Malayan Emergency 1/35 scale.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Great detailing work there.Makes a big difference.
Jon.
Great work Richard, lovely attention to detail
Richard, great details as always.
Excellent detailing Richard.
Thanks Jon, Mick, Scottie and Jim.
I enjoy this part of model making it seems, always looking out for something to add.
Next is the twin gun mount which I can refer either from the Humber Scout car or the SAS Jeeps from Italeri. They both have the twin mounts which just needs modifications to fit the Brens and a searchlight.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Todays progress is just the drivers vision port hatch and the twin gun pedestal mount base.
20220907_223820.jpg
It's not a solid piece but has a thin lip underneath cut from the same thickness card and glued on. Sanded the edges into shape.
20220907_223949.jpg
Added hexagonal bolt heads cut from hexagonal rod. I may drill a hole to better anchor the pedestal.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just looked at the SAS jeep and can't use that as reference 'cos the mount is part of the shield.
Oh man...this is gonna be one heck of a scratch. The cradle mount is quite intricate. The Bronco kit will be the template. Good thing I have another set with the Bren gun and attachments.
20220908_114739.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Outstanding detailing as usual. Up with your best!

ATB.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks good Richard - don't forget that the carrying handle on a Bren is always pushed down to the right (unless it's being carried of course!)
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard

Outstanding detailing as usual. Up with your best!

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, its been enjoyable until the pedestal twin gun mount.:rolling:
Looks good Richard - don't forget that the carrying handle on a Bren is always pushed down to the right (unless it's being carried of course!)
Steve
Thanks Steve, I was wondering if I should move the handle. I've seen some on the left. Is eitherway correct?

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Andrew, its been enjoyable until the pedestal twin gun mount.:rolling:

Thanks Steve, I was wondering if I should move the handle. I've seen some on the left. Is eitherway correct?

Cheers,
Richard
My mistake Richard, the carrying handle folds to the left, not the right! Losing my marbles I'm afraid! Sorry for that!
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
My mistake Richard, the carrying handle folds to the left, not the right! Losing my marbles I'm afraid! Sorry for that!
Steve
No worries Steve...marbles can be replaced by finding them and putting them back unless SWMBO has wiped the hard disc. :tears-of-joy:

Well before my hard disc gets a swipe I'd better continue with this...
The gun cradle starts off with laying the plastic rod spine on a piece of paper to absorb TET with blutac anchors. I mark out the lengths and measurements and glued spacers...
20220909_124600.jpg
I then shore up the sides of the spacers with plastic strip...the actual part is shown for comparison.
20220909_131224.jpg
I snipped off the extra bits and reversed the whole assembly resting on the extentions and added height spaces so the rod arms don't rest all the way to the bottom when I glue it.
20220909_184319.jpg
I let this cure and harden while I worked on the pedestal...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Pedestal made with a hollow tube and thin card strip wound once around the top.
20220909_235530.jpg
The mount also with thin plastic strip wound and stretched sprue as a fastener. The longer end will fit in the pedestal without glue for free spin.
20220909_235723.jpg
This is it dry fitted here...
20220909_184349.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More done with the pedestal mount still needing some trimming of protruding bits...
20220910_020210.jpg
Cradle almost done with only cutting the extra bit of spine and drilling out four areas or I could just leave it flat. The real thing is four tiny nuts that's screwed in.
20220910_020138.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Look Richard, this nonsense has to stop!!! You're having too much fun and doing too nice of a scratchy job here. I realize the change from 1/700 back to 1/35 is great for the eyes and your doorframes, but this is just too good!!! Loving this a lot, Sir............

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
Love it mate.
Look Richard, this nonsense has to stop!!! You're having too much fun and doing too nice of a scratchy job here. I realize the change from 1/700 back to 1/35 is great for the eyes and your doorframes, but this is just too good!!! Loving this a lot, Sir............

Prost
Allen
You're excelling yourself - again.
Thanks Scottie, Allen and Jim.
Don't know which hurts more, the door frame or eyes. :tears-of-joy:
I'm on a roll now and have finished the cradle and guns. Also done the insides of the hatches, painted the interior and sealed the top. It now only needs weld beading and coat of primer.
Haven't photographed the pieces yet and will get that done after dinner.

Cheers,
Richard

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Cracking work Richard, that twin Bren mount is great. Good to see this build on the go again.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Love it Richard!
Are you going to be so anal as to make a winding handle for the 100 round mags? Or, getting to know your propensity for absurdly accurate, super-fine detail, a Golden Virginia tobacco tin ... ? :tears-of-joy:
Steve

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Cracking work Richard, that twin Bren mount is great. Good to see this build on the go again.
Love it Richard!
Are you going to be so anal as to make a winding handle for the 100 round mags? Or, getting to know your propensity for absurdly accurate, super-fine detail, a Golden Virginia tobacco tin ... ? :tears-of-joy:
Steve
Crazy man..........I'm seeing double!! ;) :thumb2:
Thanks Graeme, Steve and Rick.
Glad I got the mojo to restart it.
Anal...hmmm, the body has two orifice that can be considered anal, one intakes while the other extrudes visavis, both make obscene noise...one bad language and the other bad smelling sound ...yeah, and both emit gases with regulated audio. Neither can scratch a winding handle for a 100 round magazine and neither can I. :smiling6:
I'd substitute it with a tin of Erinmore Flake.:smiling5:
I see double everytime I look away...going perpetually blind.:tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard