"Ease up Old Timer, we need your help!" Foucarville, 7th June 1944

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What brilliant and humorous posts. Thanks guys!

To read my attempted paint job of an Appaloosa has somehow managed to pass muster with someone who lives with them (Rick) and the general comments from members, are all a great tonic to keep me plugging away at this build.
Thank you one and all.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the final neddy for this build, and the third horse I've ever done. The harness's were a pain to paint, give me a cockpit canopy frame any day!
Trying to get a blend between the dark lower part of the legs and the upper brown was difficult. I've done my best.
Brush painted using Vallejo Model Air acrylics.

P1240221.JPG

P1240222.JPG

That's all the figures and horses finally done, so now I can concentrate on finishing off the vegetation.
I've also come up with some more add-ons, which I might incorporate into the model.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
second rush...
P1240237.JPG

Darker foliage. I think the top bits of the rushes need to be a bit thinner.

Back to the old drawing board.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Final stab at this.
I've thinned the tops down a bit.
It's the best I can hope for. I've just noticed a few of the reeds have temporarily stuck together, that is why some of them appear too wide.
P1240238.JPG

P1240239.JPG

Cheers.

Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking good. What are they made of? Very realistic.
Moses in his basket is nicely done and very well hidden.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
Looking good. What are they made of?
Jim
Thanks boys.
Jim - The reeds are just bits of thin paper cut with a Stanley Knife ( other makes are available!) Then painted with different shades of green acrylics.
The rushes are thin bits of straight twig.
Mix all together with a bit of thunkin'. Try, then bin. Try, then bin again until it looks something like what you are aiming for.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I managed to get 453 over during the Bank Holiday. We have made a rough and ready lean-to frame for the mill owner.

Balsa strip where the wood won't be seen and cut down coffee strirrers where it will.
P1240240.JPG

P1240241.JPG

P1240242.JPG

Tin roof next.....

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Cheating, cheating - getting in a professional! :tongue-out3: Just remember to frisk him for matches.
Good idea and it looks just right. Thanks for the info on the reeds. I knew that an idea of yours would be simple but, as always, effective.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
'Scuse me, I had 50 years or so hacking timber about. He was my apprentice, and couldn't even make a proper brew, let alone cut a piece of timber correctly!

Don't worry Jim, I coated the timbers with a fire retardant before he arrived on site!

Glad to be help with the reeds and good to see you are still hanging on in with the build too.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
and couldn't even make a proper brew, let alone cut a piece of timber correctly!

Don't be so harsh on the lad Ron! Brewing the perfect cuppa for your boss is really hard. I worked as a driver for about 5 years and never advanced beyond the official rank of tea boy!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the posts chaps.

....... and the banter.
Paul, it's difficult for me to function without it. It's been my life's blood - And long may it carry on so.... :upside: :thumb2:

Bit more progress on the lean-to.
Timbers stained. I had to do this bit. 453 cleared off!
Then I had to put up with the grebe scarpering off with the paint brush!

P1240244.JPG

P1240245.JPG

Typical, isn't it? To save a few bob, the mill owner said he had some corrugated sheets hanging around somewhere, so decided to finish the roof off himself!

Just look at them. Bent, trodden on and the profile all but disappeared. "They'll keep the water out. What more do you want?!" was his reply to my asking why it was such a balls up!
P1240246.JPG

P1240247.JPG

When I finally finish the area around the mill. I'll do all the weathering proper in one go. Including the tin sheets.

Cheers.
Ron