HMS DREADNOUGHT 1906

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN very good Carl an hope you crack it an the same with Bob as if you do then hopefully it will work on Bob's mojo TO HAVE ANOTHER GO
KEEP UP THE GOOD MODDELERILING you are doin great
chris

First Name
Carl
Ok, so after some
Perseverance I have managed to get all three colours back on the hull and this time without bleeds. It’s come up surprisingly well considering it was not looking promising the other day. At least now I can start to move on to the Super structure which I’m sure will have its own challenges.
Progress so far.
5E417A29-12A5-4909-93C1-ED96BB3C1ACF.jpeg2178839F-526D-4875-9148-4B4131AD9C6A.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Carl,
that's looking really good - have you any thoughts on the base - or will you use the Trumpeter one? I always think that two simple turned brass columns into a nice piece of stained wood really show off a full-hull model.
Dave

First Name
Carl
Carl,
that's looking really good - have you any thoughts on the base - or will you use the Trumpeter one? I always think that two simple turned brass columns into a nice piece of stained wood really show off a full-hull model.
Dave
Yes, I must admit I’d not really
Given it much thought and I suppose if I were to use some
Brass knobs I should if screwed those from the inside of the hull before I glued the top
On.
I suspect I may end up with the standard stand or else a hybrid of it that it can sit on. Must say the standard ones is not the best so maybe I’ll consider modding it nearer the end .

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Carl
All credit to you - it's looking great. Hull looks really neat. That's a good tip of Dave's, certainly worth trying. PE instructions are often confusing. All the best with the rigging.
Jim

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely Carl, looking the business !!
Off subject sorry

Did you have to cut out/ open up the loads of holes on the deck for the many deck fittings etc?

First Name
Carl
Lovely Carl, looking the business !!
Off subject sorry

Did you have to cut out/ open up the loads of holes on the deck for the many deck fittings etc?
Not according to the instructions, only two had to be drilled on the smaller deck part. All the rest are pre drilled it would appear. Whether they need opening up remains to be seen but that should not cause a problem if necessary.DA02E07C-43B6-45C6-888D-C5D18061C454.jpeg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good so far.
As far as a base goes a believable base could be wooden 'timbers' laid out like chocks used in a dry dock...

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks very nice Carl

What did you use to glue the deck in place, and did you have to do anything to the plastic deck? Sand or remove any bits, sorry to ask so many ??

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Carl,
That looks very good - I'd be frightened of getting any marks on the wood, maybe some form of masking may prevent this ( cling film? ), just removing it in bits to add parts..............
Good Luck!!!
Dave

First Name
Carl
Looks very nice Carl

What did you use to glue the deck in place, and did you have to do anything to the plastic deck? Sand or remove any bits, sorry to ask so many ??
Hi Bob,
The wood deck is self adhesive so peel of the backing and place it on and use fingers or cocktail sticks to gently roll any edges. Went on extremely easily, probably took five minutes.
the top deck sat over the lower main deck wood and this did not seem to effect the levels so I glued it down. In theory you could of cut all around the top deck as a template and removed about 1 or so mm but as I say this wasn’t necessary.
for the smaller top deck I did remove a couple of bits around two of the smaller structures as these did look slightly raised. The stacks can go directly on top of the wood. Theres still enough lip from the plastic beneath to locate and glue to.

First Name
Carl
Carl,
That looks very good - I'd be frightened of getting any marks on the wood, maybe some form of masking may prevent this ( cling film? ), just removing it in bits to add parts..............
Good Luck!!!
Dave
Yes, however it had to go on now or else I couldn’t progress so care will need to be taken. I tested some varnish on a smaller piece and it looked ok so at least I know I can varnish the whole lot together, I’m contemplating a thin coat for protection.
I have been making lots of little bits of the structure in the background so although progress seems slow it’ll get to a point where suddenly I have to fit lots of pieces in one session.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob,
The wood deck is self adhesive so peel of the backing and place it on and use fingers or cocktail sticks to gently roll any edges. Went on extremely easily, probably took five minutes.
the top deck sat over the lower main deck wood and this did not seem to effect the levels so I glued it down. In theory you could of cut all around the top deck as a template and removed about 1 or so mm but as I say this wasn’t necessary.
for the smaller top deck I did remove a couple of bits around two of the smaller structures as these did look slightly raised. The stacks can go directly on top of the wood. Theres still enough lip from the plastic beneath to locate and glue to.
Thanks Carl, very helpfull

Was wondering about sealing it and weathering?