HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cracking pictures Dave.
On the top image it looks like the 'anti-fouling' has just been painted and I see the lads are now busily painting the port side upper hull. What a mind numbing job!

First Name
Carl
Cracking pictures Dave.
On the top image it looks like the 'anti-fouling' has just been painted and I see the lads are now busily painting the port side upper hull. What a mind numbing job!
That was my other thought, is it possible that these dry dock pictures were done showing the freshly painted red and grey but at time of picture the black strip hadn’t been added?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
My Grandfather served on HMS Monarch ( Orion Class super dreadnought ) in WWI, he used to tell me the horrors of 'coaling ship', where everyone bar the Captain, the marine band and the cooks pitched in to load coal. This was loaded via bags through scuttles in the ( armoured ) decks. - and when they finished coaling, they had to clean ship! ( Mind you there were about 800 in the crew! )
Dave

First Name
Carl
My Grandfather served on HMS Monarch ( Orion Class super dreadnought ) in WWI, he used to tell me the horrors of 'coaling ship', where everyone bar the Captain, the marine band and the cooks pitched in to load coal. This was loaded via bags through scuttles in the ( armoured ) decks. - and when they finished coaling, they had to clean ship! ( Mind you there were about 800 in the crew! )
Dave
Yeah, I read this the other day strangely enough as I wondered what all the little circular manholes were on the deck, there looks to be about 50 of them all over the main deck.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The coal bunkers were usually arranged to be situated directly behind the deck and side armour so they acted as secondary protection in case of penetrative shell hits. This was something that had to be rethought as ships moved over to oil firing. Orion, interestingly, was a dual fuel ship, burning both coal and oil.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That was my other thought, is it possible that these dry dock pictures were done showing the freshly painted red and grey but at time of picture the black strip hadn’t been added?

Just spotted something which might give a clue. If you look closely at the top picture, there is what appears to be a 'Chalk line' just above the dark lower hull colour. Could this thin line be where the boot topping will be?
Also, the lower image shows what looks like a light coloured strip of paint above the darker colour. I suspect this is just some sort of reflection.

First Name
Carl
I have neither question regarding gloss level on ship paint. In particular the hull red colour. I have to say it looks very nice with a glossy red but were they glossy or would the red have been very Matt coloured?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I can say that modern anti-fouling bottom paint is satin - but hull plating is not that smooth - it may look it, but close to it's pretty rough, so I don't think that gloss would be appropriate!
Dave

First Name
Carl
Can anyone help with these instructions. I find some of these PE parts difficult to see how they fit. Take the attached picture below. It’s a small deck that fits up on one of the masks but the PE33 (photo etch) looks difficult
To place. Does it glue on its edge like a fin pointing down from the underside of the deck?
38A0B185-F07D-412B-A402-BCA340D0528B.jpeg
image.jpg
after some deliberation I think it has to be like a shark fin as per my picture. Hopefully someone will agree?
NOW REVISED

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Can anyone help with these instructions. I find some of these PE parts difficult to see how they fit. Take the attached picture below. It’s a small deck that fits up on one of the masks but the PE33 (photo etch) looks difficult
To place. Does it glue on its edge like a fin pointing down from the underside of the deck?
View attachment 411561
can't see it!!!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Carl i think you have fitted it right as i think this is a strenghtening gusset to help support the platform as i have fitted loads of these on my ships

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The hull red looks pretty good to me! The PE looks spot on as well. Nice progress.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I hope I'm wrong, but shouldn't the right angle on the bracket be flush with the edge of the platform slot, so it abuts the mast when the platform is glued to it?

First Name
Carl
The hull red looks pretty good to me! The PE looks spot on as well. Nice progress.
Thanks Tim, Listening to the various discussions I felt that the hull was basically more red than brown but having been very lead based was probably a slightly dirty looking red. I think the combination of my first colour as a base coat and not putting the red on too thick has given it the balance I was looking for.
As was mentioned there is no definitive colour but something between not too brown and not too red is probably more accurate. Either way, that’s what I’m sticking with now.
I can see this project is not gonna be plain sailing..