Scottie until I suddenly miss-call someones name :smiling6:

Thanks Neil...I'm amazed myself as well :smiling5:

Thank you John...I'll lockdown everything and show you pics.

Much appreciated Christopher, my 5 months of work can't equal your 5 years.

Here are some updates...

Did some work on the seascape filling out the gaps and lightening the edges near the hull...

G201.jpg

Then tried my hand at painting the signal flags and Old Glory. I believe the Stars and Stripes will be on the main mast when the ship is at sea and no flags on the bow and stern. The two round conductors are made from Gesso...they'll be painted orange.

G202.jpg

That's it for tonight...catching some zzz's

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(Richard quote)

Much appreciated Christopher, my 5 months of work can't equal your 5 years.

YEA Richard i understand what you mean but at least you have built a fantastic model even though its small but the detail is out of this world an compared to my tiger build you have built a model ship but i feel as though im stalled on my tiger build as im just building boreing bits that are on the ship an got to be built an they are very awkward shape an im not even bothering to take any pics of them hopefully when they get built they will look instreting they are the guns deirectiors an its taken me weeks to get them lookin like they should
chris

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

This is really an outstanding piece of mini construction, very well done. Now you know me and always have a suggestion. Believe it or not there is a science to ships waves that could rank alongside rivet counting as a sign of OCD. However the wake in your ocean looks to me a little contrived. The waves down the side of a vessel tend to be more asymptotic to the hull (more of a gentle curve away from the hull line) than your depiction.

ShipWake.jpg

And there are somewhat less of them.

Kelvin-Waves-1-1.jpg

And to prove how neurotic I can be here is a depiction of the science behind all this.

Having added my two cents please feel free to ignore all this baloney and continue with your superb model.

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Richard

This is really an outstanding piece of mini construction, very well done. Now you know me and always have a suggestion. Believe it or not there is a science to ships waves that could rank alongside rivet counting as a sign of OCD. However the wake in your ocean looks to me a little contrived. The waves down the side of a vessel tend to be more asymptotic to the hull (more of a gentle curve away from the hull line) than your depiction.

View attachment 407222

And there are somewhat less of them.

View attachment 407223

And to prove how neurotic I can be here is a depiction of the science behind all this.

Having added my two cents please feel free to ignore all this baloney and continue with your superb model.

John
HI John i think it all depends on the hull design an how fast the vessel is traveling as in the pic that ARLEY BURKE has got a very broad beam an richard ship is a fairly slim hull not built for speed an that burke is probberly goin all ahead flank at about 33 knots so bigger waves but this is just my opinion
chris

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Chris

You are clearly more expert than I am, and the hull design would certainly affect the wake. My point is purely aesthetic in that the waves that are on Richard's sea just look a little stiff to me. But as I say this doesn't detract from a great piece of modelling.

John